Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Obs
  • 2 Post By guitarzan
  • 2 Post By almostgone

Thread: Lower back on deadlift and barbell row

CAADsprint is offline Junior Member

Lower back on deadlift and barbell row

Its been a pain from years ago. Several MRIs with several doctors opinions. It's not disk related.

Deadlifts there is a dull ache. I've adjusted positions and modified it's slowly getting better but still concerning.

Barbell rows today hurt. I had to bail on them three times. So I don't know what's causing the ache if its bad muscle or shit form. Tried stretching and adjusting the angle on barbell rows as well as arch.

johnjohn84 is offline New Member
    I'm following.
    I hurt my lower back like 3 weeks ago doing supersets of bent over rows with deadlifts so id love to know what to do to help.

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Not much info to understand but do you have any tightness in the muscles involved? Tried dynamic stretching to gain some mobility before you lift? Check form?

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by CAADsprint View Post
    Its been a pain from years ago. Several MRIs with several doctors opinions. It's not disk related.

Deadlifts there is a dull ache. I've adjusted positions and modified it's slowly getting better but still concerning.

Barbell rows today hurt. I had to bail on them three times. So I don't know what's causing the ache if its bad muscle or shit form. Tried stretching and adjusting the angle on barbell rows as well as arch.
    Go to a chiropractor and dont wait. Get xrays done.
    I just started squatting heavy and I quit deadlifting.
    Are you a powerlifter or a bb?

No one here is gonna tell you anything a doc with an mri cant tell you better.
    If you have an injured back don't ignore it. I made that mistake and deadlifts and I are done.
    I build so I never max. I have no reason to load myself up like that. I have no issue with rows unless my back is acting up. I dont fuck around now though. When I know something aint right my ass is at a chiro. Luckily the new one I found trained bbs for comp so he is more familiar with these type of problems. Guy told me to take yoga and laughed when he saw that I was incapable of putting my ankle on my knee. He said if I dont take yoga my arms and legs will have the rom of a dog when I am 40. I believe him.
    I can barely wipe my ass some days.
    Last edited by Obs; 07-31-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    Chrisp83TRT and HoldMyBeer like this.

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have extremely tight hamstrings, and constantly have back issues cause of them. I'm finally starting to get them stretched a little, got a long way to go. Theres quite a few stretches to help with back issues, not sure if it'll help you are not. Some injuries can be made worse by stretching
    Obs and almostgone like this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
    I have extremely tight hamstrings, and constantly have back issues cause of them. I'm finally starting to get them stretched a little, got a long way to go. Theres quite a few stretches to help with back issues, not sure if it'll help you are not. Some injuries can be made worse by stretching
    You really got me thinking.
    Said this before and I never understood it, not being sick or joking. At the appropriate time... When about to bust a nut... I can literally pop my back into place.

When my back starts to go out I am not avoiding a chiro unless I do this. If I do, it literally fixes it instantly.

Judging from my lack of flexibility this may be the reason my back goes out in the first place.
    This is my lowest lumbar btw... It should literally be impossible to put back in like this but I do it all the time.

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Tight hamstrings are a huge contributor to low back pain. They are also rather difficult to get back to a condition where they aren't restrictive.
    I've had mine scraped (Graston technique) numerous times and it helps, but it really takes some serious stretching to regain some mobility....at least it has for me.
    As Obs mentioned, a good chiro/sports physio can be a huge help.
    Obs and OdinsOtherSon like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Tight hamstrings are a huge contributor to low back pain. They are also rather difficult to get back to a condition where they aren't restrictive.
    I've had mine scraped (Graston technique) numerous times and it helps, but it really takes some serious stretching to regain some mobility....at least it has for me.
    As Obs mentioned, a good chiro/sports physio can be a huge help.
    Hmmm, you got me curious bout that scraping deal, I'll do some research

10nispro is offline Productive Member
    Do you have any pre-existing conditions of lower back issues? Arthritis, spondylosis or spondylolisthesis, or disk issues? I have an almost grade 3 spondylolisthesis at L5-S1. And along with that I have disk between that area. It's bone on bone. With all the years of playing sports and tennis at a high level my back is a wreck. Barometric pressure screws with back pain along with being 51yrs old. Besides stretching my hammies all the time, I was also told to lay on my stomach and push up with my arms whilst keeping your hips on the ground. I thinks it's called downward dog in yoga. This stretches my abdominal area which then relaxes my lower back.

Thread Information