Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member

Bench 350 in 4 Weeks Log

Stats:
    194lbs
    33" Waist
    340 Bench

I want to hit 350lbs in four weeks, June 2nd. This is the goal I set back in February when I was benching 230x3 after a long academic/athletic year. My previous best bench was 315, so I relied on muscle memory and hard work to get me back to 260x3 by mid march. From there, a 6 week Prop/Tren cycle got me to 310x3, and it's up to me to make up the difference. My reason for making this log is to:

1. Illustrate some benching methods that aren't too common on this board.
    2. Self-motivation.

This was my benching routine since February:

HEAVY DAY
    Flat Bench 4x3
    Close Grip Bench 4x3
    Military Press 4x5

LIGHT DAY
    Flat Bench 4x10
    JM Press 4x10
    Lateral Shoulder Raises 4x10

After around 12 weeks of that and coming off the cycle, I feel my routine needed to be switched up. Obviously I made great gains with this routine, and I will definitely go back to it after this month, but I want to hit my bench from different angles for the next four weeks.

Routine for the month of May:

HEAVY DAY
    Flat Bench w/ Double Mini Bands 4x3
    Close Grip Bench w/ Double Mini Bands 4x3
    Military Press 3x5

LIGHT DAY
    Decline Bench 4x8
    Tricep Pushdowns 4x10-15
    Lateral Raises 3x10

I'm dropping the number of sets a tad to give myself a little bit of a breather. I'm also dropping the JM presses for the next 4 weeks. I gained tremendously from them, but I couldn't increase the weight last week and felt my triceps were getting too burnt out. I also want to give my elbows a breather since I'll be doing heavy band work weekly. My military press is still increasing so I'm keeping it in, but dropping one of the sets.

Follow along...

5/5/08 - 4 Weeks out

I wanted to max today to see where I stand. After warmups:

Flat Bench w/ Double Mini Bands - 185x3, 215x3, 225x3
    Close Grip Bench w/ Double Mini Bands - 185x5, 190x5, 195x5
    Paused Reps 265x2, 275x2 (Keep them easy, just enough so my bottom end doesn't suffer while using bands)
    Military Press 185x5 (3 Sets)
    Last edited by boondockSAINT; 05-05-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Diet:
    3000 Calories
    300g Protein (lots of shakes, tuna, chicken)
    250g Carbs (all rice/oats except PWO dextrose)
    80g Fat (olive oil, peanut butter, peanuts, mayo)

I'm also doing cardio 2-3x a week for an hour on an empty-stomach, first thing in the morning.

Today I did back and biceps. I'm keeping all my other exercises relatively easy so I can really focus on my bench this month.

Deadlifts 315x5, 345x5, 375x5
    Barbell Curls 100x6 (4 sets)
    TBar Rows 155x10 (4 sets - I just added them back to the routine, which is why they are so light)
    Rear Delts 4x10

Tomorrow is speed bench day.

*Edit
    Double Post
    Last edited by boondockSAINT; 05-08-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Double Post

LIGHT BENCH
    Flat Bench 245x10 (Last week my 10th rep was the worst grinder of my life, so I wanted to make sure I can hit this)
    Decline 255x8, 260x8,7
    Tricep Pushdowns 4x10
    Lateral Raises 30x4x10

5/12/08 - 3 Weeks Out

Had a disappointing workout today. I usually lift in the morning, but was forced to lift at night. Almost the complete opposite of last week's workout where I was extremely explosive. I really lacked intensity, which when doing band work is definitely necessary. Oh well, I'll try to make up for it when I bench again on Friday.

Flat Bench w/ Double Minis - 230x3,3 235x3, 240x2
    Close Grip Bench w/ Double Minis - 195x5, 200x4,4
    Pause Reps 225x2, 275x2,2
    Military 190x3,3 -> Biggest dissapointment ever, as 185x4x5 seemed real easy last week.

I couldn't end on that note, so I went back to benching. I haven't done board work in a while, so no numbers to compare to but it felt pretty good. I also want to get some heavier weight in my hands, that way 350 feels light.

Bench Press w/ 4 Board - 315x5, 345x4, 365x3

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    ya man i no what you mean yesterday was my chest day and i couldnt bench for shit. everything seemed heavier. i was down 15-20 pounds that day. hopefully next week ill be good. keep it up

Started deadlifting today and felt like crap, so I just canceled the workout. I've been eating crap all week, which hasn't helped. I'm definitely going to have to bear down these next 2.5 weeks if I want to hit 350.

On a side note, I measured the band tension today. The double mini bands add about 75lbs at lockout and 35lbs at the chest for me. Theoretically, to bench 350 then I need to get 275 plus the bands for 1 rep, or probably around 255x3. I only got 245x2 this past week, but I'm expecting better from here on out. Light bench day tomorrow.

duggadoo is offline Associate Member
    you should try and get your hands on some chains as well I use to do band and chain work out they are pretty tough but good luck on your goal... 340 pretty good youll have 350 in no time just keep at

Quote Originally Posted by duggadoo View Post
    you should try and get your hands on some chains as well I use to do band and chain work out they are pretty tough but good luck on your goal... 340 pretty good youll have 350 in no time just keep at
    Thanks man. I'd love to do some work with chains, but they are so much more expensive than bands and harder to store, carry. I plan on adding them eventually, but not in the cards right now.

I'm hoping to have a double bodyweight raw bench by the end of the year, something around 380@190.

Yesterday was 3 weeks into PCT. Still no loss of strength, though gains are definitely more difficult.

Decline Bench 260x8,8,8,8
    Pushdowns 4x10-20
    Rotator Cuff's 4x10

My shoulder was a little quirky so I opted to skip the lateral raises and do some rotator cuff work.

On another note, I videotaped my benching on Monday and realized that I am missing the highest point of my arch my about 2 inches. I'm trying to concentrate on touching really low on the declines, and hope that I can get accustomed to bringing the bar lower on my flat bench. Right now I touch about 1-2" below my chest plate, but the highest point of my arch is about 4" below my chest plate.

yopu could also try boards get a stack of 1" to 1.5" board stank em on your chest pyramid the reps from 5 4 3 2 1 and take a board out till you get down to one if pretty good for gettin the control down on each level.. that yse to work well for me I use to compete in powerlifting back when i was 18 to 21 but fell out of it after 2 acl tears and rotator cuff tear I was 181 and my personal best was 417lbs on bench but nowadays Im prolly hittin 380 on my max dont really try to hard on the max weights anymore

oh yea get a spotter to pull the boards haha and you can do different rep ranges as well its up to you...also try "dead" presses(just what i call em... get in a squat rack and and put the support bars as close to your chest as possible rest the bar there and then do a couple sets of pushing up from the whole and doin a negative down and resting the bar then pushin back up from the resting position helps with some explosion from the chest position... just some suggestions to try and give ya some different ideas

^^^ Great ideas man. I do board presses, but I really concentrate on exploding off the boards rather than where I am touching. I'll do the dead presses monday instead of the pause presses, and I'll make sure I start with the bar on the highest point of my arch. Thanks.

BTW, excellent stats. I don't plan on doing any full meets as the the PL squats/deads just take too much out of me. I love benching like a PLer though,

yea i used to dead around 505 and i was squatting at my peak around 585 to 590 but bench always came pretty easily but Im only 5'7" as well so I have a pretty short range of motion so that help as well but good luck i hope you hit your goal and beyond Ill be watchin

and i liked the dead press so that way its just explosive power off the rack instead of sittin it on your chest and not being able to breathe haha... can do more weight that way

also work on your negatives as well that boost strength as well... and the control will be better with the heavier weight and acclaimate your body to the heavy weights as well... i a good mind trick to is to put 350 (being your goal) on the bar and just unrack hold it for a few seconds and put it back then repeat it a couple times just so you start to get the feel for it
    Last edited by duggadoo; 05-17-2008 at 01:25 PM.

5/19/08 - 2 Weeks Out
    Flat Bench w/ Double Minis - 225x3, 240x3,3,3 255x1, 260x1, 265x1
    Close Grip Bench w/ Double Minis - 200x5,5,4
    Flat Bench w/ 4 Board - 315x3, 365x3
    Dead Presses - 225x2, 255x2, 275x2, 295x2

Definitely better than last week.

5/23/08

Decline Bench 265x8, 270x8,8,7, 185x22
    Tricep Pushdowns 4x20
    Lateral DB Raises 30x10,10,10,10

Barbell Curls 110x6,6,6,6,6
    Bent Lateral Raises 30x10,10,10,10

should throw some weighted dips in as well really help with negatives and the explosion from triceps and chest and howd ya like the dead press?

haha and ill high jack alittle i maxed out today for the first time in 9 months i was pretty supirsed got 375 pretty easily didnt go any further with it because I have a bad shoulder and dont feel like havin it pop out of socket again haha... oh yea and the weights are lookin good bro keep it up i think youll blow past 350 with ease

haha and ill high jack alittle i maxed out today for the first time in 9 months i was pretty supirsed got 375 pretty easily didnt go any further with it because I have a bad shoulder and dont feel like havin it pop out of socket again haha... oh yea and the weights are lookin good bro keep it up i think youll blow past 350 with ease
    Nice work. Mind if I ask your age/weight? Also, I definitely liked the dead presses. Although my first rep is usually the hardest. I have a tough time starting out with my triceps tight. Later reps are easier, even though I let go of the bar and regrip.

1 WEEK AWAY

Lot more benching than I would recommend today, but I felt strong so I wanted to take advantage.

Flat Bench w/ Minis - 225x3, 245x3,3,3, 260x1, 270x1, 275x1
    Flat Bench - 275x3, 315x2
    Close Grip Bench w/ Minis - 200x5,5,5,5
    Dead Press - 225x2, 275x2, 300x2, 305x3

Because of the long benching I skipped military again. The good news is the 275x1 with the bands is 350 at lockout, so I can definitely hit it. 350 for a full range of motion is a different story, but we will see.

ironaddict69 is offline Senior Member
    You gained a ton of strength when you were only doing about 6 reps of bench it seems like. Ill take it you warmed up before right? I do the PL thing too I love it. Only really for deads and bench tho squatting I kind of take it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by ironaddict69 View Post
    You gained a ton of strength when you were only doing about 6 reps of bench it seems like. Ill take it you warmed up before right? I do the PL thing too I love it. Only really for deads and bench tho squatting I kind of take it easy.
    I think you mean 6 sets. Yeah I make the best gains benching twice a week, but not exhausting the muscles as much each time compared to if I only benched once a week. And yes, the reported numbers are after warmup sets.

great work.

Lol yes I meant sets <--shoots himself. Do those JM presses work? I've never seen or heard of them at all?

wats a jm press?

sorry slow on the reply busy weekend Im 24 yrs old 5'7" at around 200 to 205short stocky "powerhouse" haha

youll get 350 bro with all that power work from the bands youll get it I think youll get more personally

hauss man is offline Member
    also work on your negatives as well that boost strength as well
    negatives do nothing for building strenght

Quote Originally Posted by hauss man View Post
    negatives do nothing for building strenght
    They dont?

Lol yes I meant sets <--shoots himself. Do those JM presses work? I've never seen or heard of them at all?
    Yes, they have done an outrageous job on my tricep strength over the last training year. They are similar to skullcrushers, but I feel they are better for building mass and strength and also much easier on the elbows.

hauss man is offline Member
    They dont?
    no. negatives are good for building muscle but not strength.

how so if a negative will work on stability therefore helping control the weight(strength)

and if you cant do a negative you cant properly lift so... give me your information on how a negative does nothing for strength

beefjerky is offline New Member
    It's almost June 2, how are you feeling?

24 HOURS TO JUDGMENT DAY

I was sick all day thursday, felt better friday but not great. Below is Friday's workout. My stamina was really shot. By the second sets I already felt weaker. Actual strength wasn't down though so it could have been worse.

5/29/08

Decline Bench 270x8,8,8,7, 185x18
    Tricep Pushdowns 4x15-20

Barbell Curls 115x6,6,6,5
    Lateral Raises 35x10,6,Gave up

I'm just trying to make sure I eat enough today and take it tomorrow. We will see.

goood luck

pay tribute is offline Junior Member
    Good luck, I'm anxious to see your results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information