BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

The Time is Now - the next level and beyond

While it probably has much to do with the fact that I’m more or less taking this year off, I’ve been doing a lot of reflection (more so than usual) on my training. While I have very little doubt that the average person off the street would consider me distinctly muscular, the members of AR, and justifiably so as evidenced in the members’ pictures forum, ascribe to a much higher standard of what constitutes ‘ripped’, ‘muscular’, or ‘huge’. Content in the past to appear as such to 99% of the population, I’m at the point now where I’ve taken stock in and responsibility of my training up to this point and have come to two related conclusions: one, that within a year’s time I’ll have made tremendous progress from where I am at now towards attaining that status by “AR Standards”, and, two, that my current approach to training is not sufficient to get me there.

While I have consistently for the past four years poured the very limits of myself into my actual workouts, that intensity is at best sorely unmatched in all other aspects of the bodybuilding equation, and, at worst, and more likely, woefully detrimental. An hour’s worth of work, no matter how excruciating, can not (at least in this pursuit) remedy shortcuts in other aspects of the equation, particularly nutrition. The same average person on the street I brought up above would no doubt see my diet as borderline impeccable; to my AR brethren, however, it is full of holes that have kept me from reaching the upper limits of my potential.

At this point, it is time to place the same dedication that I have accorded my workouts into ALL aspects of bodybuilding. It is time to instill that same tenacity that had me going from surrendering my lunch money three times a week as a sixth grader to becoming a two time under-18 Tang Soo Do national champion by the time I was a junior in high school. It is time to display the same resolve that found me just recently graduating from a top ten college after being told in the ninth grade that college prep courses may not be for me. In short, it is time to become a true bodybuilder, one of AR’s truly complete physiques.

I don’t expect to get there in a year, but I expect to take a HUGE step in that direction. This thread, which will serve as a year long journal of this journey, will not only allow others to follow and hopefully learn from my approaches, setbacks and successes, but keep me accountable to you guys. The journal will cover five distinct phases (which I’ll lay out in detail tomorrow), each with their own uniquely structured dietary approach, as well as two complete AAS cycles. I’ll be taking pictures throughout, but will not post any until the year is over. Hopefully the year culminates with my first competition, though whether that occurs or not at this stage, it is the decision to take my training, diet, rest, etc to the next level that truly matters. Looking forward to keeping a detailed record of this year!

talon is offline Senior Member
    HELL YEAH, BIG your my boy and ya finally got the year long journal up and running. Best of luck man. Your dedication and responsible, motivating attitude will elevate your physique beyond AR standards. You are truly a model of intelligance and shear motivation, as a student and a teacher. Your reprobation for what one shouldnt do is always there, why your simplicity towards what should be done is always top notch. It honestly seems, bro, as I read you posts and watch your evolution in the bodybuilding arena that you have gone from a small precambrian being to a top notch model of self-motivation.You honestly have never been the type, as far as I have seen, to recumbent to your goals bro. I hope the best over the next year for you. I hope your journey to the top is filled with the best.....
    Last edited by talon; 09-01-2003 at 10:56 PM.

mass junkie is offline banned
    So I take it your not going to Alaska? lol

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    lookin forward to this. I think there comes a time when we all see ways we could be improving ourselves. The key is to have the discipline to carry it out. Good luck Big Green, we had better see some before and after pics!!!! peace

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    wow talk about discipline ... im sure youre gonna have the attention of the entire board with this thread, specialy mine.

The Big Picture

Following is a macro layout of my plan of attack, so to speak, over the next 365 days or so (the micro will follow for each as soon as I get to posting them). I'll list the phases, their goals (briefly) and the dietary approach that will accompany each one. As always, this stuff is wide open to feedback from AR members, and that is, in fact, one of my main motivations for posting.

PHASE 1: "Back to Basics" Training
    The back to basics training essentially consists of temporarily forgetting all the "cute" exercises I've learned over the years and going back to the bar, plain and simple. There are very few exercises in this routine that aren't done with an Olympic bar, and those that don't are bodyweight exercises with the exception of the leg press. My approach during this phase is to get in and hit the gym hard and furious and then get out and recover. Recover is the key word here, as I'll only be training three days a week: Tuesday ('push' day), Thursday (leg day) and Saturday ('pull' day). Calories during this time will be high (in some instances at about 6,000 a day and beyond...but all clean) and cycled so that protein makes up a slightly increased % of total calories on training days but is bumped up considerably in terms of grams. The goal is simply to lay the foundation for this year's building.

PHASE 2: Recovery and Leaning
    As many of you who have read my past posts know, I'm a big advocate not only of deliberate and planned recovery periods, but a fairly aggressive leaning phase prior to a cycle - not so much for the obvious benefit of lowering bf levels before using AAS (though that's always a plus) but rather because it absolutely primes your body for growth (without getting into details here, it's essentially taking advantage of the same mechanisms that allow competitors to not only look better immediately after a show when they abandon their diet, but make dramatic gains in the immediate month or so after...but using that mechanism to kickstart a cycle). Calories will obviously be below maintenance slightly, with the current plan being to stagger days of defecit along the delta 1250 diet plan so that the week's end has me in an aggregate defecit, but each days is not an identical defecit, if one at all. Lifting will be intense, but considerably scaled back in terms of volume, as recovery is also a huge concern after Phase 1. I'll likely be temporarily abandoning some of the big lifts to allow for optimal recovery.

PHASE 3: Aggressive Flirtation with Overtraining
    Phase 3 truly represents what many would justifiably consider overtraining. It is, however, something that has worked extremely well for me in the past without AAS, and as this phase will include (relative to me) hefty doses of AAS, I expect to garner more impressive results this time around. For a limited period of time (and I stress limited, less I be shot down by the HIT proponents) I'll be intentionally building towards burnout, training 5-6 days per week, quite often hitting each muscle group three times per week, each week seeing a sharp rise in volume as well. At the point where I feel I'm just about on the fringe of TRUE overtraining, I'll back off on a deliberate and meticulously planned scale back of sizable proportions. If I have a gift in bodybuilding, I would argue it's my ability to listen to my body's feedback and get a sense of looming injuries and whether or not i'm burning out, so I feel confident that I can pull this off. Again, I can not stress enough that this has worked for me very well several times in the past (speaking in terms of growth, not strength increases), though i can see why, on paper, it would appear to be drastic overtraining. Additionally, I plan on implementing Dual Factor Hypertrophy training in the final weeks of this phase. Diet will closely mimic that of Phase 1, with adjustments made according to how I feel during that phase.

PHASE 4: Recovery and Leaning Prep
    This phase is undoubtedly the most ambiguous, as much of it depends on how well I am able to bulk without putting on excess bodyfat in the prior three phases taken together. Regardless, its true purpose is to serve as a bridge between my very aggressive bulk and the strict cutting phase to follow.

PHASE 5: Cutting/Contest Prep
    I am currently unsure if I will be entering a contest as the culmination of this journey (I'd like to), though whether I do or do not, I will finalize this transformation with a diet and cutting phase with the ostensible purpose of competing. This is also the phase where I have the most learning to do, as leaning out has ALWAYS been an issue for me. Given the naturally fast metabolism I have that found me 165 pounds at HS graduation despite being 6'1", it's an easy proposition for me to lose weight, but somewhat difficult to insure that a good amount of muscle isn't going along with it. Though my metabolism isn't in hyperdrive (I don't think I could get up above 250 with a light speed one), it's fast enough that it's a concern.

talon is offline Senior Member

Talking

Lookin good, yes, yes......

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quite frankly, i'm excited. Both for you and for myself. I've decided that the perfect time for me to begin my first cycle is around thanksgiving. I'm going to have a 3 month journal with before and after pics, so everyone keep a good eye. Green, good luck my man. I can't wait to see the kickoff of your epic battle for physical dominance.

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm subscribing to this one. This one is goign to beat my record for posts...I can see it now.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    sign me up...

"We are witnessing the making of the future ambassador to the sport of bodybuilding."
    -Jonathan Foreman, NEW YORK POST

The reviews look promising BG, best of luck bro...

~US~

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Posts like this one prove that BigGreen is one or AR's most valuable members. I hope you get the most out of the coming year buds.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Props BG! It is a huge task that you are taking on, you being the highly educated unfootball minded Ivyleaguer that you are, and expect nothing but 100%. It takes alot of smart study and hard gym work to make a 180 deg. turn in physic and mind! Good luck! And don't get down if you start to feel like your "plateauing" because that should never happen, and I know you know that! Kick that Ass Bro!

SID

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    Bro, I just wanted to say a personal good luck .. I'll be a definite follower of your progress. I'm currently in a similar training/rebuilding stage in my life, so I hope your future success will in some way help my own progress. Train smart!

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    good luck bg alot of what you are laying out here in your plans are what i have been reading about lately so for once i know rite where you are headed. Have you seen anything on protein cycling as well??

Executioner is offline Banned
    i'm with ya on this one buddy if anyone can do it, your definitly the man. best of luck

PHASE 1 WORKOUT SPLIT - "Back to Basics"

During Phase One, the breakdown of the split is that of a MWF one, with Monday being "Push Day", Wednesday "Leg Day" and Friday "Pull Day". I know this seems to go against my constant preaching that you shouldn't have a "leg day" in your routine, but rather, separate workouts/days for calves, hams and quads...but that largely applies to workouts that insist on insanely broken up splits with a separate day for bis, a separate day for traps, yet one day for "LEGS"..that's what I don't like. Plus, this training approach, both in its frequency and exercise selection is a major part of my philosophy that you need SUBSTANTIAL overhauls every three months or so in your training split. Without further, delay, here is that split:

MONDAY - Push Day
    *Bench Press: (true pyramid*) 12-8-6-2-6-8-12
    *Military Press: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
    *Close Grip Bench: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
    *Weighted Dips: 3 sets of 6-10 reps

WEDNESDAY - Leg Day
    *Squats - (true pyramid*) 15-12-8-4-8-12-15
    *Leg Press - 3 sets of 6-10 reps
    *Glute/Ham Raises - 3 sets of 4-8 reps
    *Stiff Leg Deadlifts - 3 sets of 8-12 reps
    *Box Step-Ups - 3 sets of 10-15 reps
    *Selected Calf Exercise - 3 sets of 12-15 reps

FRIDAY - Pull Day
    *Deadlifts from low pins - (true pyramid*) 12-8-5-2-5-8-12
    *Pull-Ups - 3 sets of however many reps I can manage at that time
    *Chinups - 3 sets of same rep restrictions
    *Barbell Rows - 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    *Power Cleans- 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    *Barbell Shrugs - 3 sets of 12-15 reps

*Regarding the asterick following each "true pyramid", the first three sets, working up to the lowest rep, will serve as 'working warm-ups'...somewhere in between a pure warmup and a working set so as to feel worked going into the low rep set but not so burnt that I can't then finish the three sets to follow.
    Last edited by BigGreen; 09-08-2003 at 02:57 PM.

Also, while I'm here, thanks for the positive feedback thus far, both on the thread and through PMs. Already the awareness that people are following my progress has me toughing out problem areas in the gym and in my nutrition...this accountability may be just what I needed. I've publicly stated my desire to attain a certain degree of development and now have to "put up or shut up", so to speak. Thanks.

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Put Up Or Shut Up Chump!

Thread Information