Thread: BF Estimation

M3Burnin is offline New Member

BF Estimation

Hey nice to meet you all, Ive been on and off just browsing on this website, but I decided to make an account. I'm 18, 5'6 about 175lbs and thinking about running test-e and clen . I was looking for a BF% estimate and maybe some advice.

-Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BF Estimation-prepic.jpg  

UncleD is offline Associate Member
    i would guess 20% and at your age and higher bf i wouldent do test or clen
    diet, cardio, and proper training is all u need right now JMHO

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Welcome.
    I would say higher than 20%, and agree with UncleD that all you need is proper diet and training.

swol_je is offline Senior Member
    yea agree prolly low 20's%

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    yeah 22-23% i'd do Clean Cutting Diet and 2x a day cardio an Cycle clen for about 2-3 months then do your Test-E cycle

-aj

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    You need to eat clean and drench your shirts with sweat for the next year or so from cardio. When your bodyfat is that high there is no way to tell what your strong points are and which ones need help. Congrats on taking the first step towards improvement.
    At 18 years of age the last thing you want to do is to run Test and Clen should be saved for the last stubborn few pounds if at all. You can make major strides with some dedication and nothing else.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    No need for gear. If you don't have the right education about diet/training your just going to lose all your gains.

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    23-25% would be my guess

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by A2thej2008 View Post
    yeah 22-23% i'd do Clean Cutting Diet and 2x a day cardio an Cycle clen for about 2-3 months then do your Test-E cycle

-aj
    he's 18, not AAS needed

Thread Starter, you definitely don't need steroids , you have alot of genetic potential left, first thing though is to get your diet in check and increase cardio to 5-6x a week

write down everything you eat for a day and i mean everything, amounts as well, and post in the diet forum, we'll critique it for you and get your diet set

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    IMO your 23.5% bf, and i agree steroids arnt for you. Get your diet sorted and training.

Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    Agree with what's been said.

20-25%. Clean diet up, hit the weights hard, cardio, rest, and when you've lost 10-14lb then consider supplementing (operative word) your diet and cardio, with Clen and/or Ephedrine.

OH REALLY is offline Banned
    ok i agree but the more mucle you have the more calories you body burns 1 pound of fat needs 1 calorie a day to survive and on the other hand 1 pound of mucle needs 30 calories to survive so i think he should at least hit the wieght pretty hard maybe a fast paced workout routine to help keep the heart rate elevated. But no gear not yet personaly i like to keep all the gear for myself...

M3Burnin is offline New Member

Thumbs up

I appreciate all the help. I guess I won't be touching gear for now. I'm gonna work my ass off for a while then I'll be back with some updates.

Quote Originally Posted by mad matt View Post
    imo your 23.5% bf, and i agree steroids arnt for you. Get your diet sorted and training.
    lmao

Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH REALLY View Post
    ok i agree but the more mucle you have the more calories you body burns 1 pound of fat needs 1 calorie a day to survive and on the other hand 1 pound of mucle needs 30 calories to survive so i think he should at least hit the wieght pretty hard maybe a fast paced workout routine to help keep the heart rate elevated. But no gear not yet personaly i like to keep all the gear for myself...
    Can I ask where you got these figures from?

Quote Originally Posted by OH REALLY View Post
    Kinda curious about those numbers myself. Sounds good but would like to see where or how you arrived at this.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    Kinda curious about those numbers myself. Sounds good but would like to see where or how you arrived at this.

Most people know that muscle burns more calories than fat but, just how much more? Ever since I got certified more than eight years ago, I've been told that a pound of muscle burns anywhere from 30 to 50 calories per day. However, after doing some research, I've found that number isn't accurate. In fact, a pound of muscle only burns about 6 calories a day...a lot less than what many of us thought, but still more than a pound of fat, which burns only 2 calories in a day.

If you can expect to burn 6 extra calories for each pound of muscle you have, you might also wonder how much muscle can you expect to gain once you start lifting weights. According to Dr. Cedric Bryant, Chief Exercise Physiologist at ACE [1], the average person usually gains about 3-5 pounds of muscle mass every 3-4 months. Of course, how much muscle you put on is based on your genetics, gender, exercise program and diet, so each person will have a different response to weight training.

So, what does this mean? That you shouldn't bother lifting weights if you're trying to lose weight? I think you know the answer to that question. Even though muscle doesn't burn a huge number of calories on its own, it's still more metabolically active than fat and very important for weight loss. In fact, one study published in the Journal of Applied Physiology [6] found that, though weight training doesn't burn as many calories as cardio, it significantly increases average daily metabolic rate - the perfect foundation for losing fat.

And remember the other benefits of weight training:

Prevents loss of lean body mass that happens from dieting and/or aging
    Weight training workouts burn calories
    Helps change your body composition, which helps shape your body and keep you healthy
    Strenghtens bones and connective tissue along with muscles
    Helps keep you strong and active as you get older
    The bottom line is, strength training is important for almost any fitness goal, whether you want to lose fat, gain muscle or just get in better condition. Check out the following strength training resources for more:

Workout Center
    Strength Training Workouts
    Weight Training 101
    References

Bryant, Cedric X. Ph.D., Chief Exercise Physiologist. (2006, March/April). ACE Fitness Matters, p. 6.
    Heymsfield SB, Gallagher D, Wang Z. Body composition modeling. Application to exploration of the resting energy expenditure fat-free mass relationship. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2000 May;904:290-7.
    Poehlman, Eric T., et al. Effects of Endurance and Resistance Training on Total Daily Energy Expenditure in Young Women: A Controlled Randomized Trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Mar;87(3):1004-9.
    Wang, Z., et al. Resting energy expenditure: Systematic organization and critique of prediction methods. Obesity Research. 2001 May;9(5):331-6.
    The Facts About Fitness. What they told you about muscle and your metabolic rate is wrong. Retrieved May 4, 2006.
    Van Etten, L.M., et al.. Effect of an 18-wk weight-training program on energy expenditure and physical activity.. J Appl Physiol. 1997 Jan;82(1):298-304.
    Last edited by Phate; 12-24-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    Most people know that muscle burns more calories than fat but, just how much more? Ever since I got certified more than eight years ago, I've been told that a pound of muscle burns anywhere from 30 to 50 calories per day. However, after doing some research, I've found that number isn't accurate. In fact, a pound of muscle only burns about 6 calories a day...a lot less than what many of us thought, but still more than a pound of fat, which burns only 2 calories in a day.

If you can expect to burn 6 extra calories for each pound of muscle you have, you might also wonder how much muscle can you expect to gain once you start lifting weights. According to Dr. Cedric Bryant, Chief Exercise Physiologist at ACE [1], the average person usually gains about 3-5 pounds of muscle mass every 3-4 months. Of course, how much muscle you put on is based on your genetics, gender, exercise program and diet, so each person will have a different response to weight training.

So, what does this mean? That you shouldn't bother lifting weights if you're trying to lose weight? I think you know the answer to that question. Even though muscle doesn't burn a huge number of calories on its own, it's still more metabolically active than fat and very important for weight loss. In fact, one study published in the Journal of Applied Physiology [6] found that, though weight training doesn't burn as many calories as cardio, it significantly increases average daily metabolic rate - the perfect foundation for losing fat.

And remember the other benefits of weight training:

Prevents loss of lean body mass that happens from dieting and/or aging
    Weight training workouts burn calories
    Helps change your body composition, which helps shape your body and keep you healthy
    Strenghtens bones and connective tissue along with muscles
    Helps keep you strong and active as you get older
    The bottom line is, strength training is important for almost any fitness goal, whether you want to lose fat, gain muscle or just get in better condition. Check out the following strength training resources for more:

Workout Center
    Strength Training Workouts
    Weight Training 101
    References

Bryant, Cedric X. Ph.D., Chief Exercise Physiologist. (2006, March/April). ACE Fitness Matters, p. 6.
    Heymsfield SB, Gallagher D, Wang Z. Body composition modeling. Application to exploration of the resting energy expenditure fat-free mass relationship. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2000 May;904:290-7.
    Poehlman, Eric T., et al. Effects of Endurance and Resistance Training on Total Daily Energy Expenditure in Young Women: A Controlled Randomized Trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Mar;87(3):1004-9.
    Wang, Z., et al. Resting energy expenditure: Systematic organization and critique of prediction methods. Obesity Research. 2001 May;9(5):331-6.
    The Facts About Fitness. What they told you about muscle and your metabolic rate is wrong. Retrieved May 4, 2006.
    Van Etten, L.M., et al.. Effect of an 18-wk weight-training program on energy expenditure and physical activity.. J Appl Physiol. 1997 Jan;82(1):298-304.
    Great info, but this is the second time I have seen someone write how lifting weights does not burn as many calories as cardio does. When I do a 30-60 minute cardio session I keep my BPM between 120-135. I wore a heart rate monitor awhile ago during a back workout that lasted 35-40 minutes. Once warmed up my BPM never fell below 150 and went as high as 194 (after deadlifts). I was taking about 2 minutes of rest between sets and was about 11% BF at the time so I was indecent shape. These numbers seem to indicate that in at least my case I am burning more calories while lifting than while doing cardio.

Great info, but this is the second time I have seen someone write how lifting weights does not burn as many calories as cardio does. When I do a 30-60 minute cardio session I keep my BPM between 120-135. I wore a heart rate monitor awhile ago during a back workout that lasted 35-40 minutes. Once warmed up my BPM never fell below 150 and went as high as 194 (after deadlifts). I was taking about 2 minutes of rest between sets and was about 11% BF at the time so I was indecent shape. These numbers seem to indicate that in at least my case I am burning more calories while lifting than while doing cardio.
    i agree you have a point, and i believe that training burns a significant amount of calories(i just finished a bi/tri/trap/calves workout where i went from one to the other without rest(though i get around 2 minutes since the muscles rest while i'm working the other three), and added drop sets and pump sets, after/during which i was sweating and gasping like crazy)

MuscleScience where are you? *as i turn the MS beacon towards the sky*

Wow, in my qwest for knowlegde I believe I have officially hijacked my first thread. My apologies to the OP.

Wow, in my qwest for knowlegde I believe I have officially hijacked my first thread. My apologies to the OP.
    , it's okay, you'll get used to it, and our knowledge is actually on a parallel tangent(oxymoron) to the thread poster, plus his question was already answered

makod is offline Associate Member
    Im pretty much in the same position as the thread starter. 18, 5'8 and 180 pounds. Similar build and all.

Iv taken the advice from this site and held of from ASS (yes you guys got through to somebody) for at least until the end of 2009 (thinking of a light cycle for summer).

Iv come to the conclution that iv got to get lean first just like this guy. So i started focusing on fat loss this week and going to continue for at least 1 month or 2 - then hitting the weights.

This is the end of the first week. Diet, Running everyday 40 mins and Clen . Really good results.

My question - can anyone estimate how long it would take to drop fat from chest, stomach and lovehandles (similar to the thread starter's pic)?

Im sure alot of you started out in this situation and can comment.

Much appreciated

makod is offline Associate Member
    anyone?

Thread Information