Justsayno is offline New Member

2 month progress (pics)(bf% plz)(advice)

Hey guys, long story short Ive had a bad heroin/crack addiction for the past few years, I got clean 80 days ago and started lifting/cardio after withdrawls lessened.

I'm an athlete, skiing/climbing (rock/ice)mountaineering. I was in bad shape when I finally quit I was probably 20% bodyfat and 160 pounds, I'm 5'10". I lifted for 6 months 3 years ago and fell in love with olympic lifting.

My schedule is as follows
    A day- Deadlift/Overhead barbell press/Rows/flat bench/weighted chins/dips
    cardio- 30 mins 65% MHR
    B day- Overhead Squat/ Front Squat/ Back Squat/ Seated calves/ weighted chins/dips
    cardio- 30 mins 65% MHR

So I workout everyday with 3 days rest between same exercises.

I am on the "zone" diet, eating around 2kcals per day (140gs protein, 180gs carbs 50gs fat) I eat clean, veggies, fruits, nuts, and meat and whey.

I wanted to cut since I was skinny fat and do a little recomp which has seemed to work, the pictures look like shit and I still look like shit but I wish I had pictures from the day I got clean. I've been using the navy method to calculate bodyfat (tape measure) according to that I've somehow gained 8 pounds on my "cut" and lost 10% bodyfat, It's currently calling me 10.14% which I know is bullshit but its consistently trending down each week so I don't really care. My goal is just an athletic build because I got reconnected with my mountaineering partner and we have some awesome goals. However I do want to look good so I'd like to get low bodyfat, any advice would be great also what ballpark do you think my bf is? The pictures really suck the lighting blows, I think I look better in the mirror than I do in the pics but ohh well.

I was never able to effectively cut last time I lifted so I'm scared to bulk but I realise I probably won't look great exposing what I have now but I've been losing consistently so I don't wanna mess with it. Any advice would be great2 month progress (pics)(bf% plz)(advice)-back.jpg2 month progress (pics)(bf% plz)(advice)-front.jpg

I'm currently 168 pounds
    I'm doing 3x5s for each exercise
    ORM Deadlift= 354
    ORM Bench = 231
    ORM Squat= 233

Thanks for reading guys and thanks in advance for any advice

I went and took two more pics real quick that might help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 month progress (pics)(bf% plz)(advice)-arm.jpg   2 month progress (pics)(bf% plz)(advice)-side.jpg  

Bigd89 is offline Senior Member
    16% bf

Thanks, do you have any advice? Do you think I'll look like shit If I continue to slowly cut? The picture of the guy at 10% that looks like shit comes to mind, do I have a good enough base to cut on? My ideal is to get low bodyfat, and slowly bulk, I'm a climber and a mountaineer so a ton of bulk won't help me rockclimb but I do a lot of legs because mountaineering requires you to be somewhat of a dumptruck (90lb pack uphill for days on end)

SlimJoe is offline Banned
    15% got a good base though bro

thanks joe, I'm working pretty hard at it, pushing myself on the powerlifts, its tough though in my caloric state to be getting stronger but I really want to cut because I've never gotten low bodyfat before and I just want to see if I can do it, I kinda felt I was 13-16%ish too because my quads are starting to seperate it doesnt look like one big muscle anymore I can see 4 different groups, two on the bottom and two up top. It's pretty exciting seeing your muscles for the first time.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I'd say about 15-16%.

I feel you bro, i'm in the same boat - feel like I don't have a good enough base to cut (i'll be a toothpick), but bodyfat is too high to focus on adding mass.

I think the best option for people like us is a slow body recomp - i.e. neither bulk nor cut. Eat at maintenance, or just a bit above, make sure the diet is in check (most important), solid training regimen and a good deal of cardio to burn bodyfat. It's the slow and steady option, but over time I believe it will yield better results than the other 2 options.

The really skinny guys can usually bulk without worrying, and the guys with a huge solid base can cut, but we need to recomp IMO.

Thanks for the support Gb, I think you're right, I just need to slowly build my base up another solid 10-15 pounds and then I can cut, I feel like I'm in purgatory. But I can't complain much I've only been at it for 9 weeks, I'd say at the 6 month mark I'll be looking pretty healthy. My body just loves holding this level of bodyfat, it seems like when I bulk it stays the same I just get bigger and when I cut I shrink back to the same size, my body type always looks the same "thickish". At least thats what happened in the past, I've actually managed to successfully recomp this time, I wish I had pics from the day I started my family can't believe the size I've put on in a short-period.

Rockin Z28 is offline Associate Member
    agree with Gbrice..slowly add muscle over time and get leaner..i am the same way..i have tried bulking and cutting..if i bulk up i just get fat and sloppy, when i cut down i lose all the bulk muscle and end up looking like a scarecrow..its the way our terrible..terrible genetics are

Rust is offline New Member
    I would say 16-17% bf. Hard to tell without a leg photo. Keep up the good work and watch the diet!

Thread Information