Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Back In Black - I'm Just Makin' My Play

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~

Back In Black - I'm Just Makin' My Play

Age - 41
    5'11"
    Weight at time of pics - 181.25lbs

So, I've entered this comp to get my shit together. I'm embarassed at my before pics and I really needed a kick up the derriere. My goal is to be approx 192-195lbs at 10% by the end of the 12 weeks. So I need to drop maybe 4lbs of fat and gain 15lbs LBM. That's a pretty tall order but you have to have goals.

I have a beach holiday 8 weeks into this and am hoping it doesn't derail me too much. I also have 2 weekends away where I will do my best.

My bulk plan is to eat approx 300cals above maintenance to start and my macro split for that is 40/42/18 (strange I know). I may or may not drop some carbs on non training days. Obviously I will need to assess myself regularly to ensure that the right types of gains are being made.

I train 4 on 3 off. There will be a mixture of straight sets, drop sets and rest pauses. I train alone. I will be doing 25 mins post lifting cardio after every workout. This will be low-medium intensity.

I have no excuses here. I'm not working at the minute, I have loads of time to prep my food and make the right choices all the time.

Currently I have a little virgin muscle prop PIP. That's an 8 week cycle up to my holiday. I have 10 days worth of clen to use up at some point in these 13 weeks. That's all I can afford. Food isn't an issue, that will be my main supplement.

I've said all along I believe someone that is cutting will likely win BUT, I'm not just here to make up the numbers. If my goal is achieved I will be a contender.

Good luck to everybody, now LET'S GO TO WORK
    Last edited by Back In Black; 03-20-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Week 1

Weight 187lbs

Up 5.75lbs in 10 days

A good week in terms of cals, macro's and workouts. Had some GI issues for a few days and currently have an inflamed throat (2nd time in a month!!) but nothing too major.

Still learning about my 'supplements' and fine tuning some stuff.

Roll on week 2
    Last edited by Back In Black; 03-25-2013 at 02:38 AM.

week 2

Weight 189.75

Up 2.75lbs this week and 8.5lbs since start

This weeks weight is probably a little false in view of what I polished off yesterday (Easter Sunday) but it would have been up regardless. I'll be adding an extra 100 cals daily at the start of this week and see where I am next week. But my shirts are all a little tighter around the shoulders and I can't really see any evidence of fat gain.

I have had to up my a'dex to every day to counter some sides I was getting.

Had some great workouts this week gone, particularly legs and chest. Delts will now be done as my first workout of the week as they are my weakest muscle group. I may add an additional delt isolation workout for a few weeks an see what benefit I get from that.

I have a lump in my right medial delt which I hope is just a build up that will dissipate over the next couple of days and nothing more sinister than that. It's only sore to the touch and doesn't preclude me from any movements so I am looking for another strong week next week.
    Last edited by Back In Black; 04-01-2013 at 05:02 AM.

week 3

Weight 192.5lbs

Up 2.75lbs this week and up 11.75lbs in total.

I had alot of salty food yesterday so the weight may again be a little false, my midweek weigh ins tend to be more realistic.The salty food has made me much more vascular and, despite my 0.25m a'dex every day, I know I am holding some water I can feel it in my fingers!

I added 100 cals to the diet for this week all from protein. And for the coming 5 weeks I am going to try and cut out breads and other wheat containing products. Just to see what difference it may make.

I upped all my weights and/or reps this week and I do feel definite progress but I still have another 20lbs or so of LBM before I'll be starting to get really happy.

Onwards & upwards
    Last edited by Back In Black; 04-08-2013 at 06:40 AM.

week 4

Weight 192.25lbs
    Down o.25lbs on last week up 11lbs total

Last weeks weight was false, I knew that, in view of all the shit I ate the day before. I'm happy with 11lbs gain and no discernible increase (possibly even decrease) in body fat. Some of my shirts are a little snug and I can't get my legs in my favourite, and most expensive, pair of jeans

Calories up to around 3000 with the addition of a few more carbs to the plan.

4 weeks til my Grecian holiday, diet tightening up for those 4 weeks, I'd like more than 5lbs minimum in that time with some further loss in bf. I'm considering upping cardio to 30 mins until then.
    Last edited by Back In Black; 06-03-2013 at 01:45 AM.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

week 5

192lbs
    Down 0.25 from last week up 10.75 total

The weight is a little disappointing, this is supposed to be a bulk and I'm at a standstill I thought that I wouldn't be eating more than 3000cals even by the end of the comp and it looks like ill need to go above that with not even being half way through. That's kind of ok because I'm enjoying eating but looks like I may have to end up maintaining my end weight at a much higher calorie level than anticipated. Shows how much I know!!! No reason for not gaining there's been no change in diet and I haven't really been any more active than usual, I did up my cardio and did 30mins more (in total) last week than usual and only had a cheat meal rather than a few of them. I'll monitor the weight over the next 3 days, if no change ill add another 50g carbs to my daily allowance.

Having said all that, I am noticeably more vascular in my forearms and my lower abs are starting to show a little vascular it's too that I only get sub 10%. So I may be a little leaner but I need to get bigger too.

Here's to another good week
    Last edited by Back In Black; 04-22-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    lovbyts likes this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

week 6

Weight 194.25lbs

Up 2.25lbs since las week and up 13lbs since start.

Upped my cals last week to approx 3200 so my new macros read approx

Carbs 350g
    Pro 300g
    Fat 60g

Again, this is all under constant review and may need to be changed again this week.

Last week was another great workout week, I changed my cardio to intervals (as dictated by whatever song I was listening to) that burned 300cals per session according to my HR monitor. Sometimes that was 22 minutes, sometimes 26. I'm gonna leave it that way for the next 2 weeks at least.

Feels weird knowing I'm going on my summer holiday in 2 weeks and I'm bulking not cutting.
    Last edited by Back In Black; 04-29-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

week 7

Weighed in 2 days late this week

193lbs up 11.75lbs since start.

I appear to have hit an impasse in terms of body weight over the last 2-3 weeks. Partly because I am loathe to increase cals any more as my holiday is rapidly approaching and I want to not gain any fat. I am keeping cals at what appears to be maintenance and added a thermogenic middle of last week so I'm not trusting the scale in any event.

I've had nothing but good workouts since this began and haven't missed one session (exception of 1x25 min cardio session), my elbows are a little sore but aren't precluding me from anything, yet.

Last week I learned to pin BEFORE you take your thermogenic and not after.
    Last edited by Back In Black; 05-08-2013 at 06:10 AM.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

week 8

193.25lbs

Up exactly 12lbs since the start.

This week I switched from HIT to straights sets but upped the intensity a little,so that I was still completing my workouts in the same a,lint of time.

A little surprised my weight didn't really change this week as I'd brought some clen into the equation and kept my diet perfect. That is clearly a good thing so I ain't complaining.

Off to Greece in 12 hours so I suspect my weight will be up several lbs by my next weigh in!!!! I won't go mad, ill barely drink but I'm half board and will have the benefit of buffet breakfasts and dinners. I have some 'macro friendly' protein bars to take with me to ensure I don't go hungry. I'm pretty sure I saw my Mrs pack some Green & Blacks chocolate in the case too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-4107731344.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	139174

Name:	image-1125660540.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	403.2 KB 
ID:	139173
    Last edited by Back In Black; 05-22-2013 at 07:19 AM.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

week 9

199lbs

So my 7 day European laziness resulted in a 5.75lb gain. I did pretty good on the food front but high salt and not knowing the content of some of the food was always going to end up with gain. No doubt, the majority of that gain is water and poop and it will drop dramatically over the next few days.

I lifted 4 times whilst away, pleased that there was sufficient equipment to have pretty good workouts. I'd expected no lifting kit and only cardio so I took advantage and did almost no cardio at all taking into account sets, reps, rest, weight used etc I probably worked at about 90% max.

No changes this week, back to the planned diet and workouts. Not on cycle any more, be interesting to see what the next 4 weeks bring.
    Last edited by Back In Black; 05-21-2013 at 04:55 AM.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

week 10

197lbs

Weight gain of nearly 16lbs since the start. The 3200 cals that were maintaining 193lbs are now increasing my weight. I finished my prop over 2 weeks ago but now added 75mg var on top of my TRT dose. I'd still be happy finishing at 196 and being a little leaner but this is a bulking year. The only cutting I plan on doing will be a prime before my next cycle.

I might up my cardio by an extra 50cals for each of the 4 weekly sessions and may add an extra cardio session but will not be reducing calories. I don't intend to lose any 'weight'.

Despite the prop being well out my system last weeks weight and/or reps were still up on around 85% of my sets.

I look 'stronger'. This has all been a success so far.
    Last edited by Back In Black; 05-28-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

week 11

196.25lns

Up exactly 15lbs from start. A bit less than last week. I had some toilet issues yesterday that have just left me looking like I have less water and that's ok

I upped my cardio last week so that I am now burning 350cals as opposed to 300 on each of my 4 sessions. Not alot else to report, lifting weight and or reps was up in almost all exercises.

2 weeks left, no changes planned

Name:	image-1839230707.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	452.3 KB 
ID:	139909
    Last edited by Back In Black; 06-07-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

week 12

196.25lbs

Absolutely no change in weight in the last week but i am, most definitely, seeing more definition. I did add a thermogenic but, even so, the fact that my weight hasn't gone down but my fat has well, that's making me very happy

Final week coming up. No changes. Not lean enough to worry about carb manipulation. So, carry on, as you were
    Last edited by Back In Black; 06-10-2013 at 02:43 AM.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Final week

So, as I have concluded my training and done my photo's I thought I'd wrap this up a couple of days early. I weighed in today at 191.25. Up only 10lbs since the start but I've pissed out 4-5 lbs of water in as many days this week on purpose. Suspect ill be back up that 4lbs by tomorrow.

So, I reckon I gained 14-16 good lbs in these 13 weeks and am leaner too. Have no exact measurements but I'd guess down from approx 15% to approx 10-12%.

Deload week in the gym next week before a 5 week HIT assault before my next holiday.

It's been fun, hope the rest of you are as happy with your results as I am with mine

Name:	image-580212793.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	547.6 KB 
ID:	140308

Name:	image-2040812234.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	274.0 KB 
ID:	140309
    Last edited by Back In Black; 06-16-2013 at 07:57 AM.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Ah, a log for you now buddy. Now I can accurately track how much tea you consume!

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    Ah, a log for you now buddy. Now I can accurately track how much tea you consume!
    Ha ha, lots mate. Actually I only drink it when I have something to eat that complements it, biscuits, chocolate, cheese on toast, jam on toast, fish n chips. Only 4 pint mugs per day

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    I wish you all the best brother.

stpete is offline Banned
    Good Luck, Buddy!

Thanks gents

Today's leg workout

45degree leg press
    Vertical leg press
    Lying hamstring curls
    Leg extensions
    Romanian deadlifts
    Split squats
    25 mins low/moderate intensity cardio
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Thanks gents

Today's leg workout

45degree leg press
    Vertical leg press
    Lying hamstring curls
    Leg extensions
    Romanian deadlifts
    Split squats
    25 mins low/moderate intensity cardio
    What are split squats

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo

What are split squats
    http://youtu.be/oCK1E0aJdWM
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Ahh I call those lunges. For hams Got ya

Ahh I call those lunges. For hams Got ya
    Now to me, a lunge is something where you step forward, down, up and back to complete a rep.

They are a great all rounder and tend to hit my glutes more than other exercises.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Well what ever its called I hate them They are taxing. To say the least. And thats your finishing exercise. Whoa.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Looking forward to seeing this log through m8
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Good luck with this plan buddy. I think Team-GB has a chance of taking the podium, my money is on you being top 3

On a side note, have you ever been in 'Whittard and Chelsea'? They sell the most amazing Tea/Coffee/Hot choc flavours... Strawberry and Vanilla...Mmm... damn thing is 19g sugar per 20g serving... so i guess I need to hide it in the cupboard for 12 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr
    Good luck with this plan buddy. I think Team-GB has a chance of taking the podium, my money is on you being top 3

On a side note, have you ever been in 'Whittard and Chelsea'? They sell the most amazing Tea/Coffee/Hot choc flavours... Strawberry and Vanilla...Mmm... damn thing is 19g sugar per 20g serving... so i guess I need to hide it in the cupboard for 12 weeks!
    My bro bought me some if their flavoured hot chocolate for Xmas one year. Best hot chocolate ever but yes, dangerous, lock them away my friend

Oh, and save your money, never bet on Black
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Today's workout

Seated military press
    Seated side lateral raises supersetted with dumbbell upright rows
    Standing side lateral raise
    Rear delt machine
    Close grip bench press
    Tricep v bar pushdowns
    25 mins low-medium intensity cardio
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Well what ever its called I hate them They are taxing. To say the least. And thats your finishing exercise. Whoa.
    I never said I did 'em heavy

I just do them to failure, high rep moderate weight. It is what it needs to be.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Workout

D ring long handle lat pull downs
    Seated row machine neutral grip
    Wide grip row
    Reverse grip lat pull down
    Hyper extensions
    Dumbbell curls
    EZ bar preacher curls
    Straight bar curls
    25 mins low-medium intensity cardio

Need to work out my official weigh in day, it may be a Saturday as that is when I'll likely post pics. Today I am 187lbs, up nearly 6lbs in 9 days.
    Last edited by Back In Black; 03-23-2013 at 04:27 AM.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I never said I did 'em heavy

I just do them to failure, high rep moderate weight. It is what it needs to be.
    Smart move. Much better than over doing it and getting hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    Smart move. Much better than over doing it and getting hurt.
    Like you mate, I have some historic injuries I need to be careful with. Lower back and left knee. Still, I reckon we can still learn these young 'uns a thing or 2. I hope!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hopefully they will not have to learn the same way we did with setbacks and/or injuries. We can still give them a good showing I'm sure.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    following closely mate

funny split.. where r ur total cals??

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---
    following closely mate

funny split.. where r ur total cals??
    Week 1 is approx 2750cals daily.

Funny split yes. But I would rather set my alarm for 6.43 rather than 6.45. I'm a crazy rebel, can't help it lol
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    I love lunges like that. I just do mine anymore in a static position on a smith machine. One leg totally then the other. Killer finishing exercise.

Good luck BIB!
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

Week 1 updated.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Lovin this so far BIB!
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

"It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

kitstreasure is offline Female Member
    BiB, fwiw, my pharmacist recommends to people with a sore throat that they gargle with a 50/50 mix of benedryl and water. He first told me about this 20+ years ago for a case of tonsillitis, and I've continued using it every time my throat becomes inflamed... It's never failed me yet. (I have no clue WHY it works, just that it does.)

austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by kitstreasure View Post
    BiB, fwiw, my pharmacist recommends to people with a sore throat that they gargle with a 50/50 mix of benedryl and water. He first told me about this 20+ years ago for a case of tonsillitis, and I've continued using it every time my throat becomes inflamed... It's never failed me yet. (I have no clue WHY it works, just that it does.)
    Not too often. That would also discolor teeth.
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

"It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread Information