Thread: Newbie here

Prairiegrrl is offline Female Member

Newbie here

hI new female member here looking here for some help on weight loss and also to increase strength.

I'm 37 from Winnipeg Canada and have recently began some weight training and cardio workouts to lose some pounds and add some strength. I have some goals set and would like to reach them. I have a lot of male friends who are very helpful and supportive in my battle, but would like to hear from other woman on what has and hasn't worked for them. Would like to access to the female forum please and thank you

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Welcome

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Welcome

Thanks for the welcomes

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairiegrrl View Post
    hI new female member here looking here for some help on weight loss and also to increase strength.

I'm 37 from Winnipeg Canada and have recently began some weight training and cardio workouts to lose some pounds and add some strength. I have some goals set and would like to reach them. I have a lot of male friends who are very helpful and supportive in my battle, but would like to hear from other woman on what has and hasn't worked for them. Would like to access to the female forum please and thank you
    whenever you are ready we are ready to help you attain whatever goals you have, welcome

My goals are to lose 60 pounds. I've been a woman all my life. I have never been a gluton for food but for the most part of my life was a one meal a day eater and usually was not very healthy food. Lack of exercise sure didn't help.

I've changed my diet and now eat healthier, smaller portions more frequently. I've been using my brothers weight equipment, ellicptical machine and thread mill. I do weight training 2 days a week and cardio 4 days a week. My job is also labour work so I get somewhat of a workout there as well.

Why am I doing this? 2 reason, 1 for my health and the 2nd reason is I would like to play tackle football on our cities woman's team which will be in it's 2nd year in 2009.

I'm 5'7 and weigh 232lbs, I've lost 7 lbs in the last 2 months which is a start and only the beginning. I know I can reach my goals I've seen it done by others so I know I can as well.

i've used thermo fat burners but found they were to intense and didn't like the head buzz from the caffeine. I've also tried clen last year and was impressed with the weight loss, but found that weight came back with a vengence after about 5 months and has been harder to lose since. I believe it it was because I went back to my old routine of not eating properly and my metabolism slowed again because my body reacted to less food and began storing it. Is this correct?

Thanks to everyone in advance who responds.
    Cheers
    Prairiegrrl

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Welcome!

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairiegrrl View Post
    My goals are to lose 60 pounds. I've been a woman all my life. I have never been a gluton for food but for the most part of my life was a one meal a day eater and usually was not very healthy food. Lack of exercise sure didn't help.

I've changed my diet and now eat healthier, smaller portions more frequently. I've been using my brothers weight equipment, ellicptical machine and thread mill. I do weight training 2 days a week and cardio 4 days a week. My job is also labour work so I get somewhat of a workout there as well.
    good start
    Why am I doing this? 2 reason, 1 for my health and the 2nd reason is I would like to play tackle football on our cities woman's team which will be in it's 2nd year in 2009.
    definitely doable
    I'm 5'7 and weigh 232lbs, I've lost 7 lbs in the last 2 months which is a start and only the beginning. I know I can reach my goals I've seen it done by others so I know I can as well.
    we'll show you how, i'm not saying it's gonna be easy but you will start to love the progress and once you start to love it you will find it easy
    i've used thermo fat burners but found they were to intense and didn't like the head buzz from the caffeine. I've also tried clen last year and was impressed with the weight loss, but found that weight came back with a vengence after about 5 months and has been harder to lose since. I believe it it was because I went back to my old routine of not eating properly and my metabolism slowed again because my body reacted to less food and began storing it. Is this correct?
    yes, what you are referring to is called the "starvation state", in which you body realized that the incoming energy(food) is not as prevalent as it was and so it initiates a survivial mechanism and starts storing the energy as fat
    Thanks to everyone in advance who responds.
    Cheers
    Prairiegrrl
    bold

Strategus is offline Female Member
    How long have you been doing your job? Do you stand 6-8 hours/shift?

I've seen a woman around 5'11" get good results just from about 7 months of standing 6 h/day and doing a manual task in a factory. She eventually hit a plateau around 190 lbs that needed to be addressed w/diet i.e. 5-6 small protein-rich meals/day and stopping all soda/food with HFCS.

I find that diet changes are easiest taken one step at a time. To start -

1. Eliminate HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) from everything you eat - especially soda, sweets.

2. Eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks/day focusing on meat, veggies, dairy.

If you have lifted for a month or so already, you might try lifting 3x/week and 30 minutes walking (not running) 2-3x/week.

Are your lifts going up?? They should go up nice and fast during your first few months!

For right now, I'd stay away from all supplements/fat burners except for:

-multivitamin
    -fish oil
    -vit C and zinc for cough/cold season

Best wishes!

Bad Viking is offline Junior Member
    welcome to AR

Workout Barbie is offline Admin's Bitch ;-)
    Welcome

natureboy is offline Member
    Welcome to AR

FREAK is offline BLACK MARKET BUILT
    welcome enjoy!

LuxuryTax is offline Junior Member
    Hey Hey

Philly Grappler is offline Associate Member

xavier_888888 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    welcome

Thanks again for all the welcomes.

To answer some of the questions. I've been working for a Transportation company doing crossdocking work, which is loading and unloading of trailers since March of this year. 50 percent of the work is done with a forklift, but I also do the other 50 percent of the work handbombing, a typical day can have me handbombing up to 20,000 lbs of weight in my shift from boxes to tires.

I do take vitiamins cod liver oil, C and flaxseed. I've just added swimming to my exercise routine 3 days a week first thing in the morning for 1 hour and will be starting a aquafit (water areobics) program in the new year. For my weightlifting program, please forgive me if my lingo is not correct still learning this but I do:

leg curls both legs
    3 x 15 50lbs

leg curls each leg
    3 x 15 30lbs

leg press
    3 x 15 50lbs

Deadlift- dumbbell
    3x 15 reps 20lbs per dumbbell

standing barbell curls
    3x 15 reps 20lbs

bench armcurls (preacher curls)
    1 x 15 reps 20lbs
    I find this really tough, the initial start until you get over that fulcrum point is really hard. The first time I tried this I did 4 lifts it took me awhile to get to 15.

benchpress
    2 x 15 reps 40lbs

Is this enough weight? Somedays some of the lifting feels easier to do than other days with the exception of the bench armcurls which is always tough and leaves my arms stinging. I know I can increase my leg work out, should I add more weight or do more reps?

Thanks again everyone!!!
    Last edited by Prairiegrrl; 12-05-2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added name of a specific lift

nath78 is offline Associate Member
    velcome!

stashu is offline New Member

happy to hear your keeping fit and having fun!

keep up the good work!!!!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Cheers!

MusclemanC is offline New Member
    welcome.

Thread Information