Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squats.jpg 
Views:	48803 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	128736
    Exactly

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Mickey - you are too funny! but that post is effective

I have a few comments/questions. I noticed 4 that i need to improve. going deeper/Toes pointed outward/Feet farther apart/more weight! I was introduced to Mr Smith a couple months back.

vertical squats - is the goal failure ? and in how many reps?
    horizontal squats - seems like i can put more weight on this machine

thank you baseline! hugs!!

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Mickey - you are too funny! but that post is effective

I have a few comments/questions. I noticed 4 that i need to improve. going deeper/Toes pointed outward/Feet farther apart/more weight! I was introduced to Mr Smith a couple months back.

vertical squats - is the goal failure ? and in how many reps?
    horizontal squats - seems like i can put more weight on this machine

thank you baseline! hugs!!
    As far as Smith machine, vertical squat and horizontal squat machines I would urge you to learn how to squat with a barbell.... It will without doubt engage more glutes and hams... Machines are a good alternative but honestly they dont really compare if your goals are to engage the glutes...

As far as reps for building muscle, 8-12.... Always training to complete failure or close to it once your warmed up...

^^^ i started using smith machine cuz of injuries from overtraining. I prefer barbells! Thank you for your response.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I feel a little differently about squats, for many people their form and ability to squat are not close to the point where they could safely squat to failure.

Also for many looking to sculpt and tone they will be (IMHO) better served by concentrating on form and keeping it strict and doing easy sets of 10-12 with a wieght that could increase 20% and still get 10 reps if they worked to failure. This is just my opinion, but I feel this will allow for form to be maintained and will keep the load on the thighs and glutes and off the back and keep hips from being widened.

Again this is just my opinion. I don't mean to contradict anyone, only to provide an option to those who have injuries, are too old, not yet in condition or simply not comfortable with squatting to failure.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    I feel a little differently about squats, for many people their form and ability to squat are not close to the point where they could safely squat to failure.

Also for many looking to sculpt and tone they will be (IMHO) better served by concentrating on form and keeping it strict and doing easy sets of 10-12 with a wieght that could increase 20% and still get 10 reps if they worked to failure. This is just my opinion, but I feel this will allow for form to be maintained and will keep the load on the thighs and glutes and off the back and keep hips from being widened.

Again this is just my opinion. I don't mean to contradict anyone, only to provide an option to those who have injuries, are too old, not yet in condition or simply not comfortable with squatting to failure.
    Yeh your right, squats are one of the most complexed movements and take time to learn.... It all comes dowN to practice and motor skills....

If you want squats to be effective you need to do them correctly.... If you can learn to squat with good form and depth then IMO there is no better movement (with regards to this thread)...

And here is a tip for anyone learning to squat.... Start off with some kind of a box squat and take it from there..... Doing box squats will teach you to sit back onto the box which is important..... They will also help you to train and learn the correct motor skills since they will allow for less bad form.... You can slowly drop the box lower and lower and eventually remove it completely

^^^ that is a really good idea.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Welcome.

Thread Information