Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: what do you lift?

zodia is offline Female Member

what do you lift?

Those that are natural, or were and remember your numbers, what do you lift for weight on bench, squat, and dead lift. Just curious if I'm doing well.
    135lbs
    5-10.5
    bench 92
    squat 135
    dl 175(5rep max. hurt my neck on work set and didn't max out)

thoughts?

Oh, and I don't use any machines. squats are below parallel! big pet peeve to count Smith machine, or not deep enough squats. ( thanks to hubby)

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You'll find that it doesn't really matter what anount you're lifting, as long as you are achieving a good contraction and workout.

Although it is nice to compare your lifts, don't fret about it too much. Focus on getting a good work out and before you know it you'll be lifting much more.

-Krugerr

thanks krugerr. definitely how I try to think about it. guess I'm curious because I've kind of plateaued and considering some anavar but want to make sure my numbers are at least somewhat respectable.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    everyone that's been at this awhile should be able to bench their own weight in a rep range much higher than the rep range we normally shoot for to get a good growth signal.

we should also be able to straight arm bar curl half our weight in the same rep range.

there are a bunch of milestones that are specific to our physiques that makes it difficult to compare.

For example, it wouldn't be fair for you to think you can bench what I bench. I outweigh you by over 50%

(this is based SOLELY on personal experience and observation, so I've tried to be real vague instead of providing hard numbers)
    Java Man likes this.

bdos is offline Anabolic Member
    I lift weights some are blue some a red and others are black all in a rubber casing oh and the bars are silver
    Aziz and MzMom like this.

I was hoping sone of the WOMEN would answer since we all know as a guy you can outlift me. thanks for reminding me why I don't like these forums tho.

Quote Originally Posted by zodia View Post
    I was hoping sone of the WOMEN would answer since we all know as a guy you can outlift me. thanks for reminding me why I don't like these forums tho.
    I'm so sorry. I totally didn't get that this was the new female members section as I'm just cruising through the new posts. What i said was for a male, not a female.

I hope you can forgive me?

Embarrassed....

---Roman

Zodia?

No problem. I haven't had much luck on forums like this so I guess I'm a little touchy. lol

Zodiac85 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Zodia?
    Lol!

it's a twist from my hubby's name cuz I'm not creative enough to come up with my own.

No problem. I haven't had much luck on forums like this so I guess I'm a little touchy. lol
    I totally overstepped, so I apologize. And you are right, these forums can be tough on the women folk at times.

I'm usually a little more observant, and would have noticed you as a female in a female section, so I'll stop my blathering.....

thanks again!
    ---Roman

(maybe girly or SFMS can step in and answer your question)

hey. totally ok. the other post right after yours kinda had me irritated. I thought you were being sarcastic instead of helpful. we are alll good.

Zodiac85 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    You'll find that it doesn't really matter what anount you're lifting, as long as you are achieving a good contraction and workout.
    No offense, but this is a very body builder answer. Some people really do care how much they lift and use aas primarily for strength purposes. Even some of the ladies (I imagine). To each his own I suppose.

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Until your name: turns pink other members will see you as a male so you may want to note that you are a female in your post or roll with the punches that are dealt lol. I feel your pain other forms are very abrasivefor the ladies but you've come to the right place :-)are female member account is not quite that high so you may notice a lag between responses from the girls... You know how us girls are-busy busy busy lol.as far as me and weights I use to keep track of them I would bring my book with me to the gym I wouldlog what I was doing watch my progress blah blah blah I just don't have the time anymore or the patience. I go in I work out until I'm tired I go home lolI'm lucky if I can even do that :-)
    Last edited by SexySweetheart; 07-07-2013 at 11:16 AM.

crazy mike is offline Banned for repping Dangerous Substances
    Hey welcome Zodia. Hope you get input from the females. These guys like Roman are lunk heads, Oh there is a member that goes by Lunk, Haaa! Anyway Hello from the old man on here. ...crazy mike

Giggle is offline Female Member
    Hi Zodia -
    I too was trained to "beat the logbook" and that was the way to track improvements.
    In fact, I believe you boys have said that "strength comes before size", did I get that right?

For Times - I did like your rough approximate for bench press and body weight - but do you have one more useful for girls? Also, you said a rep range much higher - I wondered how high?

I can bench my weight, (140) but probably just once! Deadlift around 250-265, and squat is around 200 now, but it's going up. My own fault, due to not training consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggle View Post
    Hi Zodia -
    I too was trained to "beat the logbook" and that was the way to track improvements.
    In fact, I believe you boys have said that "strength comes before size", did I get that right?

For Times - I did like your rough approximate for bench press and body weight - but do you have one more useful for girls? Also, you said a rep range much higher - I wondered how high?

I can bench my weight, (140) but probably just once! Deadlift around 250-265, and squat is around 200 now, but it's going up. My own fault, due to not training consistently.
    wow! all natural giggle?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggle View Post
    Hi Zodia -

what do you lift?-muscle-fiber.jpg

Hi Giggle (nice name!)

There are two types of muscle fiber type

1) Slow twitch - the kind that made me a good competitive distance runner (aerobic)
    2) Fast twitch - the kind that weight lifters seek; for strength (anaerobic)

of the type (2) fibers, there are "generally" three sub types

a) moderately fast - growth signal occurs at failure around 15 reps
    b) fast - growth signal occurs at failure around 10 reps
    c) very fast - growth signal occurs at failure around 5 reps

Muscle fiber type 2C is also your most explosive/strongest type.

Anyways, to quantify that rep range (but not the % of body weight for women), this would occur at 15+ reps.

Again, this range is solely derived from experience and personal observation.

I wouldn't expect a male to be able to do this until after, maybe a year in the gym. But every one is different.

And no, as much as I look at the ladies in the gym, I don't have enough experience/observation to be able to make a similar generalization for you. I'd suggest either consulting with, Maybe Kawigirl might know? I know she's a personal trainer at a local gym, and has some pretty good competition experience under her belt.

Good luck!
    ---Roman
    MzMom likes this.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    @ times. U big bloke!

@ zodia. Don't mind times! He's a big bloke! Harmless really buy I think dementia is setting in. .

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    everyone that's been at this awhile should be able to bench their own weight in a rep range much higher than the rep range we normally shoot for to get a good growth signal.

we should also be able to straight arm bar curl half our weight in the same rep range.

there are a bunch of milestones that are specific to our physiques that makes it difficult to compare.

For example, it wouldn't be fair for you to think you can bench what I bench. I outweigh you by over 50%

(this is based SOLELY on personal experience and observation, so I've tried to be real vague instead of providing hard numbers)

I guess I would have thought about mentioning I was a female on any other forum but the "new female forums" page. guess I thought that was enough clarification. I won't assume again tho.

Not meaning to hog your thread, Zodia - but I did want to thank Roman for the information.
    That is a great chart, and I hadn't seen it before.
    If 2C is the most explosive and strongest, it makes sense why powerlifters train in lower rep ranges. I never thought about that!
    Thanks.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Those that are natural, or were and remember your numbers, what do you lift for weight on bench, squat, and dead lift. Just curious if I'm doing well.
    135lbs
    5-10.5
    bench 92
    squat 135
    dl 175(5rep max. hurt my neck on work set and didn't max out)

thoughts?
    Welcome to the forum. I was gonna ask if they were kg or lbs? guess they are lbs, curious about the 92lbs bench? my gym don't have 1lb plates does yours?

Yes, lbs. should have specified that. We lift at home. We use all barbells, no machines. We have down to .25 lbs actually.

Yes, lbs. should have specified that. We lift at home. We use all barbells, no machines. We have down to .25 lbs actually.
    0.25lb plates? The smallest Ive ever seen in the UK is a 1.25kg (2.75lb) plate lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muscle Fiber.JPG 
Views:	2465 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	141500

Hi Giggle (nice name!)

There are two types of muscle fiber type

1) Slow twitch - the kind that made me a good competitive distance runner (aerobic)
    2) Fast twitch - the kind that weight lifters seek; for strength (anaerobic)

of the type (2) fibers, there are "generally" three sub types

a) moderately fast - growth signal occurs at failure around 15 reps
    b) fast - growth signal occurs at failure around 10 reps
    c) very fast - growth signal occurs at failure around 5 reps

Muscle fiber type 2C is also your most explosive/strongest type.
    I thought that was opposite ? Fast for Tennis, Slow for lifting....huh?? ...crazy mike

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac85 View Post
    No offense, but this is a very body builder answer. Some people really do care how much they lift and use aas primarily for strength purposes. Even some of the ladies (I imagine). To each his own I suppose.
    No offence taken, I suppose you are correct to say its a bodybuilder answer. As a personal opinion I just feel its important to stress that the weight shouldnt be the priority, I see so many people worrying about the weight and they end up going too heavy, too quick and either injure themselves, or just use extremely bad form.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy mike View Post
    I thought that was opposite ? Fast for Tennis, Slow for lifting....huh?? ...crazy mike
    Slow and steady wins the race - this is referring to distance running, which is a slow and repetitive movement

you had it backwards mike

Slow and steady wins the race - this is referring to distance running, which is a slow and repetitive movement

you had it backwards mike
    OK, thank you...............cm

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    .25lb plates, I learn something new every day. gotta get that one rep max to the max!

Amazon has a set of fractional plates. Especially great for us girls. Little by little my numbers went up, and I used those plates a lot!
    zodia likes this.

Chx beach 79 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome aboard and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by chadcuz1985 View Post
    .25lb plates, I learn something new every day. gotta get that one rep max to the max!
    Yup, if that's what it takes. if I added .25 every workout I could increase 40 lbs in year. As a girl that would be improved in many of my lifts so mock all you want.

Yup, if that's what it takes. if I added .25 every workout I could increase 40 lbs in year. As a girl that would be improved in many of my lifts so mock all you want.
    reminds me of a myth i heard when i was younger. it goes something like

a bloke picks up a baby calf every day and carries it on his back. as the calf grows, the bloke gets stronger. Eventually, the bloke is carrying a cow on his back....

...anyways, I think we've all heard this one before?

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    a little up tight about it, relax and don't get all bent out of shape over a one little comment.

IronVixxen is offline Female Member
    Female here and my heaviest lifts were after i did German Volume Training (10x10). All natural
    137lbs
    5 6"
    Bench 95lbs 3 reps
    Squat 225lbs 6 reps
    Deadlift 185lbs 5 reps

Love working legs, never cared to work chest until recently so t thatll change. Now

^I've been looking into GVT to mix things up a bit. Still looking into it, not decided yet.....

^I've been looking into GVT to mix things up a bit. Still looking into it, not decided yet.....
    Its ok for bench... but if you wanna squat or Deadlift with it, my god its painful!

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    Its ok for bench... but if you wanna squat or Deadlift with it, my god its painful!
    my back is arthritic and my knees are about shot. I don't squat or deadlift. I was showing my son how to do a squat with a real light 100 poounds, and then after about a second rep, a real sharp pain in my knee. This was the straw that finally broke the camels back, and I ended up getting knee surgery last march 2012.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information