Symian is offline Member

Callin on all you fitness girls

Hey, what's up everyone? Well, here's my deal. I need some info from the womens side of the house. I just need some input on how women are supposed to train. I'm tryin to help one of my girls out so she can lose some extra pounds and tone up. She's 19, like 5'1" and prolly like 135lbs, but it's not all bad wieght. She was a powerlifter in high school so she has great legs that everyone in the gym admires! Any way, when we work out together she does like 30 min of cardio, and then she does other upper and lowerbody exercises. But her reps are usually like 12-15, but never to failure. Should she be training to failure at high reps or what do women do. Sorry ladies I'm at a loss. Common sense would say yes, but I don't want to tell her the wrong thing. She could work on her diet and she realizes that, but it isn't that she eats too much. Hell the girl hardly eats at all. Anyway, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sym

Little Girl is offline Female Member
    I'm not a fitness but a powerlifter but I can say my shape is not far from a fitness...and I think there is no difference between a male and a female training. I've been lifting with my hubby for the past 10 years now and I don't look like a man and I,m not too big either...

LG

Danielle is offline Female Member
    well for me personally............i'm 20, 5'4 at 115lbs........
    ok...........well you said her main goal is to lose some extra pounds.......you said she does 30 minutes of cardio............in my opinion, 30 minutes of cardio will only maintain your weight............to see change she needs to be doing 45 minutes - hour....................i know it is time consuming but i do an hour every time i do cardio.......i dont feel its worth it if i do not...........mainly either running or on the stepper...........elipitcal isnt my favortie machine for weight lost.............

and with weights......main rule...i mean if shes getting thur 15 reps no problem.........she needs to increase the weight.....she should be stuggling thur her last 3-5 reps........

hope this helps a little
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

Symian is offline Member
    Thank you ladies. Questions answered. Oh, and she does do her cardio on the eliptical. Thanks.

Sym

Danielle is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Symian
    Thank you ladies. Questions answered. Oh, and she does do her cardio on the eliptical. Thanks.

Sym

tell her to switch it up a little........your body will get used to do the same thing........i never use the eliptical......personally, and this is just for me........(i know im gonna hear it)......lol......i think the eliptical machine is totally useless.....i see so many people at my gym waiting like a half hour to get on the eliptical and the steppers are always empty...... .......i saw no change on the elipcitcal
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    tell her to switch it up a little........your body will get used to do the same thing........i never use the eliptical......personally, and this is just for me........(i know im gonna hear it)......lol......i think the eliptical machine is totally useless.....i see so many people at my gym waiting like a half hour to get on the eliptical and the steppers are always empty...... .......i saw no change on the elipcitcal
    Thats because stairclimbers are much more difficult that elliptical machines. Those goofy things arent even a workout IMO, but they are good for no-intensity cardio at the end of a workout.

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    Oh, you are definitely going to hear it. LOL I dropped all of my weight for my bodybuilding show on the elliptical. That was about 10% of bodyfat (20 Lbs). Cardio is nothing more than getting your heart rate up to a certain intensity. For some, the elliptical might not be enough; for me it is. You don't want to get your heart rate so high that you start burning up muscle tissue. You want to try to retain as much muscle mass as possible. Mike_XXL's precontest cardio is walking. That's all he does. So focus on heart rate more than anything.

There is nothing wrong with changing up the type of cardio that you do though. Variety will push your heart rate up higher and keep it interesting. But don't swear off the elliptical. It can still be very beneficial.

primodonna is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PTbyJason
    Mike_XXL's precontest cardio is walking. That's all he does.
    That's only because he's so out of shape to begin with
    What happens here, stays here

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by primodonna

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Ohhhh i miss you too Primo!

...now i know who it is looking in my window when i practice my "Macarina" wearing nothing but a green thong...hey Primo say hello next time, will ya...

Symian is offline Member

Unhappy

Ok ok...I had my girl read this thread and she just about ripped my head off when she saw how much I put she wieghed. I'm sorry but I'm a poor judge of wieght I guess. Just to correct she's 5'1" and 122lbs.

From the dog house
    Sym

Da Bull is offline Banned

primodonna is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE_XXL
    Ohhhh i miss you too Primo!

...now i know who it is looking in my window when i practice my "Macarina" wearing nothing but a green thong...hey Primo say hello next time, will ya...
    Lose the thong next time and then, and only then, will i say hello
    What happens here, stays here

Thread Information