Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By skid_ofshame
  • 1 Post By TRTdrew
  • 1 Post By Paulpaul

Thread: New From Canada

skid_ofshame is offline New Member

New From Canada

Hi folks,

Graduated high school nearly 20 years ago at 6'2 160lbs with roughly 20%BF. The very definition of skinny-fat.

Chronic knee and back pain since childhood due to a dropped navicular (I have a reverse arch), 20 degree S-curve scoliosis, underdeveloped knee cartilage, and ED (joint hypermobility). I've been doing various forms of physio/"rehab" for as long as I can remember.

Tried lots of different pain solutions with little results. Lifted on and off for years with wavering commitment to diet, but mostly kept up the lifting part. Managed to get up to 200lbs without gaining much fat, but still dealt with constant pain.

Ironically, I worked in health care helping people rehab from injuries, but couldn't do anything for myself.

Fast forward to 2011, a group of powerlifters convinced me that I was just a weakling and needed a "real" strength training program. I bought into it and gave it a shot. Hit a few major sticking points along the way, but worked through them. Eventually I made the mistake and dirty bulked up to 265lbs at about 30% bodyfat.

The reason I ended up dirty bulking was because my strength hit a final sticking point that I couldn't beat. Tried multiple programs, all to no avail. I never used gear before and my PL buddies were basically telling me that I probably hit my max natural potential (which is pretty crappy, considering where my lifts were at).

My best lifts were:
    385lbs Squat
    405lbs Deadlift
    295lbs Bench

That was in 2014. I tried off and on to get back to the big three, but ended up quitting lifting altogether in 2016.

NOW:
    After 2 years of depression, the bug bit me again and I'm back at it. Been at the gym for a few months cutting all the dirty bulk fat and "not lifting" fat that has accumulated in the past couple of years.

35yrs old
    6'1 (I guess I'm shrinking)
    225lbs
    BF 22.5% (dexa-scan)

The diet is dialed in and I've been training 4 days a week (upper/lower; alternating strength/hypertrophy). Focus is on pain free movements and trying to get strength up without flaring things. I don't lock out any movements anymore and I focus on the squeeze and TUT to get the muscles working with less strain on my joints. Can't squat past 90 degrees any more or my knee clicks and feels like it's going to tear off, so I do box squats to 90. So far so good... Struggling to find good glute/hamstring movements at my gym that don't aggravate my back (PL gym, so mostly free weights).

THE CHALLENGE:
    My old lifting buddy (best friend since high school) has challenged me to do a bodybuilding contest with him in 2020, which I'd like to take him up on. That gives me 2 years.

THE GOAL:
    I've got to get my BF down some more and figure out more pain free movements that I can use to build up again, but strongly considering cycling when (really, IF) I get my lifts back up to respectable levels (for me). Anyways, doing a lot of research on it and this forum has been invaluable. Figured I'd join and say hello. Will ask questions and continue learning.

Kudos if you managed to get through all that!
    Last edited by skid_ofshame; 02-17-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Added more info and corrected some things...
    deusromanus likes this.

clarky. is offline MONITOR
    Welcome to the forum.

brazey is offline Steroid.com's Official Greeter
    Welcome....

TRTdrew is offline Associate Member
    welcome hoser
    skid_ofshame likes this.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Welcome.

Realgear1226 is offline Junior Member
    Welcome

Paulpaul is offline Junior Member
    Welcome my fellow Canuck. I'm happy to see that you are overcoming some adversity and are now enjoying lifting again. Keep it up!
    skid_ofshame likes this.

Thread Information