Thread: Gun Control

Vosh is offline New Member

Gun Control

I have read a few threads commenting on kids shooting people and the random acts of violence and what would be different in those situations were there better policy in place. Aside of course from the ridiculous preoccupation with prohibition against steroids and other significantly less dangerous substances that are illegal compared against where we are as a nation with cigarettes, tobacco and the point of this article - firearms.

Jimmy Carter recently released a book and I want to quote a few paragraphs of what he had to say on the gun situation in America and the Gun lobby in Washington. The statistics at the end are what really made me pay more attention as you'll note even if their are marginally off the differences between nations are startling.

---------------------------------------------------
    Concerning gun control, an overwhelming majority believe in the right to own weapons, but four of five Americans prefer modest restraints on handguns, including a background check, mandatory registration, and a brief waiting period before one is purchased.

A disturbing change in government policy has involved the firearms industry. Supported by succeeding Presidents Reagan, Bush, and Clinton, legislation was passed by Congress in 1994 that for ten years prohibited the manufacture, transfer, and possession of nineteen specific semiautomatic assault weapons, including AK-47s, AR-15s, and UZIs. None of these are used for hunting -- only for killing other humans. More than eleven hundred police chiefs and sheriffs from around the nation called on Congress and President Bush to renew and strengthen the federal assault weapons ban in 2004, but with a wink from the White House, the gun lobby prevailed and the ban expired.

This is not a controversy that involves homeowners, hunters, or outdoorsmen. I have owned and used weapons since I was big enough to carry one, and now own a handgun, four shotguns, and two rifles. I use them carefully, for harvesting game from our woods and fields and during an occasional foray to hunt with my family and friends in other places. We cherish these rights, and some of my companions like to collect rare weapons.

But many of us who participate in outdoor sports are dismayed by some of the more extreme policies of the National Rifle Association (NRA) and by the timidity of public officials who yield to their unreasonable demands. Heavily influenced and supported by the firearms industry, their primary client, the NRA, has been able to mislead many gullible people into believing that our weapons are going to be taken away from us, and that homeowners will be deprived of the right to protect ourselves and our families. There are no real threats to our "right to bear arms," as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. If so, the NRA efforts would certainly be justified.

In addition to assault weapons, the gun lobby protects the ability of criminals and gang members to use ammunition that can penetrate protective clothing worn by police officers on duty, and assures that a known or suspected terrorist is not barred from buying or owning a firearm -- including an assault weapon. The only criteria that the NRA has reluctantly accepted are proof of a previous felony, mental derangement, or being an illegal immigrant. Deeply concerned when thirty-five out of forty-four men on the terrorist watch list were able to buy guns during a recent five-month period, the director of the FBI began to reexamine the existing law and asked some U.S. senators to consider amendments. The response of top officials in the NRA was to criticize the watch lists -- not the terrorists -- and to announce support for legislation that protects gun manufacturers and dealers from liability if a buyer uses an AK-47 in a terrorist attack. They also insist that background information on gun buyers be discarded within twenty-four hours, precluding the long-term retention of data that might reveal those who are plotting against our nation's security.

What are the results of this profligate ownership and use of guns designed to kill people? According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, American children are sixteen times more likely than children in other industrialized nations to be murdered with a gun, eleven times more likely to commit suicide with a gun, and nine times more likely to die from firearms accidents.

The Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research reports that the rate of firearm homicide in the United States is nineteen times higher than that of 35 other high-income countries combined. In the most recent year for which data are available, handguns killed 334 people in Australia, 197 in Great Britain, 183 in Sweden, 83 in Japan, 54 in Ireland, 1,034 in Canada, and 30,419 in the United States. The National Rifle Association, the firearms industry, and compliant politicians should reassess their policies concerning safety and accountability.
    ----------------------------------------------------

decadbal is offline Banned
    more people die from automobile accidents than homocides, you wanna get ride of cars to

31uniform is offline Associate Member
    Liberal/Conservative/Alaskan

Question: You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife comes around the corner and is running at you while screaming obscenities. In your hand is a Glock .40 and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Liberal Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!
    Does the man look poor or oppressed?
    Have I ever done anything to him that is inspiring him to attack?
    Could we run away?
    What does my wife think? What about the kids?
    Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
    What does the law say about this situation?
    Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?
    Does he definitely want to kill me or would he just be content to wound me?
    If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?
    This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for a few days to try to come to a conclusion.

Conservative Answer:

BANG!

Alaskan's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click... (sounds of clip being ejected and fresh clip installed)

Wife: "Sweetheart, he looks like he's still moving, what do you kids think?"

Son: "Mom's right Dad, I saw it too..."

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

Daughter: "Nice grouping Daddy!"

--^wtf??? Lol

NYGIANTS21 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 31uniform

Question: You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife comes around the corner and is running at you while screaming obscenities. In your hand is a Glock .40 and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Liberal Answer:

Could we run away?
    If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?
    This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for a few days to try to come to a conclusion.

Conservative Answer:

BANG!

Alaskan's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click... (sounds of clip being ejected and fresh clip installed)

LMFAO that's some funny shi* because it is so true

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    LMAO 31uniform i hope that shit was copied and pasted, or your a crazy bastard.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by decadbal
    more people die from automobile accidents than homocides, you wanna get ride of cars to
    Yep. I even read somewhere that proved that more children die of playing football than by firearms.

TR'05 is offline Member
    tons of examples about this....Police in America accidently kill FAR more people than are killed by registered firearms.....more children drown in the bath tub than are killed accidently by handguns....i could go on but....

Vosh is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 31uniform

Liberal Answer:

Could we run away?

Conservative Answer:

BANG!

Alaskan's Answer:

How can I argue this - clearly its humor overwhelms any sense of rationality.

Akrus423 is offline Useless Member
    I don't know how to explain this, so i am going to type a sort of "play" about home defense.

A burglar comes in the house with a gun.
    By the time the father realises the burglar has a gun, There is at least a 75% chance of the burglar seeing the father. The man probably just doesn't go out having guns everywhere too, Also there is at least a 60% chance the burglar at least had some kind of plan of robbing the house.

Need no more explaining...

I bet 3\4 of all of these types of situations end up with something real bad happening.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akrus423
    I don't know how to explain this, so i am going to type a sort of "play" about home defense.

By the time the father realises the burglar has a gun, There is at least a 75% chance of the burglar seeing the father. The man probably just doesn't go out having guns everywhere too, Also there is at least a 60% chance the burglar at least had some kind of plan of robbing the house.

I bet 3\4 of all of these types of situations end up with something real bad happening.
    Wow, did the Brady campaign teach you that one?

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer

What point are you trying to make with this post?

shortie is offline AR Biggerologist
    It is a proven fact that guns in the hands of responsible citizens lowers crime rates. The FBI's own statistics for the year 2004 verifies the assertion, as anyone who cares can look them up and see that the areas with the least amount of gun control have the lowest crime rates, and areas with strict gun control have higher crime rates. Most interestingly was the lowering of crime rates in states that have "right to carry" concealed weapons permits. And for anyone who doubts this, just take a walk down any unlit NY city street at night unarmed-it won't be real safe, yet NY has some of the most restrictive laws in the nation regarding gun control. And Vosh, Jimmy Carter is a good man, harmless in every way, but his head is so far up his ass he hasn't seen daylight in forty years.

Remember, if guns are criminalized, only criminals will have guns.

cjp85 is offline Member

Your paranoia does not translate to fact. Maybe you should research before acting like a professional on the subject matter, and by research I don't mean dig up any anti-nra bs you can find, I mean find facts from both sides of the argument.

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    I like gun control. Lotsa guns here. The control is great.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I thought gun control was just having a good grouping on your target??

peace,

ttgb

Thread Information