Logan13 is offline Banned

Massachusetts To Require Names Of Hiv Patients...

MASSACHUSETTS TO REQUIRE NAMES OF HIV PATIENTS...
    Nov. 15, 2006
    Boston.com
    BOSTON --Health care providers for HIV patients in Massachusetts will now be required to give their patients' names to state authorities for the purpose of more accurately monitoring the number of cases.
    Department of Public Health spokeswoman Donna Rheume said the DPH board voted unanimously Tuesday to enact the new regulations after the federal Centers for Disease Control threatened to withhold about $15 million in annual funding. Rheume said the information will be stored in a databank accessible by only a limited number of state health professionals.

"Those names will be kept at the Department of Public Health and will not be released," Rheume said.

Health care providers already are required to turn over the names of AIDS patients to the state. Under the old regulations, HIV cases were reported using a code that kept the patients' names a secret. Rheume said the policy change will prevent duplication in counting and record-keeping.

Dr. Steve Boswell, president of Fenway Community Health, which treats AIDS/HIV patients, said he was "neutral" about the policy change.

"In Massachusetts, I have little concern about the change in policy," he said, noting that state officials have demonstrated responsibility in keeping AIDS patients' names confidential. Boswell added that some HIV activists believe patients' names should not be kept secret because such practices feed the stigma surrounding the disease.

Denise McWilliams, director of public policy and legal affairs AIDS Action Committee of Massachusetts, said she believes the change is a potential threat to privacy in light of recent data security breaches at other institutions.

"Clearly anytime you collect personal information about somebody, you risk having that information get out into the public domain," she said.

While the state health department has done a good job of protecting privacy, she said, "in these days, it's more and more difficult to do that."

"I believe the state could have successfully resisted this under the present law," McWilliams said

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    This is already implemented in sweden. HIV is one of the diseases that we are by law required to report.

I would like to even expand on that law. This is one of those cases where individual freedom should take the backseat. I want ALL imigrants comming to sweden to be tested for HIV and HIV beeing used as a reason to deny entry. I also would like mandatory HIV checks for all high school graduates.

It should also be punishable by the harshest possible punishment to knowingly spread HIV. Its equal to planned murder in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    This is already implemented in sweden. HIV is one of the diseases that we are by law required to report.

I would like to even expand on that law. This is one of those cases where individual freedom should take the backseat. I want ALL imigrants comming to sweden to be tested for HIV and HIV beeing used as a reason to deny entry. I also would like mandatory HIV checks for all high school graduates.

It should also be punishable by the harshest possible punishment to knowingly spread HIV. Its equal to planned murder in my eyes.
    All true, but the Libs in this country always find reasons to quell logical and necessary procedures by claiming discrimination.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    All true, but the Libs in this country always find reasons to quell logical and necessary procedures by claiming discrimination.
    Always the problem with both sides. They let ideology get in the way for reason. On issues like this agreement needs to be reach betwen all parties.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Always the problem with both sides. They let ideology get in the way for reason. On issues like this agreement needs to be reach betwen all parties.
    That's a tough one. I agree with both sides.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    That's a tough one. I agree with both sides.
    I honestly do not want people walking around with the "scarlet letter" on their foreheads because they are HIV positive, but this disease could create an epidemic if left unchecked. Damn I am glad that I am married.....

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    I honestly do not want people walking around with the "scarlet letter" on their foreheads because they are HIV positive, but this disease could create an epidemic if left unchecked. Damn I am glad that I am married.....
    I agree everyone should be tested. The problem is the potential for abuse. What happens when the information is leaked to employers or people are discriminated against because of their HIV status.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    luckily if you're strait and not an IV drug user your chances are basically nil of catching teh HIV. that said there are some other scary things, starting with the clap!

Quote Originally Posted by J.S.N.
    luckily if you're strait and not an IV drug user your chances are basically nil of catching teh HIV. that said there are some other scary things, starting with the clap!
    If I were single, I would have stock in Trojan. I hate condoms but I would hate genital warts even more.

Same thing here in Canada...

There is a list of infectious diseases that doctors must report to the provincial health authorities.

I don't see a problem there... it's for the greater good of all to keep track of infectious diseases that can potentially cause epidemics.

Red

Thread Information