Logan13 is offline Banned

The George Washington 1789 Thanksgiving proclamation.

The George Washington 1789 Thanksgiving proclamation.

"The George Washington 1789 Thanksgiving proclamation. I want to start with that. We'll take a break and come back with the Real Story of Thanksgiving. First, here's what George Washington proclaimed in 1789:

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor -- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me "to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness."
    Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be -- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks -- for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation -- for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the tranquility [sic], union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed -- for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted -- for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions -- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually -- to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed -- to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn [sic] kindness onto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord -- To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease [sic] of science among them and us -- and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York
    the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

George Washington"

Nowadays, George Washington would be run out of town for delivering a speech like that.

singern is offline Banned
    Happy Thanks Giving

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    Logan you remind me of my grandfather with so much great random knowledge.

care to cliffnote that for me though? i read it and what i got out of it, is that GW actually established the Thursday at Thanksgiving and not necessarly when 'the pilgrams' had their escapade with the Indians..?

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    Nowadays, George Washington would be run out of town for delivering a speech like that.
    It would be as inappropriate for a president to issue a proclaimation questioning the existance of a god as it would be to infer that there is one. But just imagine what sort of uproar if the president had proclaimed a national holiday in the name of Allah. Then you can get an idea of what Jews think about official holiday proclaimations in the name of the Christian religion. Or what Fundamentalist Christians would thnk about official proclaimations in support of Wiccan and Halloween. It's just not a good idea, because it's divisive. And, it's unconstitutional, even if George Washington was the first president to do it.

IMHO, these things that call upon religious entities ought to be done by clergy, not employees of the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    It would be as inappropriate for a president to issue a proclaimation questioning the existance of a god as it would be to infer that there is one. But just imagine what sort of uproar if the president had proclaimed a national holiday in the name of Allah. Then you can get an idea of what Jews think about official holiday proclaimations in the name of the Christian religion. Or what Fundamentalist Christians would thnk about official proclaimations in support of Wiccan and Halloween. It's just not a good idea, because it's divisive. And, it's unconstitutional, even if George Washington was the first president to do it.

IMHO, these things that call upon religious entities ought to be done by clergy, not employees of the government.
    As I recall, it was your stance that the founding fathers were uneffected by their religious convictions in regards to establishing this country. I would say that your stance was obviously wrong. That would be funny, Tock vs. George Washington in a debate about the constitution!! Tough shit if you find it divisive, the majority of the country finds your stance on this issue divisive, and yet this does not stop you. You just do not get it.....

Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    Logan you remind me of my grandfather with so much great random knowledge.

care to cliffnote that for me though? i read it and what i got out of it, is that GW actually established the Thursday at Thanksgiving and not necessarly when 'the pilgrams' had their escapade with the Indians..?
    Washington was the first to proclaim a federal day of Thanksgiving, but it was already a tradition in this country before this. Thanksgiving was not celebrated every year by the pilgrims, only when there was a reason to celebrate it. In 1676, Charlestown proclaimed June 29 as their official day of Thanksgiving. In 1777, all 13 colonies participated in the day of Thanksgiving because of the victory over the British at Saratoga. Over the years, the date of Thanksgiving was changed in order to give thanks for various special events. In 1941, FDR and the Congress sanctioned Thanksgiving as a legal holiday on the 4th Thursday of November, to lengthen the Christmas shopping season...... I'll bet that this fact really chaps Tock's ass!

Thread Information