Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Sexy" Smells Different for Gay, Straight Men, and Women

"Sexy" Smells Different for Gay, Straight Men, and Women, Study Says:

Article From: National Geographic News

Another control clinical scientific study that adds validity the body of evidence that homosexuality is hard-wired at the genetic level, and that odors from gay men were the least preferred by straight men.

A new study shows that gay men respond differently from straight men when exposed to a suspected sexual stimulus found in male sweat. When homosexual men smelled a specific odor from a chemical in male sweat; male hormone testosterone , their brains responded similarly to those of women. The findings suggest that brain activity and sexual orientation are both linked. It also supports an opinion held by most scientists that people are born gay, and not bred.

"This is in line with the body of evidence that support there's a biological substring for sexual orientation," said Dean Hamer, a geneticist at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. Hamer is the author of The Science of Desire: The Gay Gene and the Biology of Behavior. He was not involved in the research, which was conducted by scientists at Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, Sweden. The study was published in the research journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences:

Reproductive Behavior:

The scientists exposed heterosexual men and women and homosexual men to chemicals found in male and female sex hormones. One chemical is a testosterone derivative produced in men's sweat. The other chemical is an estrogen-like compound in women's urine. These chemicals have long been suspected of being pheromones, molecules emitted by one individual that evoke some behavior in another of the same species. Pheromones trigger basic responses, such as sexual attraction, in many animals. The researchers found that the testosterone compound activated the hypothalamus in homosexual men and heterosexual women, but not heterosexual men. Conversely, the estrogen compound activated the hypothalamus only in heterosexual men. "It shows a different physiological response to the same external stimulus," said Ivanka Savic, a neuroscientist at the Karolinska Institute and the study's lead researcher. "This response [occurred] in the brain region involved in reproductive behavior." When the study subjects sniffed scents such as cedar or lavender, all of their brains reacted only in the region that handles smells—not sexual behavior.

Biological Explanation:

The results show that the human brain reacts differently to potential pheromones compared with common odors. "It directly shows a link between brain activity and sexual orientation," said Hamer, the NIH geneticist. Hamer cautions that the gay men's different brain activity could be either a cause of their sexual orientation or an effect of it. But, he said, "It certainly seems unlikely that somehow being interested in men would cause the brain to rewire itself in such a dramatic way."

Other studies have also found that gay and straight men respond differently to the body odors of others. This study discredits unsupported hypothesis that homosexuality is a learned behavior, or that straight men can be sexually attracted to gay men, when in fact is the opposite. Scientists at the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, found that gay men preferred odors from other gay men, while odors from gay men were the least preferred by straight men and women.

There are many ongoing studies in the field, and I think that we soon will have better clarification," said Savic, the Karolinska Institute neuroscientist. "At the moment, there are no definite proofs." However, the new studies boost the hypothesis that homosexuality has a genetic basis and is not simply the result of learned behavior. "This, incidentally, is not in any way controversial for biologists," Hamer said. "It's completely expected from the basic tenets of biology. It's only controversial because of the religious, social, and political ramifications controversy over homosexuality."

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life
    "Sexy" Smells Different for Gay, Straight Men, and Women, Study Says:

Article From: National Geographic News

Another control clinical scientific study that adds validity the body of evidence that homosexuality is hard-wired at the genetic level, and that odors from gay men were the least preferred by straight men.

A new study shows that gay men respond differently from straight men when exposed to a suspected sexual stimulus found in male sweat. When homosexual men smelled a specific odor from a chemical in male sweat; male hormone testosterone , their brains responded similarly to those of women. The findings suggest that brain activity and sexual orientation are both linked. It also supports an opinion held by most scientists that people are born gay, and not bred.

"This is in line with the body of evidence that support there's a biological substring for sexual orientation," said Dean Hamer, a geneticist at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. Hamer is the author of The Science of Desire: The Gay Gene and the Biology of Behavior. He was not involved in the research, which was conducted by scientists at Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, Sweden. The study was published in the research journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences:

Reproductive Behavior:

The scientists exposed heterosexual men and women and homosexual men to chemicals found in male and female sex hormones. One chemical is a testosterone derivative produced in men's sweat. The other chemical is an estrogen-like compound in women's urine. These chemicals have long been suspected of being pheromones, molecules emitted by one individual that evoke some behavior in another of the same species. Pheromones trigger basic responses, such as sexual attraction, in many animals. The researchers found that the testosterone compound activated the hypothalamus in homosexual men and heterosexual women, but not heterosexual men. Conversely, the estrogen compound activated the hypothalamus only in heterosexual men. "It shows a different physiological response to the same external stimulus," said Ivanka Savic, a neuroscientist at the Karolinska Institute and the study's lead researcher. "This response [occurred] in the brain region involved in reproductive behavior." When the study subjects sniffed scents such as cedar or lavender, all of their brains reacted only in the region that handles smells—not sexual behavior.

Biological Explanation:

The results show that the human brain reacts differently to potential pheromones compared with common odors. "It directly shows a link between brain activity and sexual orientation," said Hamer, the NIH geneticist. Hamer cautions that the gay men's different brain activity could be either a cause of their sexual orientation or an effect of it. But, he said, "It certainly seems unlikely that somehow being interested in men would cause the brain to rewire itself in such a dramatic way."

Other studies have also found that gay and straight men respond differently to the body odors of others. This study discredits unsupported hypothesis that homosexuality is a learned behavior, or that straight men can be sexually attracted to gay men, when in fact is the opposite. Scientists at the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, found that gay men preferred odors from other gay men, while odors from gay men were the least preferred by straight men and women.

There are many ongoing studies in the field, and I think that we soon will have better clarification," said Savic, the Karolinska Institute neuroscientist. "At the moment, there are no definite proofs." However, the new studies boost the hypothesis that homosexuality has a genetic basis and is not simply the result of learned behavior. "This, incidentally, is not in any way controversial for biologists," Hamer said. "It's completely expected from the basic tenets of biology. It's only controversial because of the religious, social, and political ramifications controversy over homosexuality."
    I think that the majority of people believe that most homosexuality is biological in nature. The line is split on whether or not it is a disorder. Afterall, most ailments are biological in nature.............I see it as nature's way to control population, and as populations continue to grow so will the number of homosexuals.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    I think that the majority of people believe that most homosexuality is biological in nature. The line is split on whether or not it is a disorder.
    Ya, but the line is primarily split right along Fundamentalists (Christians and Muslims) and everybody else. And the reason for the split is Religion.

Geez, I dunno where you come up with this stuff . . . I keep wondering when the earth is gonna open up beneath you and swallow you up whole . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Ya, but the line is primarily split right along Fundamentalists (Christians and Muslims) and everybody else. And the reason for the split is Religion.
    And, is their opinion worth less than your's?

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    OK, so let's get down to the nitty gritty - what can I slap on to attract some horny lesbians?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    OK, so let's get down to the nitty gritty - what can I slap on to attract some horny lesbians?
    Next time you go to the gym collect some female sweat and rub it on you before you go out tonight

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Next time you go to the gym collect some female sweat and rub it on you before you go out tonight
    Wouldn't it need to be lesbian sweat? - Straight women's sweat might just attract hetero guys... oh this is so confusing I think I'll just stick with rohypnol...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    Wouldn't it need to be lesbian sweat? - Straight women's sweat might just attract hetero guys... oh this is so confusing I think I'll just stick with rohypnol...

Good point. At least you are paying attention.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    So does this prove that Gaydar is real?

x_moe is offline Anabolic Member
    Good point. At least you are paying attention.
    im curious if you dont mind me asking, do straight women and gay men find the same boys hot/attractive to both of them ?

hmm, good answer carl

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    It's a hard question to answer because everyone has different tastes. Some women and men like pretty boys. I do not. Some women and men like guys with big chests or big arms, I do not. Compared to the women and gay men that I know I have very different tastes. What they find attractive, I don't see it.

I'm attracted to bodybuilders. I look at a guy from the ankle up. If he does not have thick quads and a squatters ass it really doesn't matter what the rest of him or his face looks like because I lose interest.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    It's a hard question to answer because everyone has different tastes. Some women and men like pretty boys. I do not. Some women and men like guys with big chests or big arms, I do not. Compared to the women and gay men that I know I have very different tastes. What they find attractive, I don't see it.

I'm attracted to bodybuilders. I look at a guy from the ankle up. If he does not have thick quads and a squatters ass it really doesn't matter what the rest of him or his face looks like because I lose interest.
    see we are all the same. Your and ass and leg man

ya i understand what your saying and yes it all about someones taste, my question was more of like the looks of the guys and not what you and the straight girl are looking for in a person, more like if you and that straight girl just hangin out at a bar and just started rating all random guys from 1-10 by just looking at them and no chance to know what they are capable off and what they can provide, would most of your guy rating's be the same as her ratings ?

i believe the answer is still "depends on the taste"

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by x_moe
    ya i understand what your saying and yes it all about someones taste, my question was more of like the looks of the guys and not what you and the straight girl are looking for in a person, more like if you and that straight girl just hangin out at a bar and just started rating all random guys from 1-10 by just looking at them and no chance to know what they are capable off and what they can provide, would most of your guy rating's be the same as her ratings ?

i believe the answer is still "depends on the taste"
    I agree. I get the same in a room full of gay men. I've gone out with 2 friends to a lounge and they were looking around saying look at all the beautiful hot looking men. I kept saying where? I don't see any!
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    I agree. I get the same in a room full of gay men. I've gone out with 2 friends to a lounge and they were looking around saying look at all the beautiful hot looking men. I kept saying where? I don't see any!
    lol right on, you play it hard to get don't you

rock357 is offline Junior Member
    I love to smell a girls sweat! I believe biological cues we give each other are still around, we just aren't in tuned to them.

I've read that the swaying of a womans hips while they walk is a trigger to a hetro male's brain that signals their ability to bear children. I know I can't help but look at a woman's rear end if they have some curvage down there, but if they have hips that are smallish and straight like a boy's; I have no interest? That must be a biological cue to my pee brain.

I also have been around a girl that was working out in the boxing gym with me that was sweating profusely. I caught a wiff of her and man all I could think about was attacking her! it was all I could do to keep from beating my chest like an ape and grabbing her! she wasn't mad good looking either, but I just couldn't resist her "for some reason?" I guess it was her pheremones. Very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by rock357
    I love to smell a girls sweat! I believe biological cues we give each other are still around, we just aren't in tuned to them.

I've read that the swaying of a womans hips while they walk is a trigger to a hetro male's brain that signals their ability to bear children. I know I can't help but look at a woman's rear end if they have some curvage down there, but if they have hips that are smallish and straight like a boy's; I have no interest? That must be a biological cue to my pee brain.

I also have been around a girl that was working out in the boxing gym with me that was sweating profusely. I caught a wiff of her and man all I could think about was attacking her! it was all I could do to keep from beating my chest like an ape and grabbing her! she wasn't mad good looking either, but I just couldn't resist her "for some reason?" I guess it was her pheremones. Very interesting
    thank you, we were all wondering what turned you on.............

Thread Information