Logan13 is offline Banned

Nearly one in three in Arab world illiterate: report

AFP
    Nearly one in three people in the Arab world is illiterate, including nearly half of all women in the region, the Tunis-based Arab League Educational Cultural and Scientific Organisation said Monday.

Three-quarters of the 100 million people unable to read or write in the 21 Arab countries are aged between 15 and 45 years old, the Arab League group, known by its acronym ALECSO, said in a statement.

Equally alarming, some 46.5 percent of women in the region are illiterate, the organisation reported, urging governments to put the fight against illiteracy at the top of their agendas.

While describing access to primary school education as "indispensable," it also urged Arab countries to focus on adult education to avoid "serious incidents in the evolution of (Arab) societies".

ALECSO has previously sounded the alarm on illiteracy in the region, noting it had failed to meet a 1990 United Nations goal to halve adult illiteracy over the subsequent decade.

In July, Arab states adopted an action plan spearheaded by the group to promote education, notably through collaboration with key international organisations.

While illiteracy affects the entire Arab world, the more highly populated countries -- such as Egypt, Sudan, Algeria and Morocco -- are particularly vulnerable.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Here in the USA, two out of three corporate managers are idiots. Half of what's left are stupid.

Argue with that, if you can . . .

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    It is much easier for them to keep control over their population, and particularly to foster the degree of hatred against other cultures, by intentionally keeping their population illiterate and uneducated and more specifically relating to women, who are of course second class citizens in their society. They like to reject the free thinking and ideas that comes with an education.

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    It is much easier for them to keep control over their population, and particularly to foster the degree of hatred against other cultures, by intentionally keeping their population illiterate and uneducated and more specifically relating to women, who are of course second class citizens in their society. They like to reject the free thinking and ideas that comes with an education.
    Who, corporate executives?
    Actually, I do know some who fit that description . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tock View Post
    Here in the USA, two out of three corporate managers are idiots. Half of what's left are stupid.

Argue with that, if you can . . .
    making sweeping statements about any one group makes you out to be the stupid one. Your jealousy is showing through, again. Would you even be able to exist if you could not blame some group for your situation.?

Quote Originally Posted by Logan13 View Post
    Would you even be able to exist if you could not blame some group for your situation.?
    I'm sure the world would open up under me and swallow me up whole; I'd never be seen again.

And it would be all your fault, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock View Post
    I'm sure the world would open up under me and swallow me up whole; I'd never be seen again.

And it would be all your fault, too.
    good reply.....

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan13 View Post
    AFP
    Nearly one in three people in the Arab world is illiterate, including nearly half of all women in the region, the Tunis-based Arab League Educational Cultural and Scientific Organisation said Monday.

Three-quarters of the 100 million people unable to read or write in the 21 Arab countries are aged between 15 and 45 years old, the Arab League group, known by its acronym ALECSO, said in a statement.

Equally alarming, some 46.5 percent of women in the region are illiterate, the organisation reported, urging governments to put the fight against illiteracy at the top of their agendas.

While describing access to primary school education as "indispensable," it also urged Arab countries to focus on adult education to avoid "serious incidents in the evolution of (Arab) societies".

ALECSO has previously sounded the alarm on illiteracy in the region, noting it had failed to meet a 1990 United Nations goal to halve adult illiteracy over the subsequent decade.

In July, Arab states adopted an action plan spearheaded by the group to promote education, notably through collaboration with key international organisations.

While illiteracy affects the entire Arab world, the more highly populated countries -- such as Egypt, Sudan, Algeria and Morocco -- are particularly vulnerable.
    Its impact reaches further then the arab world. It is actually a major reason why the arab nations are years and years behind.

Thread Information