kfrost06 is offline Banned

Global Warming May Lead To Increase In Kidney Stones Disease

ScienceDaily (May 15, 2008) — Rising global temperatures could lead to an increase in kidney stones, according to research presented at the 103rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Urological Association (AUA). Dehydration has been linked to stone disease, particularly in warmer climates, and global warming will exacerbate this effect. As a result, the prevalence of stone disease may increase, along with the costs of treating the condition.

Using published data to determine the temperature-dependence of stone disease, researchers applied predictions of temperature increase to determine the impact of global warming on the incidence and cost of stone disease in the United States. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change indicates a 1-20 C increase in temperature by 2050 for much of the United States. These findings place a greater significance on the harmful effects of global warming, an ongoing economic and political issue.

The southern United States is considered “the stone belt” because these states have higher incidences of kidney stones. Rising global temperatures could expand this region; the fraction of the U.S. population living in high-risk stone zones is predicted to grow from 40 percent in 2000 to 50 percent by 2050.

This could lead to an increase of one to two million lifetime cases of stone disease. The impact of climate-related changes in stone disease will be non-uniformly distributed and likely concentrated in the southern half of the country (linear model) or upper Midwest (non-linear model). The cost associated with treating stone disease could climb as high as one $1 billion annually by 2050, representing a 10-20 percent increase over present-day estimates.

The headlines do not stop, more volcano eruptions, earthquakes, SHARK ATTACKS, and now kidney stones! All because of global warming, oh yeah, the earths global temperture has not increased in a decade! in fact it's actually cooled.

"the sky is falling" said like chicken little

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    I didn't cheat on my girlfriend. It was Global warming!

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I can really give two shits about global warming. But there seems to be a major disconnect as to why the vast majority of scientists (both here and abroad) insists that global warming exists but the is a minority (albeit a very loud and vocal one) that insist it does not. Why the disconnect? You can't really believe its a global conspiracy do you?

^^There's huge profits in "Global Warming."

davidb is offline Junior Member
    global warming is bullsh*t, I have an article from the nytimes from 1975 that has several top scientists stating the earth is trouble because of global cooling. I will have to dig that article up and post it. political bullsh*t!!

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    ^^True, true... But are the one's claiming global warming doesn't exist believe that the amount of gasses we are pumping into the environment isn't having any affect on our environment?

Again, I'm just wondering because there seems to be a lack of common sense on both sides.

everyone should be concerned for the environment, that includes venting CFCs, dumping pollutants, or whatever, I 100% agree with being earth friendly.... its just thi global warming thing that Gore has got started to save his image and make a buck that is ridiculous.

^^gore is not the only one making a buck. Many people stand to make a lot of money off of this.

The whole thing is a huge money maker which is great.... need to panic that the earth is in sudden danger. $ is the motivator.

blome u n LINY?

Yessir. You too?

DeputyLoneWolf is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kfrost06 View Post
    ScienceDaily (May 15, 2008) — Rising global temperatures could lead to an increase in kidney stones, according to research presented at the 103rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Urological Association (AUA). Dehydration has been linked to stone disease, particularly in warmer climates, and global warming will exacerbate this effect. As a result, the prevalence of stone disease may increase, along with the costs of treating the condition.

Using published data to determine the temperature-dependence of stone disease, researchers applied predictions of temperature increase to determine the impact of global warming on the incidence and cost of stone disease in the United States. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change indicates a 1-20 C increase in temperature by 2050 for much of the United States. These findings place a greater significance on the harmful effects of global warming, an ongoing economic and political issue.

The southern United States is considered “the stone belt” because these states have higher incidences of kidney stones. Rising global temperatures could expand this region; the fraction of the U.S. population living in high-risk stone zones is predicted to grow from 40 percent in 2000 to 50 percent by 2050.

This could lead to an increase of one to two million lifetime cases of stone disease. The impact of climate-related changes in stone disease will be non-uniformly distributed and likely concentrated in the southern half of the country (linear model) or upper Midwest (non-linear model). The cost associated with treating stone disease could climb as high as one $1 billion annually by 2050, representing a 10-20 percent increase over present-day estimates.

I sure hope not...I had those in Oct last year and those were the worst ten days of my life!!

LOL

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I think that is one of the most ridicilous things I have ever read.

PowerPress is offline Junior Member
    ok so every1 make sure u drink an extra glass of water. problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Kärnfysikern View Post
    I think that is one of the most ridicilous things I have ever read.
    The sad thing is it was in ScienceDaily.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kfrost06 View Post
    The sad thing is it was in ScienceDaily.
    Yeah really sad. This along with the obese->global warming study in the lancet are new low marks for scientific publishing.

Dizz28 is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own
    I'm at a loss for words... So, increased temp = increased incidence of dehydration which is linked to increased risk for developing kidney stones. Brilliant

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Global warming is causing a pain in my ass...truth!

Thread Information