Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED

A National Majority Now Disagrees With The Theocons About Gay Marriage

Most say gay marriage private choice
    By Cathy Lynn Grossman, USA TODAY

Six in 10 Americans say the government should not regulate whether gays and lesbians can marry the people they choose, a survey finds.

As same-sex couples line up to get marriage licenses in California on June 17, the USA TODAY/Gallup Poll found that 63% of adults say same-sex marriage is "strictly a private decision" between two people.

That the government has the right "to prohibit or allow" such marriages was stated by 33%, and 4% had no opinion.

On Monday, the California secretary of state said an initiative to amend the state Constitution to define marriage as a union "between a man and a woman" will be on the ballot Nov. 4. If it passes, it would overturn a state Supreme Court ruling in May that legalized same-sex marriage. After Massachusetts legalized same-sex marriage in 2004, 11 states voted on similar questions.

"Those initiatives … did have an impact in election results," says Mark Rozell, professor of public policy at George Mason University in Fairfax, Va. "Turnout was 2.4% higher on average in those 11 states than the other 39 states."

But these poll findings "suggest caution" to conservative activists who think this will mobilize voters, he says. "People were warned, with lots of overheated rhetoric, about the consequences of gay marriage in Massachusetts. They didn't see it affect their own lives. Now, most people have let loose a collective yawn about the issue."

Poll findings:

A majority of respondents at every level of education and income say same-sex marriage is "strictly private." This was true:

• In every region: East (71%), West (64%), Midwest (63%) and South (56%).

• Among all ages except "65 and older": 18 to 29 (79%), 30 to 49 (65%), 50 to 64% (62%) and 65 and older (44%).

• Among people who also say they have a favorable view of any of the three leading presidential candidates. For those holding favorable views for John McCain, 55% say marriage is a private decision; for Barack Obama, 75% say so; and for Hillary Clinton, 69% do. All three oppose same-sex marriage. Both Democrats both favor civil unions.

• Among people who say a relative, friend or co-worker personally has told them he or she was gay or lesbian (73%).

The strongest support for government regulation of same-sex marriage came from people who say they:

• Attend religious services weekly (56%).

• Are Republicans (56%).

• Are politically conservative (54%).

"After Massachusetts, the public has seen that the decision there has not affected people's lives as much as was feared," Rozell says.

Still, there are forms of marriage Americans overwhelmingly do want to see regulated: 66% say polygamy should not be a strictly private decision; 78% say the government should regulate marriages involving someone under 16.

Every state but one, New Hampshire, requires parental permission to marry someone under 18, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. New Hampshire sets the age at 17. Mississippi sets it at 21.

Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
    The strongest support for government regulation of same-sex marriage came from people who say they:

• Are Republicans (56%).

• Are politically conservative (54%).
    What's with you people?

Gators is offline Banned
    Good gracious, go get married and spare us all your gay agenda. Look for me in the "I'm straight and proud" march...

If it's such a majority, then why are you for activist judges going against the vote of the people? You mentioned about the past racial issues, but minorities don't have a choice, you do.

Will this post get me banned, like the ******* banning last time?

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member

Are Republicans (56%).

Are politically conservative (54%).
    What's with you people?
    Sorry to tell you this, but most people, including you, don't know what it means to be a conservative Republican anymore. The "conservative Republicans" referred to in that article are actually a bunch of religious fanatics that have since taken over the Republican party and have nothing in common with the actual conservatism movement, yet they are always referred to as "conservatives."

Quote Originally Posted by Gators View Post
    Good gracious, go get married and spare us all your gay agenda. Look for me in the "I'm straight and proud" march...

If it's such a majority, then why are you for activist judges going against the vote of the people? You mentioned about the past racial issues, but minorities don't have a choice, you do.

...because our system is not set-up as a democracy. There are checks and balances for every branch of government and that includes the branch "of the people."

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blome View Post
    Sorry to tell you this, but most people, including you, don't know what it means to be a conservative Republican anymore. The "conservative Republicans" referred to in that article are actually a bunch of religious fanatics that have since taken over the Republican party and have nothing in common with the actual conservatism movement, yet they are always referred to as "conservatives."
    You are my new online friend. "Conservatism" has been destroyed.

The "conservative Republicans" referred to in that article are actually a bunch of religious fanatics that have since taken over the Republican party and have nothing in common with the actual conservatism movement, yet they are always referred to as "conservatives."
    I agree.

This post will not get you banned but it sure makes you look like a fool. We'll keep you around for comic relief.

Act of God is offline Member
    ...because our system is not set-up as a democracy. There are checks and balances for every branch of government and that includes the branch "of the people."
    Lol, not exactly Blome. There is no branch "of the people". Oddly, the Court in this decision has basically said:

The people cannot vote upon the rights of others. Therefore we will not allow the referendum vote to prohibit gay marriage.

The key there is that the courts intervened and said that the people cannot vote to prohibit RIGHTS.

At the same time, the same courts allow people to vote to prohibit gun rights ad nauseum. Owning a gun is the freaking SECOND amendment. There is no marriage amendment (gay, straight, or otherwise). Yet, the bs California Court sees fit to uphold gun bans and allow gay marriage. They are effectively taking away one core constitutional right and creating one that did not ever exist.

If they want to allow gay marriage, fine. Using the same logic, however, they have to overturn every single gun ban in this country.

Gators is offline Banned
    This post will not get you banned but it sure makes you look like a fool. We'll keep you around for comic relief.
    nice 'duck'....

Like Act of God said, liberals are hypocrites.

I'm not a Republican anymore, i'm a conservative independant.

Gators is offline Banned
    Oh, so when you disagree, it makes me a fool eh? Nice one Carlos, right up there w/ calling me a poopoo head.

Quote Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
    Lol, not exactly Blome. There is no branch "of the people". Oddly, the Court in this decision has basically said:

The people cannot vote upon the rights of others. Therefore we will not allow the referendum vote to prohibit gay marriage.

The key there is that the courts intervened and said that the people cannot vote to prohibit RIGHTS.

At the same time, the same courts allow people to vote to prohibit gun rights ad nauseum. Owning a gun is the freaking SECOND amendment. There is no marriage amendment (gay, straight, or otherwise). Yet, the bs California Court sees fit to uphold gun bans and allow gay marriage. They are effectively taking away one core constitutional right and creating one that did not ever exist.

If they want to allow gay marriage, fine. Using the same logic, however, they have to overturn every single gun ban in this country.
    I didn't mean that literally, hence the quotes, but the voice of the people is certainly an aspect of government that can't be aloud to have free rein. Just as there are checks and balances protecting the people from the goverment becoming tyrannical there are also checks and balances to protect the government from the people voting themselves into a tyrannical state.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

nice 'duck'....

Like Act of God said, liberals are hypocrites.

I'm not a Republican anymore, i'm a conservative independant.
    Oh, so when you disagree, it makes me a fool eh? Nice one Carlos, right up there w/ calling me a poopoo head.
    I like how it took you 4 minutes to come up with your second reply. Like I said, comic relief.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member

Man what a post... seriously bro this post has nothing to do with being gay..(well it does) but more so to do with a step in the right direction of breaking down group barriers and attaining true equality (removing group mentality).... its finally a step in the right direction...we will only have truly evolved as a species when we can say the right of the individual is paramount and what that person decides to do with their life is their own business...so regardless of your orientation you should very excited to see this and be living in these times...

Gators is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soulstealer View Post
    Man what a post... seriously bro this post has nothing to do with being gay..(well it does) but more so to do with a step in the right direction of breaking down group barriers and attaining true equality (removing group mentality).... its finally a step in the right direction...we will only have truly evolved as a species when we can say the right of the individual is paramount and what that person decides to do with their life is their own business...so regardless of your orientation you should very excited to see this and be living in these times...
    See, i flat out disagree. I think homosexuality is a choice, and the definition of marriage should not be changed because of what one group CHOSES to do. Don't give me that bs that 'they can't help it, i am a recovering cocaine addict, been clean for 20 years, and i made a conscious decision not to be an addict of anything anymore. It wasn't easy, especially at 1st, but i did it. Now that may be a far out analogy, but because Carlos makes the choice to put his penis where another man evacuates his bowels, that doesn't mean we have to change everything for that group. That's the difference between the gay marriage issue and the civil rights issues.

Personally, i don't dislike gay people, but as a Christian, i cannot accept it is 'normal' because the Bible, and i believe Christ himself said sex is for husband and wife, anything outside of that is a sin. Sin is sin, and I am told not to judge, so i'll let Him do that.

I still think it should be determined by a vote of the people, not by legislation from the bench.

Peace.

DeputyLoneWolf is offline Associate Member
    See, i flat out disagree. I think homosexuality is a choice, and the definition of marriage should not be changed because of what one group CHOSES to do. Don't give me that bs that 'they can't help it, i am a recovering cocaine addict, been clean for 20 years, and i made a conscious decision not to be an addict of anything anymore. It wasn't easy, especially at 1st, but i did it. Now that may be a far out analogy, but because Carlos makes the choice to put his penis where another man evacuates his bowels, that doesn't mean we have to change everything for that group. That's the difference between the gay marriage issue and the civil rights issues.

Personally, i don't dislike gay people, but as a Christian, i cannot accept it is 'normal' because the Bible, and i believe Christ himself said sex is for husband and wife, anything outside of that is a sin. Sin is sin, and I am told not to judge, so i'll let Him do that.

I still think it should be determined by a vote of the people, not by legislation from the bench.

Peace.

Gator, I totally agree, good post.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Good to hear that the majority disagree with restricting the Rights of gay Americans. Not like it matters really. I don't have the power to restrict, permit, or deny the rights of anyone else anymore than they have that same power to disparage my own. Any law restricting gay marriage was never a law in the first place.

I hate the whole idea that marriage licenses are needed anyway. A license is really just a permit, and a permit implies that permission is needed. If we have unlimited Right to contract, why then would I need to get permission from another in order to make my union to another legal?

State sanctioned marriage is BS.
    Last edited by inheritmylife; 06-06-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Peace.
    I have to make a point here that being a Christian is also a "choice"....just like believing in the bible is a "choice" and without getting any further into this.... its only bad or wrong in your eyes because of your "choice" so how can we accept you as being 'normal' as you put it if your views are extreme (or not normal) being that you are currently out of step with the majority?

Blog Entries
    I have to make a point here that being a Christian is also a "choice"....just like believing in the bible is a "choice" and without getting any further into this.... its only bad or wrong in your eyes because of your "choice" so how can we accept you as being 'normal' as you put it if your views are extreme (or not normal) being that you are currently out of step with the majority?
    +2...

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    DeputyLoneWolf+Gator= Never a more clear stereotypical example of the "Uneducated Ignorant Southern Religious Fanatics."

You two might be surprised to know that more and more scientific evidence points to homosexuality being a biological disorder like any other. Sexual orientation is genetically predispositioned, and you bigots might have known that and saved yourselves the embarassment of this thread if you had bothered to get your news and information from more than just your Sunday morning Pastor and Rush Limbaugh's blog...

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    DeputyLoneWolf+Gator= Never a more clear stereotypical example of the "Uneducated Ignorant Southern Religious Fanatics."

You two might be surprised to know that more and more scientific evidence points to homosexuality being a biological disorder like any other. Sexual orientation is genetically predispositioned, and you bigots might have known that and saved yourselves the embarassment of this thread if you had bothered to get your news and information from more than just your Sunday morning Pastor and Rush Limbaugh's blog...

"Uneducated Southern Religious Fanatics"? "Bigots" Hmm, Im sure if I were to call someone a flaming butt pirate I would get suspended huh.

Grow up and if you can't enter any valid points in this discussion then don't bother posting. It has never been proven in any scientific test to be predispositioned and I would like for you to find me one such study.

You sir, by your language are the one embarassing yourself.

We are not out of step with the majority. The liberal media would have you believe this but it is not the case. Since the pilgrims landed this country has been founded on biblical principles. Even the native americans that were here before knew about "The great Spirit." Why do you think that America is the greatest country on earth?

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyLoneWolf View Post
    "Uneducated Southern Religious Fanatics"? "Bigots" Hmm, Im sure if I were to call someone a flaming butt pirate I would get suspended huh.

Grow up and if you can't enter any valid points in this discussion then don't bother posting. It has never been proven in any scientific test to be predispositioned and I would like for you to find me one such study.

yes you would.

Prove that its not? Whats your proof a fiction book?

There are many gay people that will say they are born that way thats enough proof for me.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    We are not out of step with the majority. The liberal media would have you believe this but it is not the case. Since the pilgrims landed this country has been founded on biblical principles. Even the native americans that were here before knew about "The great Spirit." Why do you think that America is the greatest country on earth?
    and the acient greece had a god for everything. What does that prove. Where are those gods now?

Have you ever left this country?

Peducho0113 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    yes you would.

Prove that its not? Whats your proof a fiction book?

There are many gay people that will say they are born that way thats enough proof for me.
    +2..

No no I think you missed the whole point of my post... I didnt say that Christians were a minority in the country... what I stated was it was a choice and that "extremist Christian views" are the same as extremist Muslim views" in that they are a minority of the religious world. I have no problem with freedom of religion I do however have a problem with people who see their view point (be it religious political or whatever) as being the 1 true and only way about it and completely over looking the rights of the individual as every should be treated equal I know your not going to understand that and your just going to justify by saying I am not a "believer" or whatever but its ok...because I respect your individual rights...

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Are you seriously trying to call native American's "Great Spirit" belief a recognition of early Christianity by them? Dude, your posts are getting more and ridiculous everytime you post.

Even the native americans that were here before knew about "The great Spirit." Why do you think that America is the greatest country on earth?
    Native Americans considered homosexuals as holly people and shaman. They were elevated and revered.

According to Native American scholars, many tribes once revered Two-Spirits, viewing them as a third gender with a special spiritual connectedness. In these tribes, Two-Spirits filled important tribal roles as counselors, storytellers and healers.

This belief, scholars have also observed, has been eroded in many places by the imposition of Judeo-Christian views of homosexuality as sinful.

"Homophobia was taught to us as a component of Western education and religion,"

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Native Americans considered homosexuals as holly people and shaman. They were elevated and revered.
    Those would be the "Berdache," or "two spirited" people . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berdache
    Two-Spirit

From Wikipedia

Two-Spirit (also two spirit or twospirit) people are American Indians who fulfill one of many mixed gender roles found traditionally among many American Indian and Canadian First Nations indigenous groups. Traditionally the roles included wearing the clothing and performing the work of both male and female genders. The term usually implies a masculine spirit and a feminine spirit living in the same body and was coined by contemporary gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender Native Americans to describe themselves and the traditional roles they are reclaiming. There are many indigenous terms for these individuals in the various Native American languages as "what scholars generically refer to as 'Native American gender diversity' was a fundamental institution among most tribal peoples"[1].
    As of 1991, male and female bodied Two-Spirit people have been "documented in over 130 North American tribes, in every region of the continent, among every type of native culture"[2].
    (more at the weblink)

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis

Canadian scientists have uncovered new evidence which shows genetics has a role to play in determining whether an individual is homosexual or heterosexual.

The research was conducted by Dr. Sandra Witelson, a neuroscientist in the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine at McMaster University, and colleagues at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto who studied the brains of healthy, right-handed, 18- to 35-year-old homosexual and heterosexual men using structural Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).

About 10 years ago, Witelson and Dr. Cheryl McCormick, then a student of Witelson's, demonstrated there is a higher proportion of left-handers in the homosexual population than in the general population -- a result replicated in subsequent studies which is now accepted as fact.

Handedness is a sign of how the brain is organized to represent different aspects of intelligence. Language, for example, is usually on the left - music on the right.

In other research, Witelson and research associate Debra Kigar, had found that left-handers have a larger region of the posterior corpus callosum -- the thick band of nerve fibres connecting the two hemispheres of the brain -- than right handers.

This raised the hypothesis for the current study -- whether the anatomy of the brain of the sub-group of right-handed homosexual men is similar to that of left-handers.

They found that the posterior part of the corpus callosum is larger in homosexual than heterosexual men.

The size of the corpus callosum is largely inherited suggesting a genetic factor in sexual orientation, said Witelson "Our results do not mean that heredity is destiny but they do indicate that environment is not the only player in the field," she said.

While this is not a litmus test for sexual orientation, Witelson said this finding could prove to be one additional valuable piece of information for physicians and individuals who are trying to determine their sexual orientation. "Sometimes people aren't sure of their sexual orientation."

The researchers also undertook a correlational analysis which included size of the corpus callosum, and test scores scores on language, visual spatial and finger dexterity tests. "By using all these variables, we were able to predict sexual orientation in 95 per cent of the cases," she said.

The research was just reported in the on-line edition of the Archives of Sexual Behaviour prior to the release of its printed version.

Perhaps if you extended your reading beyond that of a 5,000 year old work of fiction, you might be more aware of some of the latest research in science. I'd say since their study was able to predict homosexuality in 95% of cases that it presents very strong evidence that homosexuality is biologically based, and it is not rather a choice that a person makes. Does that burn you up inside? That these people you and your religious cronies ostracize and treat with contempt have no choice in the matter? That the designer of all living things, your great God, is responsible for these people being the way they are? Because if it is biologically based, that is exactly what it means.

I have a huge problem with people like you. You live inside of a vacume, a bubble. You shut out evidence that doesn't agree with your viewpoint. On top of that, you believe that you have the RIGHT to tell other people how to live their lives, and then judge them for the way they live it. Doesn't God say that man should not judge?

All of that aside. Treating gays differently because you dont agree with their lifestyle is akin to treating African Americans differently because they are black. Racism of the past used RELIGION to justify chattel slavery, just as people today are using RELIGION to justify the discrimination of gays!

I just presented you with FACTUAL evidence of my view point. You say things which are nothing more than opinion, like "America is the greatest nation on earth." America disregards the rights of other sovereign nations, it ruthlessly slaughters MILLIONS of people in wars meant strictly for profiteering and modern day Crusading to wipe out the "False" religion. America openly TORTURES Gods children, and deprives them of inalienable rights they are born with. Yea, we're the greatest nation on earth, and we set a stellar example for other nations of people to follow. What a joke.

Blog Entries
    I think this deserves a bump , DeputyLoneWolf can we get a response ?

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I think this deserves a bump , DeputyLoneWolf can we get a response ?
    Absolutely when I get a chance (been working a lot of OT). And I appreciate that most responses to my posts are mature and not bashing.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely when I get a chance (been working a lot of OT). And I appreciate that most responses to my posts are mature and not bashing.
    I guess you haven't gotten a free 10 mins out of your day yet.

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    you know what....

i had been abused as a child. i had horrible very physically abusive parents. I have had HORRIBLE abusive relationships... hell, my mother sent me an email 2 weeks ago (after not talking to her for 10yrs) saying she is ashamed she made a faggot and hopes i die of aids.....

i'm gay - and i finally found someone i love, who treats me right, who i respect - and who respects me.

with all the shit going on in this world - 9/11, war, crime, hate crimes, murders, all the hate in the middle east....

what the **** is wrong with 2 people who love each other?

i can think of HUNDREDS of things in this world that are worse than 2 people who love each other, and want to show commitment to each other.

oklahoma has a 75% divorce rate. how sacred is that? how sacred is who wants to marry a millionare?

in canada, gay marriage is legal everywhere. and guess what? the family home still exists. the country didnt fall apart. there is no riots in the streets. the mom/dad/kids unit still exists. but at the same time, those who love each other who just happen to be of the same sex - they exist too.

the day MY marriage to my same sex partner affects the LIVES OF OTHERS DIRECTLY, then yes - i would see a problem. untill then, worry about your own lives and work on making your home a happy place for YOUR family.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicotine View Post
    you know what....

i had been abused as a child. i had horrible very physically abusive parents. I have had HORRIBLE abusive relationships... hell, my mother sent me an email 2 weeks ago (after not talking to her for 10yrs) saying she is ashamed she made a faggot and hopes i die of aids.....

i'm gay - and i finally found someone i love, who treats me right, who i respect - and who respects me.

with all the shit going on in this world - 9/11, war, crime, hate crimes, murders, all the hate in the middle east....

i can think of HUNDREDS of things in this world that are worse than 2 people who love each other, and want to show commitment to each other.

oklahoma has a 75% divorce rate. how sacred is that? how sacred is who wants to marry a millionare?

in canada, gay marriage is legal everywhere. and guess what? the family home still exists. the country didnt fall apart. there is no riots in the streets. the mom/dad/kids unit still exists. but at the same time, those who love each other who just happen to be of the same sex - they exist too.

the day MY marriage to my same sex partner affects the LIVES OF OTHERS DIRECTLY, then yes - i would see a problem. untill then, worry about your own lives and work on making your home a happy place for YOUR family.
    Unfortunately, some people will never understand that. Here in America, we use the democratic process to decide issues like whether or not two men can wed, whether I want to allow people to smoke in my bar, and a million other things that should never be up for a vote. Who cares right?

It's majority rule here. If you aren't in the majority, you're SOL. It doesn't help that the average voting person in this country is an idiot.

gst528i is offline Senior Member
    why hate gay people or not give them the same rights when there other more pressing issues that directly affect our lives. Bitch about god said this and that while ignoring other things considered sin. So when did prostitution become okay in god's bible? Well las vegas is doing just fine ...Get over it and find other pressing issues that need to be solved.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gst528i View Post
    why hate gay people or not give them the same rights when there other more pressing issues that directly affect our lives. Bitch about god said this and that while ignoring other things considered sin. So when did prostitution become okay in god's bible? Well las vegas is doing just fine ...Get over it and find other pressing issues that need to be solved.
    umm, prostitution is illegal in Las Vegas (Clark County). There are counties in Nevada where prostitution is legal, but not in las vegas.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicotine View Post
    you know what....

Mate, a very touching post I thought, I feel sorry your mother is so blinded by ignorance. Your point about two people loving each other is a good point. Not to go off tangent but i watched a documentory on incestual relationships. Basically there was this couple that met, fell in love, etc, THEN they find out they are actually brother and sister. However they carry on their relationship. They even have children, but the children are taken away from them each time and the man gets thrown into prison. Now, is this a bad thing or not?

gst528i is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    umm, prostitution is illegal in Las Vegas (Clark County). There are counties in Nevada where prostitution is legal, but not in las vegas.
    yea i meant nevada ... forgot about the 400,000 population rule

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information