Thread: Buy Black

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished

Buy Black

It's been two months since 2-year-old Cori pulled the gold stud from her left earlobe, and the piercing is threatening to close as her mother, Maggie Anderson, hunts for a replacement.

It's not that the earring was all that rare -- but finding the right store has become a quest of Quixotic proportions.

Maggie and John Anderson of Chicago vowed four months ago that for one year, they would try to patronize only black-owned businesses. The "Empowerment Experiment" is the reason John had to suffer for hours with a stomach ache and Maggie no longer gets that brand-name lather when she washes her hair. A grocery trip is a 14-mile odyssey.

"We kind of enjoy the sacrifice because we get to make the point ... but I am going without stuff and I am frustrated on a daily basis," Maggie Anderson said. "It's like, my people have been here 400 years and we don't even have a Walgreens to show for it."

So far, the Andersons have spent hundreds of dollars with black businesses from grocery stores to dry cleaners. But the couple still hasn't found a mortgage lender, home security system vendor or toy store. Nonetheless, they're hoping to expand the endeavor beyond their Chicago home.

Plans are under way to track spending among supporters nationwide and build a national database of quality black businesses. The first affiliate chapter has been launched in Atlanta, and the couple has established a foundation to raise funds for black businesses and an annual convention.

"We have the real power to do something, to use the money we spend every day to solve our problems," Maggie Anderson said recently at a meet-and-greet in Atlanta. "We have to believe that black businesses are just as good as everybody else's."

Now, the Andersons are following up with 4,000 people who signed up for the experiment on their Web site to gauge their commitment and set up online accounts to track their spending. Hundreds have also joined the experiment's Facebook page, Maggie Anderson said.

Gregory Price, chairman of the economics department at Morehouse College, said black visionaries like Booker T. Washington and Marcus Garvey made similar calls to action.

"The idea is a sound one, given that black Americans are still underrepresented in the ranks of the self-employed and that entrepreneurship is a key component to wealth," Price said.

There are one million black businesses in the United States accounting for more than $100 billion in annual sales, according to the National Black Chamber of Commerce. The latest U.S. Census numbers report that blacks have more than $800 billion in expendable income each year.

The Andersons track their spending on their Web site and estimate about 55 percent of their monthly spending is with black businesses for things like day care, groceries, car maintenance and home improvements.

One of the businesses highlighted by the Empowerment Experiment is Brenda Brown's Atlanta wine boutique, a shop with a growing black clientele. She said the project can help overcome the problems many black consumers lament.

"When we were a community of black folks who could not go to the white stores, our community of black stores flourished," Brown said. "When we were given the opportunity to go into the white store, it was like nothing else mattered anymore and we wanted to go to the white store, regardless of what the black store provided. We could have the same or better products if we supported (black businesses) in the same way."

Lewis Peeples, 45, lives in a black neighborhood in southwest Atlanta but didn't think to spend his money with black businesses until a friend told him about the project.

"So often, we make purchases and decisions and aren't even mindful that there is a a need to support our own businesses," said Peeples. "Now, I'm reaching out and making sure I know that I have an option when I look to make a purchase."

Two months ago, he committed to patronizing black businesses and found a black dry cleaner 10 minutes from home. Even when he was dissatisfied with his black doctor, he was able to find a new one. He suggests both to friends and refers others to the experiment's Web site, where he tracks his expenses.

Dallas Smith, who owns a commercial real estate firm in Atlanta, said mainstream retailers have undervalued black consumers. He lives in a black neighborhood in southwest Atlanta, where he tries to dine at black restaurants. He lamented the lack of quality businesses catering to black customers and said blacks should appreciate such businesses more.

"We've still got that 'the white man's water is colder' mentality," he said. "We can't take us for granted. When we go to our establishments, it's almost like we're doing a favor. That ought to be a given for us."

The Andersons remain encouraged by their momentum online and in the media. At the end of 2009, they hope to show $1 million in spending with black businesses among supporters across the country.

"The response has been so huge," Maggie Anderson said. "We think so much can come out of this. We're in movement-making mode now."

Price, the Morehouse professor, said defining the project's success won't be easy, since the real barriers to black advancement are poor access to capital and lack of training opportunities.

"It would be nice to see some real, hard data," Price said. "Otherwise, it could just be an episode of ethnic cheerleading."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_202918.html

vpchill is offline "Born to lose, Dying to win"
    I feel that, But They are spending more just trying to locate Black only businesses. Im not gonna kill myself. If I see a store and they have what I want then so be it. Im all about helping, but thats a little extreme and depending on your area almost impossible

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    already posted on this, but... talked to my brother who lives in atlanta.. they have not heard of this or seen it in the news...

so i guess it's like the million man march with 10K attending..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    already posted on this, but... talked to my brother who lives in atlanta.. they have not heard of this or seen it in the news...

so i guess it's like the million man march with 10K attending..
    Id have to Disagree. I was at the Original Million Man March. Im not sure if it was an official million, But it was very close. What they showed was where the speeches were being held. There were people all over spread out within a few miles in every direction. You had to see most of the speech on tvs beacuse you couldnt get close enuff. There were speeches being held at other locations nearby. They always try to downplay the number. It really holds no real weight the day was about Unity.

jfalco is offline Member
    Good post Kratos.

I'm not black, but I applaud this sort of effort to establish a communtity and help others who face similar hardships to succeed. Every little bit helps.

I've always admired a similar attitude that is common in the Jewish community.

I also disagree with spywizard on this one. You have to start somewhere, not matter how small.

^^Agreed, Always well spoken Jfalco

cool, so lets start a fund for underprivileged children, the primary requirement is that they be white.. and exclude all other races from applying not only to access to the funds but, access to the college that it supports..

how'd that be??

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

^^^ Where does it mandate that all underpriviledged children are black and they be the only ones who get assistance?

Basically, If Im not mistaken. What the Andersons are attempting to do, is to help the Black owned business by supporting them with all shopping needs.
    I have no problem with that, There are not many Black owned businesses so It does become hard to do.

jfalco is offline Member
    cool, so lets start a fund for underprivileged children, the primary requirement is that they be white.. and exclude all other races from applying not only to access to the funds but, access to the college that it supports..

how'd that be??

I get your point, but I don't see this as the same sort of thing. I see it more as an attempt to establish a community.

I also wouldn't have a problem with the sort of charity that you are talking about. All underpriviliged people need help, including underpriviliged white children. All charity is good, and underpriviliged white children might be a group that is often overlooked.

I don't think it's a positive way of thinking at this point in time for the Black community to start segregating their buying needs.
    I can understand if you buy someone you know or someone you hear is a nice guy...but not skin color alone.
    I was more curious on what other people would say.

Maybe I'll put out a book on white only owned businesses and see how the media labels me.

Quote Originally Posted by jfalco View Post
    I get your point, but I don't see this as the same sort of thing. I see it more as an attempt to establish a community.

I also wouldn't have a problem with the sort of charity that you are talking about. All underprivileged people need help, including underprivileged white children. All charity is good.

thank you.. If one of my children were to apply to attend the Negro college fund, or apply to receive a grant from them they would be denied..

The point of my post is seperationist, and segragationist demand and are trying to be identified as special and unique, my point is what makes you unique??

What you contribute to humanity?? your values and lifestyle that make the country better and stronger??

NO, until a "man" is seen walking down the street and not a "black man" or "white man" or "gay man" there can be no equality in society..

By separating themselves from society they continue to perpetrate hate and un acceptance..

Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I don't think it's a positive way of thinking at this point in time for the Black community to start segregating their buying needs.
    I can understand if you buy someone you know or someone you hear is a nice guy...but not skin color alone.
    I was more curious on what other people would say.

Maybe I'll put out a book on white only owned businesses and see how the media labels me.
    I believe, they are only trying to strenghten the businesses in their community. Everything is white owned- LOL. Walmart, Target most mom and pop stores.
    Near me its Chinese and indian. I commend them for the effort, Me I would not incovenience myself to search for black only business. As long as the product is what I am looking for and a reasonable price, I will purchase.

Spywizard, I totally see where you are comming from. Yet, Without programs like United Negro college fund, Many Black youth would not be able to afford college. There is more funding now, But there was a time where it was almost impossible to get into a good college/university unless you had a jump shot or could run a fast 40time.
    The seperation and such were not started by the black community. They had to find ways to even the playing field by creating programs to assist with people going to college.
    Black people were seperated from society Long before we were born. I do understand youor point tho and it is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by vpchill View Post
    I believe, they are only trying to strenghten the businesses in their community. Everything is white owned- LOL. Walmart, Target most mom and pop stores.
    Near me its Chinese and indian. I commend them for the effort, Me I would not incovenience myself to search for black only business. As long as the product is what I am looking for and a reasonable price, I will purchase.

and i'd agree with you 100%.. so what is the purpose of their actions?? what are they attempting to do?? call attention to the fact that not many businesses are owned by blacks??

again, i'd ask what does the color of the skin have to do with their ability to run a business?? or own one??

Rules

Spywizard, I totally see where you are comming from. Yet, Without programs like United Negro college fund, Many Black youth would not be able to afford college. There is more funding now, But there was a time where it was almost impossible to get into a good college/university unless you had a jump shot or could run a fast 40time.
    The seperation and such were not started by the black community. They had to find ways to even the playing field by creating programs to assist with people going to college.
    Black people were seperated from society Long before we were born. I do understand youor point tho and it is valid.

yep, and i understand yours as well.. it's all good..

Rules

FYI - JMO, We can debate black and white all day but I believe more NON-Americans are given better opportunities than Most americans.
    Thats School and business opps.

Target and walmart are public traded companies. I think race is not holding black people back anymore, and the free market will start to decide who are fit to be business owners. When it comes to francised companies and obtaining loans, white people can't even come close to competition with an equally qualified black candidate.

This type of thinking is in my mind racist and a step backwards. Burn up $10 of Arab gas to give $2 to a black dude. To go out of your way based on skin color should not be the direction we are taking things.

As far as the Color of skin SpyWizard, Its actually Yes and NO. The black business owner will not get the same type of clientel (Mispel?) as the white business. This is programmed to us from youth.
    If there are two stores on a 4 corner intersection, 1 white owned and 1 black owned. We assume the white owned has the better product and prices. We create reasoning that the white owned store is closer. Its just something that is installed early.
    So what they are trying to do (The Andersons) is break that Mold. Change that way of thinking.

Kratos I totally Agree, As I said I wouldnt do it. I Do commend them on the effort, I understand what they are trying to accomplish. Myself I could care less as long as I get what I am looking for.

Black people were seperated from society Long before we were born.
    This is very true, but I feel like at some point we need to stop looking at color and why not now?

This is very true, but I feel like at some point we need to stop looking at color and why not now?
    Yea, I agree. Some people may not feel the same way. Color never mattered to me. My fathers black and my mom white. I can speak on both sides. Ive been to the gutterest (is this a word) ghetto and the nicest suburb. Some people are not inteligent enuff to look past color.

jfalco is offline Member
    Target and walmart are public traded companies. I think race is not holding black people back anymore, and the free market will start to decide who are fit to be business owners. When it comes to francised companies and obtaining loans, white people can't even come close to competition with an equally qualified black candidate.

This type of thinking is in my mind racist and a step backwards. Burn up $10 of Arab gas to give $2 to a black dude. To go out of your way based on skin color should not be the direction we are taking things.
    Establishing a community based on the color of your skin is not necessarily racist. It is no different that a community of people with tattoos or a community of body builders.

I look at it more like seeing a group of people with similar interests and doing what you can to help that group of people.

I would agree with you 100% if the article you posted was suggesting boycoting white business. But it takes a positive point of view and suggest patronizing black business. It says nothing negative about any other businesses.

Going out of your way to help someone is a good thing, it doesn't matter how you choose who to help.

jfalco is offline Member
    I 100% agree, but unless you can make it happen instantaniously, I see no problem with using our similarities and differences as a tool for advancement.

Everyone here has made valid Points. Its amazing to see how each person views a subject like this.

mho
    mho is offline Member
    thank you.. If one of my children were to apply to attend the Negro college fund, or apply to receive a grant from them they would be denied..

The point of my post is seperationist, and segragationist demand and are trying to be identified as special and unique, my point is what makes you unique??

What you contribute to humanity?? your values and lifestyle that make the country better and stronger??

NO, until a "man" is seen walking down the street and not a "black man" or "white man" or "gay man" there can be no equality in society..

By separating themselves from society they continue to perpetrate hate and un acceptance..
    I have always felt the same way.

Thread Information