Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beetlegeuse

Thread: 2/3rds of Millennials & Gen-Zers don't know what the Holocaust was

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

2/3rds of Millennials & Gen-Zers don't know what the Holocaust was

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

-- George Santayana, Reason in Common Sense

Almost two-thirds of millennials, Gen Z don’t know that 6 million Jews were killed in the Holocaust, survey finds

Almost two-thirds of millennials and Gen Zers don’t know that 6 million Jews were killed in the Holocaust, and almost half can’t name a single concentration camp, an alarming new survey on Holocaust knowledge has found.

The survey demonstrated wide gaps in younger American’s knowledge of the genocide while also showing a concerning 15% of millennials and Gen Zers thought holding neo-Nazi views was acceptable.

“How much of that is based on genuine understanding of neo-Nazis principles and how much is based on ignorance is hard to tell. Either of them is very disturbing,” said Gideon Taylor, president of the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, which commissioned the survey.

“If people can’t name Auschwitz … that’s something that’s deeply concerning. I don’t think there is any greater symbol of man’s depravity in recent history than Auschwitz,” he added.

The survey is the fifth in a series that looks at people’s knowledge of Holocaust history worldwide as well as education around the genocide.

The survey of 1,000 18- to 39-year-olds in all 50 states also provided the first state-by-state breakdown of Holocaust knowledge in the U.S. In New York, for example, which ranked among the bottom 10 states in an analysis of Holocaust knowledge, nearly 20% of millennials and Gen Zers incorrectly believe that Jews caused the Holocaust.

That sort of denial and distortion around the causes of the Holocaust “is a form of anti-Semitism,” said Gretchen Skidmore, the director of education initiatives for the Levine Family Institute for Holocaust Education at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.

The results come amid a rise in anti-Semitic incidents around the U.S. in recent years. The Anti-Defamation League said in May that it had recorded an all-time high of anti-Semitic incidents in 2019 since it tracking of such events began in 1979.

Another concerning finding in the Claims Conference survey: Almost half of respondents had seen social media posts denying or distorting facts about the Holocaust, and more than half said they had seen Nazi symbols in their community or online.

Taylor said these results demonstrate how the internet “has given a voice to and amplified Holocaust denial in a way that was unimaginable just a few years ago.”...

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    That's horrific. I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not. I don't automatically assume that its "denial" as much as its that they don't know the dates or impact of ANYTHING! Ask them what year 9/11 happened (which they lived through) and most will get it wrong.

Its unfortunate the article didn't link to the survey itself, always a good practice, but for those interested it was conducted by the Claims Conference on Jewish Material Claims against Germany, more on the survey here: FIRST-EVER 50-STATE SURVEY ON HOLOCAUST KNOWLEDGE OF AMERICAN MILLENNIALS AND GEN Z REVEALS SHOCKING RESULTS |

A good way to see the questions asked with nation-wide responses:
    http://www.claimscon.org/wp-content/...ey-TOPLINE.pdf

Thanks for sharing,
    C-

You make good points. The same kids probably couldn't tell you what happened on December 7th, 1941.
    Charlie67 likes this.

posted in error. please delete.
    Last edited by Beetlegeuse; 09-23-2020 at 10:13 AM.

posted in error. please delete.
    Last edited by Beetlegeuse; 09-23-2020 at 10:13 AM.

2jz_calgary is offline Senior Member
    They dont teach any real history in schools anymore. I fear for how stupid the world will soon be.

Thread Information