Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By i_SLAM_cougars

Thread: Facebook And Google Indexing Your Firearm Serial Numbers

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

Facebook And Google Indexing Your Firearm Serial Numbers

NOTICE: Facebook And Google Indexing Your Firearm Serial Numbers

Google and Facebook have now made it possible to find photos of firearms by simply typing a serial number into the search box. Earlier today, the automotive website Jalopnik published a story showing how license plate numbers are evidently scanned using optical character recognition (OCR) on Google images, allowing them to be searchable using text queries. Using the OCR hypothesis, TFB wondered if this image data mining technique might be able to be used to search for firearm serial numbers. Using images posted previously on TFB with serial numbers displayed on firearms, we tested the serial number search technique. As you can see from the results below, firearm serial numbers are in fact part of this apparent large-scale data mining operation by companies like Google and Facebook....

To fiddly to re-post the entire article here, follow the link in the headline for more details.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    Hmmm, serial numbers are usually etched in. I'm surprised the character recognition can even identify it (due to the low contrast).

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    It wouldnt do any good.
    Why is everyone so scared of a national registry of serial numbers?

The only way they can take them is one at a tim so who gives a damn?

I still cant believe thheir are people so dumb out there they actually believe the are gonna come collecting.

Thats not how it works.

You just make them illegal and after two generations the idea that guns are illegal is accepted.

You have to put a strap on holding you in your car and if you dont a cop on a motorcyle may pull you over and take money from you. If you dont comply you go to jail or prison.

A culture that open to rights infringement is not gonna revolt on a level that matters.

Sooo...

The vast majority of rednecks will keep their guns even if they were illegalized and the ones that arent arrested and discovered on unrelated issue, will be forgotten as time passes.

Their kids will look back on the stubborn old parents and how crazy they were with their guns...

This is society.
    They are all about acceptance.

The rest is a bunch of chatter by liars who promise a revolt that will never happen. There will not be a tipping point.

The united states government as a whole is not that stupid.

I wish it was so stupid to ban and collect and I wish people actually did what they claim.

Guns will be banned.
    Its a matter of time.
    All the idiot lazy mfers will sit on their guns never shooting the non compliant ones and we will perpetually hand over more and more power to the government to micromanage our lives.

This is the sad truth.
    People as a whole are a bunch of lazy chickenshits and they wont risk getting their ass shot off and the government wont risk them trying to shoot their ass off.

Politics are gay as aids.
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    It wouldnt do any good.
    Why is everyone so scared of a national registry of serial numbers?

The only way they can take them is one at a tim so who gives a damn?

I still cant believe thheir are people so dumb out there they actually believe the are gonna come collecting.

Thats not how it works.

You just make them illegal and after two generations the idea that guns are illegal is accepted.

You have to put a strap on holding you in your car and if you dont a cop on a motorcyle may pull you over and take money from you. If you dont comply you go to jail or prison.

A culture that open to rights infringement is not gonna revolt on a level that matters.

Sooo...

The vast majority of rednecks will keep their guns even if they were illegalized and the ones that arent arrested and discovered on unrelated issue, will be forgotten as time passes.

Their kids will look back on the stubborn old parents and how crazy they were with their guns...

This is society.
    They are all about acceptance.

The rest is a bunch of chatter by liars who promise a revolt that will never happen. There will not be a tipping point.

The united states government as a whole is not that stupid.

I wish it was so stupid to ban and collect and I wish people actually did what they claim.

Guns will be banned.
    Its a matter of time.
    All the idiot lazy mfers will sit on their guns never shooting the non compliant ones and we will perpetually hand over more and more power to the government to micromanage our lives.

This is the sad truth.
    People as a whole are a bunch of lazy chickenshits and they wont risk getting their ass shot off and the government wont risk them trying to shoot their ass off.

Politics are gay as aids.
    Yes, but it would be cool if they tried to take them. Gives me a reason to leave a vial of Tren base and a single 10cc syringe, and a dozen bronkaid in the gun safe. Then we try to beat Tony Montana’s high score
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    Yes, but it would be cool if they tried to take them. Gives me a reason to leave a vial of Tren base and a single 10cc syringe, and a dozen bronkaid in the gun safe. Then we try to beat Tony Montana’s high score
    Lmao!
    That was great

Thread Information