Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beetlegeuse

Thread: 1.8 BILLION barrels of oil found in Alaska

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

1.8 BILLION barrels of oil found in Alaska

This brings to mind a connection between oil prospecting and the science of evolution. One of the reasons we don't yet have a complete evolutionary record is that only a tiny percentage of the planet's surface has been excavated. At least as complete as it can be because fossilization is a rather rare occurrence (most dead things rot rather than turn to stone). The same goes for prospecting for oil. There's whole lots of the planet yet to be prospected for oil, especially under the oceans where the crust happens to be thinner. I doubt it's a coincidence that the same people who've been warning us we're on the verge of running out of oil for my entire life are the same nabobs who've been telling us that human activity will be the cause of unsurvivable planet-wide warming.

Oil exploration firm claims discovery of huge Alaska deposit

Prospect could be the latest in series of big North Slope oil discoveries over the past five years

An oil exploration firm has discovered a deposit of potentially 1.8 billion barrels in Alaska's North Slope region south of Prudhoe Bay, the company said...

...The prospect, called Talitha, ... could ultimately produce about 500 million barrels of oil with peak production nearing 90,000 barrels per day, Pantheon CEO Jay Cheatham said.
    The road likes this.

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Sounds like a good time to top off or increase the strategic reserves.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information