• 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 2 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 1 Post By wango

Thread: Tesla Model X conflagration kills its owner

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

Tesla Model X conflagration kills its owner

16 years in the business and they're still building cars with batteries that explode in otherwise survivable impacts.

Now tell me you want to (try to) fly to Mars in a rocket this guy builds!

Tesla Model X conflagration kills its owner

Police are investigating the fatal conflagration of a Tesla Model X that killed its owner and injured two others in an underground parking garage in Seoul.

The Model X crashed into the wall of the parking garage of an apartment complex in Yongsan District, central Seoul, then caught fire, on Wednesday. This led to the burning death of the car's owner, who was in the passenger seat.

The driver, who escaped with injuries, claimed “the car suddenly got out of control," raising the possibility of a sudden unintended acceleration as the cause of the accident, according to police.

It is unusual for a car slowly winding its way through a parking garage to suddenly smash into a wall and result in the death of a passenger. The police will ask the National Forensic Service to try to determine the cause of the accident.

Some experts asked about the case suggested that the Tesla’s autopilot function could have played a role.

“It is more likely that the car’s autopilot feature malfunctioned or the driver’s misunderstanding of the system caused the accident, instead of a sudden unintended acceleration,” said Kim Pil-soo, a professor at Daelim University College department of automotive engineering, who observed the accident site. “If the car was powered by an internal combustion engine, the fire could have been more easily extinguished. But since it was an electric car, it was harder to stop the fire.”

When an electric car battery catches fire, a so-called thermal runaway can occur in which chemical energy stored in the battery is converted into thermal energy and may result in explosions.

Kim said that Model X’s falcon wing doors — which open upwards — and automatic pop-up door handles may have been obstacles in rescuing the owner in the passenger seat.

“Falcon wing doors are hard to open when the car is badly crushed,” Kim said. “Pop-up handles also make [rescue] difficult as they don’t work when the power is out.”

When the accident occurred, a staffer of the parking garage tried to save the owner but couldn't open the passenger seat door. Fire fighters who arrived at the scene later also failed to do so. It took 25 minutes for the rescue team to take the car owner out through the trunk. It was already too late to save the car owner’s life. The parking garage staffer was taken to the hospital due to injuries he sustained in the rescue attempt.

“There are cases where top-notch technology in cars meant to assist drivers turn out to cause tragedy,” an auto industry source who asked for anonymity said. “An increasing number of electric cars are being released with complex driver assistance features, but there are not enough guidelines outlining how we should deal with such features in accident situations.”

Tesla said it has "nothing to [say] for now" about the accident.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    So what? One guy dies, big deal. You know how many people died from gasoline powered vehicles? You just inflate any story about Tesla because you hate anything progressive. There are thousands of people dying everyday in motorvehicle accidents. Get a grip.
    wango likes this.

jstone is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    So what? One guy dies, big deal. You know how many people died from gasoline powered vehicles? You just inflate any story about Tesla because you hate anything progressive. There are thousands of people dying everyday in motorvehicle accidents. Get a grip.
    once you see those cell light off you might think a little differently. i worked at tesla on the model 3 line. once you see those cells go off, i dont think you would be willing to sit on top of hundreds of them.

the problem isnt that the person was killed its that an accident like this shouldn't cause the cells to ignite. if this person was in a gasoline powered vehicle the person would be alive. if you look at all the motor vehicle accidents the fuel is not the cause of death. its trauma associated with the accident, so its not exactly the same. its still no reason to condemn a car company either.

when you see some of the shit tesla does just to push products out the door, and the ever changing quality standard you would probably not purchase one. my main job was quality inspection of bandileers, 7 of them make up one module. there are 4 modules in a model 3. i dont remember exactly how many cells per bandileer, but you should be over 1000 cells per model 3 if you have the full price one. the 30000 dollar one has a shitload of plastic dummy cells.

the problem is that it doesn't take a lot of force to set the cells off. a fall from waste high can be enough force to set them off. when you have a vehicle on the road you have to ensure that tbose cells will not go off if the car is in an accident at reasonable freeway speeds. in thpe tesla a fender bender can be enough force to ignite the cells. that should be unacceptable.

Anyone can cherry-pick stories to support their viewpoints.

This model X flew more than 80 ft before crashing and all the teens inside were fine, no fire:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electre...e-gallery/amp/

This billionaire’s son crashed his gasoline powered Audi into a store and it caught fire and he died:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....zon-store/amp/

In 2012 I was in Malibu and saw a parked car catch on fire and burn to the ground right in front of me.

My friends who bought a Tesla model S a few months ago wrecked it and had no fire and now they’re back driving it.

I don’t doubt that Tesla has some quality control issues. Again, growing pains. It’s not a widespread problem, and I’ve seen plenty of gasoline powered vehicles catch on fire after an accident. Gasoline is flammable... so I don’t really get the argument.
    wango likes this.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Posted a pic of a mother’s arm holding a kid before seatbelts. What if the car is in a flood or on fire and I can’t get that seatbelt off? It’s a death trap I’m telling you. No one’s going to force me to wear those!

Yikes, change!
    Test Monsterone likes this.

Hey, you know how many people die from saturated fat; from sugar? You don’t see people up in arms about those do you? Let’s protest butter! Damn the meat industry! McDonalds kills more people in a day than Tesla has in years. Why isn’t there a thread on that?

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Hey, you know how many people die from saturated fat; from sugar? You don’t see people up in arms about those do you? Let’s protest butter! Damn the meat industry! McDonalds kills more people in a day than Tesla has in years. Why isn’t there a thread on that?
    lmao that's hilarious, but very true. Beet probably doesn't eat veggies cause they're too liberal. Some kid choked on a piece of lettuce in '05, damn Killer kale.
    wango likes this.

The way I see it is that some people are scared of change...

The OP has previously posted about how the US was better before the Civil Rights Act.
    He has called for resegregatition in the US.
    He has cheered as a black person was killed in a carjacking.

So in my belief he is just a scared man.
    Scared that life may just pass him by.

He has told us how he grew up in a homogenous small town.
    He wants to return to his youth.
    Yet he can't.

The world has changed.
    But he will never give up his fight against any change.

Unfortunately for him the one constant in life is change...
    Test Monsterone and wango like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    The way I see it is that some people are scared of change...

The OP has previously posted about how the US was better before the Civil Rights Act.
    He has called for resegregatition in the US.
    He has cheered as a black person was killed in a carjacking.

So in my belief he is just a scared man.
    Scared that life may just pass him by.

He has told us how he grew up in a homogenous small town.
    He wants to return to his youth.
    Yet he can't.

The world has changed.
    But he will never give up his fight against any change.

Unfortunately for him the one constant in life is change...
    That was prophetic and accurate.

lmao that's hilarious, but very true. Beet probably doesn't eat veggies cause they're too liberal. Some kid choked on a piece of lettuce in '05, damn Killer kale.
    Kale? Kale? What the f is Kale?!? There’s lettuce, that’s what we eat here, lettuce, ice berg lettuce to be specific!

With that said, seriously, Obama caught shit when he referenced the price of arugula once. Seriously, he caught crap for mentioning arugula and not lettuce.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Kale? Kale? What the f is Kale?!? There’s lettuce, that’s what we eat here, lettuce, ice berg lettuce to be specific!

With that said, seriously, Obama caught shit when he referenced the price of arugula once. Seriously, he caught crap for mentioning arugula and not lettuce.
    The entire Republican congress and senate would have had strokes if Obama did 1/10th of what Trump has done. I'm not surprised they were outraged by that. I remember they had days-long segments on Fox because Obama wore a tan-colored suit. They were really reaching.

I can't wait for the documentaries on the clown show that was the Trump presidency. Everyone knew he was poison then, and he's certified poison now. Destroyed the Republican party. It would be hard to be a true conservative now, being stuck between a rock and the looney conspiracy-laden, make-belief world Trump has created.

jstone is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Anyone can cherry-pick stories to support their viewpoints.

This model X flew more than 80 ft before crashing and all the teens inside were fine, no fire:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electre...e-gallery/amp/

This billionaire’s son crashed his gasoline powered Audi into a store and it caught fire and he died:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....zon-store/amp/

In 2012 I was in Malibu and saw a parked car catch on fire and burn to the ground right in front of me.

My friends who bought a Tesla model S a few months ago wrecked it and had no fire and now they’re back driving it.

I don’t doubt that Tesla has some quality control issues. Again, growing pains. It’s not a widespread problem, and I’ve seen plenty of gasoline powered vehicles catch on fire after an accident. Gasoline is flammable... so I don’t really get the argument.
    like i said im not condemning them or saying they're horrible. gas will not ignite from an impact regardless of force, which makes it a much safer fuel for a vehicle. thats all im saying. gasoline as a liquid will not ignite, only the fumes will, and it takes an oustide source to ignite it.

Thread Information