Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 1 Post By Hughinn
  • 1 Post By tarmyg
  • 1 Post By Mooseman33

Thread: I don't understand why....

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer

I don't understand why....

....we don't have a plan for immigrants that test positive for COVID. If citizens are told to self-isolate, don't immigrants deserve a place to do the same?

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/coronav...917.1614786203

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is working closely with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and other federal, state, and local agencies to support the whole-of-government effort to slow the spread of COVID-19 and keep everyone safe.

However, they are provided no isolation area nor provided treatment if needed. They are simply released.

https://www.globaldetentionproject.o...vid-19-updates

In a commentary published in December by the American Journal of Public Health, “Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in Immigration Detention Centres Requires the Release of Detainees,” a group of public health experts in the United States argue that “safely releasing detainees from immigration detention centres into their communities is the most effective way to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in these settings. Failure to do so will result in infection and death from a novel communicable disease and deepen inequities for a population group that already experiences many structural and systemic threats to health and well-being.”

A separate report published by the advocacy group Detention Watch Network argued that counties with ICE detention centres were more likely to report COVID-19 cases earlier in the pandemic and more likely to have a serious outbreak. The group contends that the US detention system’s ineffective efforts to control the virus helped lead to an additional 245,000 cases across the United States by 1 August 2020. In one case from May 2020, officials in Pearsall said that every local case of COVID-19 could be traced back to ICE’s South Texas processing centre, operated by GEO Group, and that the company had failed to properly keep the community informed of developing cases.

Since we are reworking our immigration process,isn't now the time to designate facilities specifically for COVID positive immigrants?

Surely the cost of providing Covid positive people a safe place to self-isolate doesn't outweigh the cost of introducing more Covid into our population.
    Last edited by almostgone; 03-03-2021 at 04:36 PM. Reason: ...spelling...and syntax. Added italics to quotes for clarity
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

For the record this isn't a statement for/against current or past administrations. It's simply a straight up question regarding the concerns of the situation.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    ....we don't have a plan for immigrants that test positive for COVID. If citizens are told to self-isolate, don't immigrants deserve a place to do the same?

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/coronav...917.1614786203

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is working closely with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and other federal, state, and local agencies to support the whole-of-government effort to slow the spread of COVID-19 and keep everyone safe.

However, they are provided no isolation area nor provided treatment if needed. They are simply released.

https://www.globaldetentionproject.o...vid-19-updates

In a commentary published in December by the American Journal of Public Health, “Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in Immigration Detention Centres Requires the Release of Detainees,” a group of public health experts in the United States argue that “safely releasing detainees from immigration detention centres into their communities is the most effective way to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in these settings. Failure to do so will result in infection and death from a novel communicable disease and deepen inequities for a population group that already experiences many structural and systemic threats to health and well-being.”

A separate report published by the advocacy group Detention Watch Network argued that counties with ICE detention centres were more likely to report COVID-19 cases earlier in the pandemic and more likely to have a serious outbreak. The group contends that the US detention system’s ineffective efforts to control the virus helped lead to an additional 245,000 cases across the United States by 1 August 2020. In one case from May 2020, officials in Pearsall said that every local case of COVID-19 could be traced back to ICE’s South Texas processing centre, operated by GEO Group, and that the company had failed to properly keep the community informed of developing cases.

Since we are reworking our immigration process,isn't now the time to designate facilities specifically for COVID positive immigrants?

Surely the cost of releasing Covid positive people who have no established residence or place to self-isolate doesn't outweigh the cost of introducing more Covid into our population.
    I am by no way a ICE (or whatever it is) expert...

By reading what you provided...

The two underlined parts above say that: it is better to release them because it leads to less spread.
    Why? My guess is that the detention centers are very crowded and thus spreading the disease is near guaranteed.

Should we provide isolation areas for infected detainees?
    Seems like that is logical.
    Why is it not done now or previously?
    Could be political or legal. I don't know.
    I have my guesses but will leave them out because it is politically charged.

If I misread your post then feel free to correct me.
    Last edited by The Deadlifting Dog; 03-03-2021 at 10:39 AM.
    almostgone likes this.

Hughinn is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post

The two underlined parts above say that: it is better to release them because it leads to less spread.
    Why? My guess is that the detention centers are very crowded and thus spreading the disease is near guaranteed.

Speaking of a particular center in McAllen Texas, where I personally know border security people, and this may not be typical of everywhere, but under the trump administration the policy was to deport the majority of illegal border crossers. Not hold and process/release them into the United States.

It seems like the policy changed, with no forethought of how it would be implemented effectively, much less safely during a global pandemic.

I don't understand why either.
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post

No you read it exactly as I intended for it to be understood, DD. At this point, i's not a left/right issue in my eyes, it's a potential American powderkeg waiting to go off and needs to be addressed.

Introducing COVID or failing to provide a safe isolation area (like some international travelers encounter) is kind of like a sympathetic detonation. It only takes a little to set off the whole chain.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...rthal-thinking

The Biden administration's border patrol has released more than 100 illegal immigrants into Texas since late January that have tested positive for the coronavirus following their arrival, officials in a city on the U.S.-Mexico border tell Fox News.

This happened in McAllen Texas too

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    No you read it exactly as I intended for it to be understood, DD. At this point, i's not a left/right issue in my eyes, it's a potential American powderkeg waiting to go off and needs to be addressed.

Introducing COVID or failing to provide a safe isolation area (like some international travelers encounter) is kind of like a sympathetic detonation. It only takes a little to set off the whole chain.
    2-week quarantine and automatic J&J vaccine (only one shot needed) inoculation would seem reasonable.
    *Admin* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    2-week quarantine and automatic J&J vaccine (only one shot needed) inoculation would seem reasonable.
    I agree, tarmyg. It doesn't seem unreasonable at all and it seems logical to me. Definitely better than feeding more virus cases into a tough situation.

I agree, tarmyg. It doesn't seem unreasonable at all and it seems logical to me. Definitely better than feeding more virus cases into a tough situation.
    The only thing is, American citizens are not offered free and open vaccinations to the general public yet

So how could giving it to illegal border crosses be justified.

This whole thing at this time is just plain bad policy. And that's not a right vs left statement.

I feel that while you have them at the border crossing, go ahead and vaccinate them. Once they get into the general US population, good luck tracking them down.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    agree AG. there is no perfect system so we must work within the system we have. Tracking them down or getting them to come out and get the vaccine after release is not going to happen. Vaccinate why we have them at border.

fuck any politics
    almostgone likes this.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...child-migrants

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hou...s-border-surge

The administration has finally been forced to admit there's a problem. And has decided the solution to illegal immigration, is to encourage illegal broder crossing, incentivise it, then facilitate the process of illegally entering the United States.

Most american citizens want secure borders and comprehensive immigration controls. Not just a free for all.

Especially during the covid-19 pandemic.

The puzzling thing is, that despite the larger majority of Americans from all sides supporting a secure border and comprehensive immigration reform, we're essentially no closer today than were were 13 years ago, when the obama administration and the dnc promised secure borders and immigration reform to get elected in 2008. They lied.

And of course Republicans George Bush Jr and speaker Paul Ryan, both establishment politicians said the same thing in the earlier 2000s and they lied as well.

It really brings a logically thinking man to the only real explanation: the ruling establishment has done nothing to fix illegal immigration, because they don't want to.

For a brief time, the illegal tide was halted, or at least drastically slowed, but now that the "orange menace" has been removed, at least temporarily, business at the border is back to the usual. This most certainly is by design.

American citizens sentiments be damned.
    Last edited by Hughinn; 03-05-2021 at 11:15 AM.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If we put all the illegal aliens in covid lockdown, there'll be no one to replace all the demoncrat voters who get killed by police.

The thing that's the most puzzling to me, is that my friend, and she's a paramedic by trade, has been released from border control volunteer assistance because the new administration has ordered background checks on all border volunteer workers.

But yet, there is no background checks on anybody caught illegally crossing the border.

How confusing is that?

She's in her late 30s. Is part hispanic, and bilingual (also hot as a firecracker and has been since her teens lol) Has been volunteering for years in McAllen Texas. But now she has to have an FBI background check.

When nobody crossing the border gets their background checked?

What the Fuck is this administration doing?

Thread Information