Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

This is pretty groundbreaking

http://www.spacedaily.com/2006/06081....o75rc9cv.html

nasa might hire private companies to run supply missions to the international space station after the shuttle fleet is retired.

That would be the first time any private company puts something in orbit with there own launch capability. If they pull that then finaly space will be taken out of the hands of goverment and into the hands of capitalism
    Exactly what we need in this stagnated time of space exploration.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would love to be alive when we are finally living in space so to speak. People living on the moon or Mars or one of Saturns/Jupitors moons. Just imagine that?

Damn, it really annoys me when you look at how much money is spent on petty wars when we should be shooting for the stars instead've at each other.

Johan you look to be one of the smartest people on here.

Do you think in our life time we'll see something as groundbreaking as terraforming on other celestial bodies?

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg
    Damn, it really annoys me when you look at how much money is spent on petty wars when we should be shooting for the stars instead've at each other.
    I second that. The cost of the Iraq war alone is like 66 times the yearly nasa budget and almost 10 times as expensive as the whole apollo program was.

If only one tenth of the worlds arms spending was spent on space instead we would be on mars easily. But who cares about ensuring the survival of the human race when its much more fun to spend cash on killing eachother

Maby someday nasa, russia, china and esa will be able to cooperate bigtime. Such a waste of cash when all these organisations do there own thing repeating eachothers achivements. National pride isnt always a good thing.

Lets hope privat space investments will quickly outgrow national investments. Atleast before we are dead
    I want to take a moon vacation before its time for me to lie down in the coffin.

Johan you look to be one of the smartest people on here.

Do you think in our life time we'll see something as groundbreaking as terraforming on other celestial bodies?
    Thanks bro. I think its overstretching it a bit though this board is filled with intelligent people. I just happen to be the biggest geek

I think terraforming is a couple of hundrad years into the future. It just such a huge project spanning hundreds of years. Since nations can not even agree on keeping down greenhouse gases and polution I dont think we will be able to cooperate in any big project for a long while

singern is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I think terraforming is a couple of hundrad years into the future. It just such a huge project spanning hundreds of years. Since nations can not even agree on keeping down greenhouse gases and polution I dont think we will be able to cooperate in any big project for a long while
    I agree, the people of our tiny planet need to come together as a people before we undertake something of this magnitude. No single nation can or should have dominance over a solar body like the moon or Mars. But as you said this is an undertaking of such a colossal scale. Chronologically even if we started now, it would be our great great grandchildren that would begin to enjoy the fruits.

You never know, in as little as a hundered years it could be possible. After all, if you told someone a hundered years ago we'd be walking on the moon and able to travel at speeds faster than bullets or sound, people naturally wouldn't believe you.

The human race I think are like clever children. Filled with so much potential but all too apt to temper tantrums.

You never know, in as little as a hundered years it could be possible. After all, if you told someone a hundered years ago we'd be walking on the moon and able to travel at speeds faster than bullets or sound, people naturally wouldn't believe you.

The human race I think are like clever children. Filled with so much potential but all too apt to temper tantrums.
    Technologically we are a planet of wondrous creatures, but our own inability to put aside petty differences is still too strong and curbs our ability to move forward at the pace needed for something of this scope.

I would be more than happy if a couple of nations could cooperate and just go to mars. Almost 40 years since we was on the moon and we still havent gone anywhere else and we cant even easily go back to the moon either. Pathetic.

The human urge to explore just for the sake of exploration seems to have been lost.

I would be more than happy if a couple of nations could cooperate and just go to mars. Almost 40 years since we was on the moon and we still havent gone anywhere else and we cant even easily go back to the moon either. Pathetic.

The human urge to explore just for the sake of exploration seems to have been lost.
    Amen to that, seems that true exploration has been replaced with accountants, and politicians.

Follow up story. Nasa is dishing out 500 million bucks to the company that can reach the ISS

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/NA...stler_999.html

Follow up story. Nasa is dishing out 500 million bucks to the company that can reach the ISS

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/NA...stler_999.html
    Ok then lets give it a shot

Quote Originally Posted by singern
    Ok then lets give it a shot
    must be exciting times for those fellows in those 2 selected companies. Maby I should become a engineer instead

must be exciting times for those fellows in those 2 selected companies. Maby I should become a engineer instead
    I say we build one ourselves in the back yard. I will be the handsome captain, and you the logical science officer.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    call me crazy but if im an uber billionaire i think id spent a ton of money buying engineers and scientists to create my own space craft.... i mean that would be the ultimate edition of cribs. "Yea tommy lee has a starbucks in his house i got me a working space ship, last week i went to the moon for brunch". now that is the most ballinist sh*t ever!!

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member
    I like the idea of the funding that capitalism will bring to space exploration, but I'm afraid the scientific motivation behind space exploration will be taken out of the equation when it does.

Either way, for the time being, it's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by singern
    I say we build one ourselves in the back yard. I will be the handsome captain, and you the logical science officer.
    captain kirk and mr spock in other words

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak101
    I like the idea of the funding that capitalism will bring to space exploration, but I'm afraid the scientific motivation behind space exploration will be taken out of the equation when it does.

Either way, for the time being, it's a good thing.
    To be honest human space travel offers no real advancements to science. Its mostly just a engineering challange. Thats why astrophyscisist in general are very opposed to human spaceflight. Since it drains money away from the science projects.

I support human space flight simply because I think its crucial we get off this rock and because its ****ing exciting. Doesnt matter to me if it cuts down on the science budget a bit. I wish both parts could be fully funded though and if the human space flight part is handled by privat companies than NASA can put all the money into science and everyone is happy

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    It would be nice to take the leash off but you also have to have tight regulations..many of our technological advances have come from NASA. You dont want advanced technology sold to the highest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    It would be nice to take the leash off but you also have to have tight regulations..many of our technological advances have come from NASA. You dont want advanced technology sold to the highest bidder.
    That and the question of the Financial drive that will motivate the corporate world to reach technologies and achievements far beyond that of NASA.

Wow that was too deep, I think I should get to the gym.

RA
    not bad for dumb muscle heads..

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    It's definately a stepping stone to increased space travel/exploration imo.

RA
    Quote Originally Posted by cfiler
    It's definately a stepping stone to increased space travel/exploration imo.

Im all for that..you would have thought we would already have some structures on the moon.

Since these companies are required to develop everything themself they wont/cant share any NASA secrets

Im all for that..you would have thought we would already have some structures on the moon.
    No kidding. Its going SO slow

Thread Information