Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Anabolic Steroids for Men Over 35: My Personal Experience

Ajax is offline Senior Member

Anabolic Steroids for Men Over 35: My Personal Experience

I was offline for a few days and had time to burn, so I whipped this out 'cuz I thought some new people that read this forum might be interested.

Anabolic Steroids for Men Over 35: My Personal Experience

I am writing this, not as an expert in steroids , pharmacology, medicine or medical science, but as an average person who has gone through the experience starting to use anabolic steroids at the age of 40. It is my experience and is based upon conclusions I have drawn from doing personal research.

I am writing this because I know there are other guys out there that are over 35 and have an interest in trying anabolic steroids for their own personal reasons and would appreciate hearing the experiences of others who have gone before them. If my experiences and conclusions interest you, continue on and do your own research and draw your own conclusions to see if anabolic steroids are right for you.

Reading this over, I realize it sounds a little self-centered. Well, I could go back and edit it and make it more objective (you know, numbers, stats, the boring facts), but that would make it kind of dry and take away the subjective experience that was, to me, such a crucial part of the experience. So, at the risk of sounding egotistical, I will give it to you, unadulterated, in all its gory detail...

A little background on me:

I would say that I am a pretty average Joe, in most respects. When I was younger I lifted weights to get in shape. I was not very consistent in keeping up the discipline: I would lift, get in shape and then circumstances (work, relationships, or just plain lack of discipline) would catch up with me and I would quit and fall back out of shape.

I have always been on the fat side; the only six-pack I have ever seen was sitting on a shelf in my refrigerator. Since high school I have fought to stay slim, sometimes with good success, other time, I completely surrendered and blew up like a balloon. Along with lifting weights I did a lot of bike riding and inline skating and played some beach volleyball in the summer and racquetball from time-to-time.

So, to sum it up, physically I am unremarkable. I have never been a super-athlete nor a complete fat-ass couch potato, just one of the masses that sits somewhere between the two extremes.

How I wound up trying anabolic steroids:

In my late teens and twenties, I got into bodybuilding to lose weight and improve my appearance. I never had ambitions to go competitive; I just wanted “to be better.” I was never very muscular and never got very ripped, but I did mange to keep myself in pretty good shape most of that time and I learned a lot about the basics of weightlifting, bodybuilding and nutrition. I also learned a lot about how my body responded to diet and exercise. I looked at anabolic steroids, but never really gave it a second thought. I wasn’t that into getting “big.”

When I was in my thirties, after a divorce, I started to exercise again. Same goals: lose the fat, gain some muscle and look “better.” I improved myself, but like most guys, I noticed that it got harder every year to stay fit. If I slid a bit over the winter, the fight to get back in shape got harder every year I got older.

After 35, I really started to slide. I was deep into my career, I had my own business, I was working long hours and I had no time to exercise. My gut grew larger and my strength and endurance waned. My back problems (from a mountain bike accident in my late 20’s) grew increasingly worse and the bad knees that plague my family started to affect me. I felt like an old man climbing stairs, my knees ached I was winded quickly.

When I did try to work out and get back in shape, it seemed there was a “hump” that I was just not able to get over. I tried to start an exercise program many, many times, but my body was too sluggish and achy, I had no endurance, I was winded too fast. Even if I stuck to it for a while, the gains in muscle and the loss of fat were unimpressive; there was little to motivate me to keep exercising when there were no visible gains and it was just pain and frustration every time I went to the gym.

I tried dieting alone to lose weight, but without doing any aerobic exercise, the diets weren’t that effective. I could lose a few pounds, but the weight I lost--and more--soon came back.

I started to see that the condition I was in as an inevitable byproduct of age and I started to accept that I would be fat and unfit for the rest of my life--and that life might not be that long because I of the shape I was in.

Then, by chance I saw a box of Testoviron Depot (testosterone enathate) sitting on the shelf of a local pharmacist. (I was living in a country where steroids are legal over-the-counter). Testosterone? Hmmm. I had researched steroids before, but had never done any and the name rung a bell. When I got home I got on the Internet and started to do some research.

On the Internet I found out that indeed, testosterone was an anabolic steroid . I started to do more research on steroids and testosterone replacement therapy in men. I felt like I was on to something. This might not be the fountain of youth, but what if it was the key to get me over the hump and back into shape? Having that key would certainly be valuable.

One concern I had: I was overweight. I was 6’3” and 245 lbs. and probably over 30% body fat (a Taiyo BF scale gave me a reading of 40% shortly before I started working out--but I think that was a bit high). I wondered: should I lose some fat first? Well, I have always had a problem keeping my weight under 220 lbs. I thought, if I could add muscle, and increased my lean body mass, it might make it easier to lose weight. Also, if I could get my lean body mass up high enough, I could look good at 220, perhaps even 240 lbs. and not have to fight to keep my body under the weight that my body seemed to be determined to keep itself at. So I decided to add lean body mass (muscle) first, then work on losing the fat. That, it seemed (to me at least) was a more workable plan.

After doing a couple months of research, I took a leap and decided to try anabolic steroids. Nothing big, just a moderate cycle of Testoviron Depot and Deca , with some Dianabol and Winny thrown in for good measure. I had started lifting weights a few months earlier and I had been making some progress, but like I stated before, the progress was slow. My strength was going up very slowly, but I was still far shy of my maximum strength when I was in my 20’s and there was little noticeable muscle growth to the eye.

Once the steroids kicked in though, things changed--and changed fast!

What happened when I finally tried anabolic steroids:

About three weeks into my first cycle I went to a new gym--one that had weights measured in kilograms, not pounds. I calculated the proper weight in kilograms and set up for my bench press. I planned on doing a set of three reps near my maximum weight. When I started lifting, the weights went up too easily; I did a set of twelve reps and racked the weights and tried to figure out how I could screw up something as simple as multiplying by 2.2! Well, it turns out, I hadn’t--the steroids had kicked in!

During my first cycle I was astounded at how fast my strength and size increased. Each trip to the gym was a new record weight for almost every exercise. I started to see muscles growing almost daily. After six weeks I almost started to get scared at the amount of muscle I was putting on--it all seemed unreal! Bulges started to appear on the outside of my quads and a nice inverted “V” appeared above my knee. My delts started to spring up where they used to be--but bigger. My chest and lats filled out and my pear shape started to invert back into its former “V” shape. It was almost like looking at another body in the mirror, a body that I thought I would never have again, but there it was, right in front of me, and it was mine! And it wasn’t just me that noticed the difference: friends started commenting on how much better I looked and once again, I started to notice that I was getting looks from women. Damn that felt great!

If the only result I had looking and feeling better about myself, that would be OK, but the process I had started, encouraged me to do more.

Putting on muscle is still putting on weight. I started to notice that my aerobic capacity was limiting my workouts. Well, I liked the way things were going and I wasn’t about to let anything get in the way of more success, so I stopped smoking and got out the bike. In a mater of a few weeks, I was doing 1-2 hours of bike riding three or four days a week and on the weekends I was occasionally doing four to six hour rides.

My backaches went away. My knees stopped hurting. Strengthening my muscles relieved, if not eliminated, the pain in my back and my knees. I could exercise more and harder now and not worry so much about the pain and injury.

While I was on my steroid cycle I started to eat better. Why screw up a good workout with a pizza or fries? Post-cycle I was motivate to do more and I dieted and lost almost 30 pounds of fat in a few months, which made the muscle gains I made look all that much better, not to mention greatly reducing my risk of cardio-vascular disease.

So, a few months after I finished my first cycle, I was stronger than I ever was. I had bigger muscles than I ever had. My bad back was better. My bad knees stopped aching. I had lost 30 lbs of fat and I was doing aerobic exercise four or five days a week. I stopped smoking. I was eating better. I had reduced or eliminated many of the risk factors associated with cardio-vascular disease and lung cancer. And I felt great.

Conclusions:

It’s hard for me to believe I made a bad choice!

Now I am not feeling like a twenty five year old, that’s impossible. But I am feeling like I am in better shape than I was at twenty five and certainly I feel and look better than most of the guys I see around me that are my age. That really feels great!

So what I learned is that turning forty years and being in poor physical shape is not the end of the line. There is hope! With a little help from the pharmacist, I quite literally changed the person that I am. I still feel there is a lot of room for improvement, but now I feel like there is hope for me to achieve those goals. I will probably still never see a six-pack anywhere but in my refrigerator, but I believe that I have started a process that will keep me far healthier as I grow older.

I am on my second bulking cycle now. I figure after this cycle, I will have the size and strength I want. I might do a few more cycles to help me lose weight and gain definition, but I don’t see myself doing massive amounts of steroids regularly. I value my re-found health.

I do see anabolic steroids as a useful too for older guys to get over their humps, get back on track and get in shape. Used intelligently and in moderation, anabolic steroids, in my opinion, are an option for men over 35. It’s not a wonder drug, but it’s a useful tool to accelerate the process of getting in shape.

Could I have accomplished all this without steroids? Perhaps. If I worked hard for three to five years, I could be where I am at after six months--if I could have gotten over the hump through sheer willpower alone. But that’s a big “if.” Something tells me that no amount of willpower alone could have gotten me over it.

A closing note:

I took anabolic steroids on my own and not under the supervision of a doctor. That is probably unwise, but I don’t know if I could find a doctor in the country where I live that has the knowledge I would require to do what I wanted to do. But in the USA there seems to be plenty of doctors willing and competent to do hormone replacement therapy (HRT), which could have similar (though probably less dramatic) results. For anybody that is interested in pursuing HRT, I think it is a viable and potentially safer option. Knowing what I know now, if I lived in the US and I was considering using anabolic steroids, I certainly would have at least looked into HRT as a viable option.

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    BRILLIANT POST!!

You dont know how close I was to useing an expletive to tell you how much I enjoyed that!

Im sure there are many guys in our age bracket who are pondering the use of AS and I think this post will help them to realise that, if done sensibly and with proper research, AS can be a great boon to an older guy. (Even without the consultation of a doctor)

This should be a sticky post in this forum.
    j3374 and Bcwelder like this.

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Ajax,

As the 46 year old that I am!

You hit the nail on the head bro!

Good Post! MJ

TheStromba is offline Associate Member
    Wow Ajax !

Great post - It is VERY similar to my own story, but I could have not written it nearly as well.

Autgrfan98 is offline New Member
    Great Post... You have been a good source of info for Me.. Just an FYI... I started HRT about a month ago with the GEL.,,,, Test levels were 238 and 178 two weeks apart. MRI done on the Pit gland, came back normal. Androgel 5g, once daily.
    Nothing yet... I still feel like hell in the morning.... I go back in a month , gonna suggest to the DOC to start the shots,, or at the least up the GEL to 10g. If anyone is thinking about going to thier DR for HRT>. Read up and study before you go... Most docs do not know enough about HRT to help at first. I have been some what Lucky as TNT pointed me to a study that was done, so I took it with me to the DOC, and he acutally asked if he could have a copy of it..

Just some stats for the Brothers..

Just turned 30 in March
    5'11
    236-240, down from 255 in Jan.
    Cardio 4 times week
    diet stays clean, and lifting 3 days week, only basic movements.

No Cycles done.

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Ajax,

another great post, you have inspired me to press on, in my quest for a better and healthier body. Same type of story with me wieght wise.

Thanks
    JohnnyB

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Hey, excellent post! Big thanks from me too for taking the time to put in online.

tie
    tie is offline Junior Member
    Excellent post - very informative. Thanks Ajax!

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    ajax,
    great post brother. i appreciate you taking the time to write all this out, and i think it will definitely help one of newer bros that hop on here from time to time looking for just what you wrote. hell, it helped me bro..................

peace bb79

slackerdude is offline New Member

just what one likes to hear

Thanks, Ajax, its great to hear from someone else who shares similar experiences in trying to 'renew' their bodies and lifestyle. your success is inspiration. later

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the positive feedback gentlemen!

Autgrfan98: Right on!

I have heard a lot of guys complain that when they talk to their doctors about HRT, even if they had done minimal research and knew next to nothing on the topic, the doctors often seem to know less!

One thing I learned when dealing with doctors is to DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH so when the doctor recommends something, you have a good idea if it is the right solution for YOU. Some doctors really seem to resent people who question them (find a new doctor!), others will listen and if you present a good case, they will accomodate you.
    bamamike likes this.

righton is offline Senior Member
    Great post......and i'm lucky to have a doc who specializes in HRT and Anti-aging medicine. Now, if the rest of the mainstream medical community could just open their narrow minds (remember, they found out after a 100 years that Aspirin is more than a pain reliever) there would be a lot more healthier people enjoying alot more of life alot longer!!

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member
    Great post Ajax. Really motivating and informative. Enjoyed it very much. Thanks for taking the time.

WODIN is offline New Member
    I've been reading AR for about two weeks now, and I am amazed. That's just one wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it.

Ironweb is offline Member

Bravo

Excellent post bro. That is one of the best post I have read to date.

DiMensionX is offline Member
    Another great post, great write up Ajax!

DMX

dyno45 is offline Junior Member
    Nice job Ajax!!! I personally had about the same experience. The only difference was I was the "skinny" guy. 50 added lbs. later, now I'm lean. Very well spoken. It's great to have inspiration like your story once in a while. Keeps us other guys motivated.

Bell Tower is offline Junior Member
    Wow! I must say, I wish I could read something like that daily!

Thanks.

Fat4Now is offline Junior Member
    Very well written Ajax. Your presence and influence on the AR boards is always helpful and informative. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

BE_STRONG is offline Senior Member
    nice post ajax!!

lil'man is offline New Member
    Great job Ajax--------this is the inspiration this 53 year old needs.

DOUGTM1SS is offline Associate Member
    GREAT ARTICLE!!!!!!!
    HAVING JUST TURNED FORTY IT'S GOOD TO HEAR THAT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THAT WAY. I'VE TRAINED AND COMPETED NATURALLY ALL MY LIFE AND HAVE GONE TO DRUG TESTED AND RANDOM TESTED SHOWS, BIG AND SMALL SINCE 89, NOW THAT I'M SEEING STICKING POINTS AND WANT TO COMPETE AT THE NEXT LEVEL WITH THE BIG BOYS DOWN SOUTH. CURRENTLY I'M PRETTY STRONG 415 BENCH, 565 SQUAT, 150 BARBELL CURLS. NOW THAT I'LL BE STARTING MY FIRST EVER CYCLE I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW MUCH I'LL IMPROVE AFTER STARTING AT ONLY 188 LBS BODYWEIGHT

hammerhead is offline Member
    LOVE THIS POST!!!

I'm 36 and starting my 2nd cycle (it's mid-June 2002). When I was about 32 I started to hit a wall in the gym. I couldn't get bigger or stronger. I was okay with that - I lifted in the "keep what I have" mode for years. But now i'm not only unable to get bigger i;m also unable to "keep what I got." It's VERY frustrating to be eating a very very strict diet and working out on a perfect regimine and still not getting any bigger except around the mid-section!!!! Juice has given me a new chance to gain again! I feel like i'm 16 when i'm on it and I LOVE IT. I'm patient and wise enough to keep my juice use to a moderate level and stay on top of my health (regular blood tests and wathcing the blood pressure i don't drink alcohol at all ....) I find it hard to believe that this stuff is hurting my body because I feel so much healthier and stronger since i've been juicing.

The juice especially helps me now that i'm older. The difference between being on and being off cycle is so dramatic at this age!!!

Long-term I plan on doing an occasional equipoise /primobolan /winstrol cycle to "keep what I have". And I will this time!

ironmaster is offline Associate Member
    See my reply to the post on this page about who is the oldest on this board......I think I make my feeling clear on this.

feelnfit is offline Junior Member
    great post ajax!

DarTanBFT is offline New Member
    Ajax,
    Your post is indepth self-reporting that will be valuable to many. At 56, I want you to know my experience is not unsimilar. I think the older one is the more need there is for AS. Testosterone has no age, but its natural dimmunition means a man's body needs it in another way. With the right dosing, AS means healthier living. Bottom line: good health for men, even with the benefits of AS comes from diet, educated weight-training, cardio, some BFT-attitude and commitment.

Dartan

Kingpin is offline New Member
    At 33 and thinking about a second cycle you are an inspiration!!!

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Good post bro. A very injoyable read.
    IC

overhere is offline New Member
    This was a very nice post. Good job.

WildOne is offline Junior Member
    Just became a member of the website today.....as a 35yr old man looking to do his first cycle in 12yrs, your posting was a GREAT find! I have been a 'business man' for yrs and your story sounded waaay too familiar! Our bodytypes are opposite but the moral to the story is the same! Thanks for the reinforcement.

10wheeler is offline Associate Member
    nice educating post ajax

Lynn is offline Female Member
    Great post.. if only the dr. would clue into this!!! I to am 46 did my fist cycle at 45... I look like i'm 35 and hit on by women 28... all the time..God i love gear!! I was always in good shape from teaching martial arts all my life..but not muscular, just thin. I thought I would never be able to put on the muscle i wanted.... like you said the first cycle was incredible! Added 20 lbs of solid muscle and to someone that is only 5'5, that is alot !

Rocket is offline Senior Member
    Great Post and info...Thank you!

Rocket 44 and still going strong!

Willys is offline New Member
    Great post Ajax-I wish I had seen it sooner!! I am 46 and waiting for my 1st cycle to come now. I was a drug addict and started lifting 12-13 yrs. ago as a "replacement" so to speak. After I hit 40 pains seemed to get worse. Shoulders, knees, elbows, hands-everything started to ache and recovery seemed to take longer. If I have heavy workouts with forced reps-its actually hard to work the next day! I USED TO LOVE THAT FEELING! But no more! I'm doing the deca ,test dbol cycle and looking forward to pain reduction with deca. Haven't started yet but will keep progress posted. This is a good section for our ages. My training and diet are good and educated.I'm 6'2" 218lbs. now. Don't know the bodyfat but I have a slight spare tire and a lttle fat in lat and chest area.Keep the posts coming you Buff Older Boys and keep up the good work.

MUSCLEMEDIC is offline New Member
    Outstanding post Ajax. I'm 34 now have had my ups and downs in life and the gym. Just getting back into the gym now after a two month layoff ( new house, new baby, etc) Seem to lack the motivation I used to back in the days, so I'm starting a cycle in a couple of weeks, to get me motivated, and to pick up what i've lost. Good luck man and again thanks for a great post....

New GearGuy is offline Associate Member
    excellent post Ajax!!! I am 32 considering my 2nd cycle ,I had the same probaloems w/ discipline ,work etc.. and the only way I could rally push myself was to try a cycle and "justify" my expense. Way to go bro!

dave1031 is offline New Member
    Wow, your story is almost identical to mine. Only difference is I am 33. But my first experience w/ AS made an indescribable impact on self confidence and personal fitness.

uroboros is offline New Member
    wow....i'm 43 & if i had any doubts about what i might get from AS's i dont now...thx for sharing ur experience brother

bajamark is offline New Member

Cool GREAT POST

I am new here and even though at 42 I have 24 years of AAS experience I am always looking to learn more.
    The only thing that I would add is that you try to make friends with your Doctor. Post cycle blood tests are a MUST. You would be suprised by how many YOUNG Doctors are wanting to gain some knowledge in this area.

oldmanliftr is offline New Member

Talking

I am thinking about an oral cycle (dbol ). what other orals should be used, if any?
    NOTE: First cycle novice. No needles!
    Last edited by oldmanliftr; 01-09-2003 at 11:17 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information