Thread: Newb but old

zygleth is offline Junior Member

Newb but old

Hey guys- I posted this in the new member section but thought I'd throw it here as well as I'm well above 40......
    I'm new here as well, very informative site. I'm 51 - 6'2" and around 275. I was a heavy lifter for about 10 years and then quit for about the last 5. I am now back into training for the last 4 months and the one thing I can't get over is so many nagging injuries. I canot go to the gym and lift wimpy weights so I giver if I feel ok. I know it's the age but if any of you guys have a few secrets besides a strong dose of ice and ibuprophen let me know!
    Currently I am clean as well......thanks

2bshredded is offline Member
    Welcome....I'm 48, the dr. told me to start doing like 80/20 cardio over weights.....I laughed but he has a good point.
    It's what they say once you hit 40 shit starts going downhill, it did for me at 44-45. Let your body to the talking and listen to it when it starts to yell....LOL

I went in 3 weeks ago had an MRI on my shoulder.....long story short, saw the Orth surgeon....injected me and I'm fine.

Good luck......don't know how you carry your weight but 275 is a few lbs, I'm 6'3'' 230 with roughly 10% bf.

Wavelover is offline Junior Member
    I had shoulder injury due to golfing when I was 40. Then I stop play golf but still play football and jogging. When I was 50 I begin to workout with weight like bodybuilders. Fortunately my injury disappear since I have practicing weightlift and my body looks bigger.Now I'm 58 y.o.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelover View Post
    I had shoulder injury due to golfing when I was 40. Then I stop play golf but still play football and jogging. When I was 50 I begin to workout with weight like bodybuilders. Fortunately my injury disappear since I have practicing weightlift and my body looks bigger.Now I'm 58 y.o.

So are you are saying you're using high weights.......wow, if that's the case thats pretty amazing.
    I keep my bench weight to under 250, I go over that and I start to see problems.
    How long have you been doing this?

2B-I hear you on the after 40 syndrom. I was still pretty injury free and lifting heavy until I quit around 45. Now I am back lifting and really off about 15% in strength but my body is fighting it. I was down to 245 b4 I started and could get back down to that again with diet/cardio. We'll see if I want to keep fighting or give in to the inevitable.
    As far as holding my weight- I have about a 40" waist now at 6'2", large bone structure so I don't look horrible unless I take my shirt off.......
    I also know that juice will hold my joints together for several more years.

inky-e is offline AR's ORIGINAL ANABOLIC OUTLAW~ [RIP-8/20/11]
    whats up guys,well i'm 44,i used to weigh 330lbs at 5ft 11,long story short i'm 200lbs now,been lifting for a year progressively heavier weights.turns out i hurt my shoulder recently while doing reverse incline bench,mri said something to do with rotator and a small tear.orthopod said maybe operate if it gets worse.i found that the solution for me is not to do reverse incline,duh!i sometimes forget my age and try to keep up with the young guns in the gym,not a good idea.i don't know about anybody else but i put my body through the ringer over the years with all kinds of abuse,i;m coming to terms with the fact that my hey days are gone,even though right now i'm probably in the best shape of my life,my bf is low not sure what it is exactly,12 or less,anyway at least i can still lift more than some of the young guys just not all of them.btw i juice a lil bit.

Hey Bro,
    I serioulsy don't even want to compete w the young guys.....a guy could hurt himself......LOL
    My chest routine is this:
    Sets Reps Weight Position
    4 8-10 65%-85% progessively Flat Bench
    4 6-8 85% Dumbell Press
    4 8-10 80% Decline Bench
    4 10-12 75% Incline Bench

4 Skulls
    4 Press downs

Numbers are approx. depending how I feel, this maybe right or wronf but it works for me.
    When I'm on cycle I go to 5 sets......I know a lot of guys will say way too much but I just use my body as a guide.

Hmmmm can't figure out how to add a pic......Help!!!!!

Man.....sometimes I scare myself

I was on the wrong page or something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newb but old-fmc-095.jpg   Newb but old-fmc-087.jpg  

2B- You got alot more guts than I do posting pics. You look to be in pretty good shape with some good mass. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by zygleth View Post
    2B- You got alot more guts than I do posting pics. You look to be in pretty good shape with some good mass. Keep up the good work!

LOL......What are ya thinking DNA through avatars! I sure as hell wouldn't post a pic of my mug.

***xxx*** is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bshredded View Post
    I was on the wrong page or something.
    great job - but never 10% -I d say 15-17%.

Quote Originally Posted by ***xxx*** View Post
    great job - but never 10% -I d say 15-17%.

Wishful thinking I suppose.....LOL

Wavelover is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bshredded View Post
    So are you are saying you're using high weights.......wow, if that's the case thats pretty amazing.
    I keep my bench weight to under 250, I go over that and I start to see problems.
    How long have you been doing this?
    Been doing for about 5 years now.

OnT
    OnT is offline Associate Member
    47 here and no problems lift like an animal everyday. T helps in recovery...

It's been a week or so and glad to see this thread continuing. I love to lift like an animal and still do so when my tendons agree. Yes T would help, just can't find some in my neck of the woods......
    I don't know if it's ok to say that here or not?

SecretStory is offline Female Member
    I'm a woman (50) but have the same issues managing injuries. I lift as heavy as I can, and rarely injure myself lifting, but do with other sports activities. Brittle tendons seem to be the problem - I can pull a hamstring with anything remotely resembling an explosive movement. Are there any supplements that are supposed to help with this? I stretch my legs regularly, but I'm still really suseptable. Know of anything?

Hmmm.....good question! Not sure about supplments, maybe if you hit up the Sup. section someone may know.
    I know the older I get the less I can do...My regime consists of 80% lifting and 20% cardio. My Dr. told me it should be the other way around.....LOL

Really I would have to say much more stretching, I know there are some good books out there....I would try that before I wasting any money on supps. I'm currently taking ***** 3 fish oil.....heard it works, too early to feel any differnce.

SecretStory is offline Female Member
    I think your doc is totally wrong about the lifting/cardio ratio. The cardio just breaks your body down and makes it that much harder to keep on muscle when you get older. I recently switched my whole workout program around to about 1/3 as much cardio and have dropped fat and feel about 100% better.

You're probably right about the stretching....rather die than turn into one of those yoga chix - does not jive with my macho persona! :-) I do the fish oil thing too, but haven't noticed that its made much difference. I'll increase the stretching and see if that helps.

Yea my Doc. is off I know that, but it does make sense to cut back on th weight which i won't do but....whatever.
    Good luck with it all

KCARABIANS is offline New Member

Thumbs up Lifting Over Fifty

Wow!!!!
    I'm 51, 6'1", And 265lbs.
    Definitely Overweight For Me. Too Much Bf.
    I Started Lifting Again, A Week Ago, After Stopping In Oct. '03.

Been On Clen For 3 Weeks, But Not Getting The Results I Wanted. Probably Not A Large Enough Dose.(20mg A Day)

I Plan To Start A Cycle In About Another Week. Dbol And Deca .
    I Also Have Pct Nolva.

Hearing You Guys , In My Age Group, Really Helps Me, As I Still Think Like A 30yo.

I T5oo, Lifted For Many Years And Still Hope For The Gains I Once Had.
    I Wiill Definitely Stay In Touch, Here, As I Will Need The Encouragement.

KCARABIANS is offline New Member
    Secret Story, Do You Use Glucosamine? Great For Joints

KC- it's good to know there's someone else out there like me. Here's an update for any one who cares to read:
    - Body weight went from 245 to 280 since I started lifting again.
    -As my lifts increased so has my tendancy for joint irritation. Hips still hurt but not as much. Pulled a tendon or something in my shoulder. It;s not torn and is starting to feel a bit better. I will actually try to light bench this week. Fighting tennis elbow in right arm that prevents straight bar curls, once my mainstay for bi work.
    - I still like to lift like an animal but have to be very careful how i go about things- lots of warm ups and avoidance of those lifts that just plain hurt.
    -felt pretty good yesterday, did 225# front squats after leg presses and I can even walk today. That was after a 2 week layoff from legs however.

Went to my doc to get bloodwork done as I am after HRT.
    Cheers

Oh yea I do take GL with my protien after a wookout but not an everyday thing. Thanks

Madeira Jon is offline New Member
    Hi Guys, another newbie, but from UK. I'm 70 and returned to bb'ing after years of ruining my body with all sorts of rubbish (ex-military...GRIN). Got down from 256 to 200 pounds last year and been doing weights since November. I use Glucosamine daily as well as creatine plus beta-alanine for muscle replenishment which I take before and after WOs. Also have 50grams of protein drinks three time a day.
    I popped a foto on this forum somewhere! Good to knwo that there are also other guys who have passed 40! Not so many in UK who still bb.
    About to start an Anavar cycle to help the body re-build.
    Last edited by Madeira Jon; 05-26-2008 at 05:19 AM.

Thread Information