Thread: Is it possible

trikydik is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Is it possible

Is it possible to gain significantly in size but not significantly in strength?

Caribeman is offline New Member
    Depends, are you taking anything (Test, etc. ) if so, how's your estrogen? Size as in muscle size or fat?

Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    I think it is probably possible because the bigger someone is doesnt always mean they are stronger. I have seen some pretty thin dudes that can throw up some serious weight, and I have seen some pretty big dudes who cant lift as much as you would think they could by looking at them.

Blog Entries
    My arms are definitely getting bigger... wife noticed it... but I do not seem to be lifting any more than what I have been.
    Only thing I am taking is test @150 per week for TRT.... E2 is high but working on that

Caribeman is offline New Member
    I've known of people with high e2 that get a bit bloated. Also 'cause their total test was well over 1100 so...

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm experiencing something a little unusual for me right now.

I've been struggling with my health this past year, and my health seems to finally be returning to me. I'm down 50 pounds, or at least I was a couple of months ago.

I started this new project in Afghanistan, and no one here really knows me from before, when I weighed in at around 250.

So on two occasions, I was yapping how skinny I was (a comparative statement) and how much weight I've lost.

Two weeks ago, I started back in the gym. Personally, I've never anticipated being this thin for this long. I'm making some decent gains, or I should say, "I've recovered some of what I've lost". (and someone noticed it. they didn't question it, yet)

My point is, I'm noticeably a little bigger in a very short amount of time. But the strength gains seem to be lagging.

So in this particular case, I've gained more size than I have strength.

Not a very good example, but it does illustrate the point...

...You can get bigger without a noticeable increase in strength

DontTaseMeBro is offline Member
    Over the long term, I think that if you plan and train for progressive gains, you will gain both size and strength. Now, there are a lot of variables. If you're doing more stuff in the 4-6 rep range and / or eating at or below TDEE, you will probably see more strength; whereas, if you eat above TDEE and train more in the 7-10 range, you will likely see more size. Everyone's body responds differently to different types of training; and in the short term its quite normal to see a greater increase in one as opposed to the other.

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    7-10 rep range builds more size? Never really knew that. I always tried to keep everything in the 4-6 range to get strength gains and the size just kind of followed, not bodybuilder size but size none the less.

Blog Entries
    i keep reading all the different types of weight training.... 5x5, 30,20,10 reverse pyramids.... each promising massive gains....

John Andrew is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trikydik View Post
    i keep reading all the different types of weight training.... 5x5, 30,20,10 reverse pyramids.... each promising massive gains....
    Every person who writes about a routine is just talking from their own experience and what they desire. There is no one simple correct answer.
    Our body responds to progressive resistance training in two ways. By getting stronger or by growing.

What do you want? Generally bodybuilders want bigger, power lifters want stronger. some do both. Generally more reps lighter weight promotes growth but when body builders talk lighter weights I have a mate who warm up for bench with 15 reps at 200kgs. He is massive and claims to just train for growth. Good bodybuilders use huge weights and are very strong.

I am not trying to be big, I enjoy strength, but after 34 years I know I must vary things all the time.

Your question is I think dependent on what you want, how do you wish to look?

I like my body, I would never want to count calories or have 20 inch arms. I would like to be strongest in the world for my age.

If you set goals then anything is possible, you are limited by your genetic potential only. That is only potential, Most people here do not want to really become the best in the world, they want to look and feel good. The harder you work, the greater the result! In 34 years only a few have trained with me, many have asked too, but they hurt and do not want the pain! I have trained with world record holders and Mr Universe's I have loved it and they have made me hurt more. I love the pain, I love to be pushed way past my limits. That's why I do not accept limits. When I am 60 I will set a new world record dead lift for my age. I want to. Is it possible? Maybe I die trying but its living my life on my terms.

Good luck.

John

trailboss is offline Junior Member
    Myself, over 30+ years of training, I have noticed that strength gains always precede size increases. Seems to me that once demands not previously encountered by a given muscle are imposed, the body's response is to do what it has to do to acclimate to the new demand. So...it forces an increase in strength at whatever size those fibers happen to be and when that particular size reaches a certain, predetermined strength limit, an increase in actual size of the fibers is stimulated. I have never noticed a size increase *before* a strength increase...But: I suppose it is possible? That an individuals muscle *size* may increase without (or before) a strength increase? I think that is what the OP is asking....so there is my answer.....

Thread Information