Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    thanks XXX, i will definitley take your advice. I think this will finally give me the routine to get huge like i have always wanted. I will need to find some ways to get arms and shoulder wokrouts in there though.

PorkChop is offline New Member
    Thanks for the site, i will definitly give a read. Your right too much to explain here. I actually went there last night and just read the ask Dave questions. Very good area there, but noticed someone here said that they did 8 sets of 3 for squats with 80% of there max. That isnt correct is it? It seems like when i hear something out of the normal it throws off what i though i knew. You know what i mean? I read it is 10 sets of 2 with a wave from 50 to 60% of ones max. See i will get the hang of this sooner or later. Thanks guys , this site is very helpful. Glad I found it.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Darkknight, your arms and shoulders will get plenty of work no need to do extra, if you feel that you must only do 2-3 sets for each any more and you'll overtrain.

Porkchop, as for your question you're right the sets for Dynamic day for squats should be 8-12 and the reps should be 2 the # of sets is based on your % of your 1 rep max. at 50% you could do 12 sets of doubles and to keep volume steady when you wave up to 70% you would cut it down to 8 sets of doubles. However Tapout isn't really wrong it's just a different type of workout. See the dynamic work is about bar speed with too little weight (under 50%) the bar moves too fast to generate force. With too much weight (over 70-80% depending on how advanced you are) the bar moves too slow to generate force. It's like trying to throw an object as far as you can a wiffle ball will only go maybe 40 feet it's too light, a heavy rock may only go 20 feet it's too heavy, but a hardball is perfect and will go the farthest. Now for dynamic bench day you would do 8 sets of 3 with around 60%. Thats the bare basics with the percentages.
    Now for the reps the reason you do 2's for squats and 3's for the bench is you're trying to mimic the "time under tension" say a max bench effort would take 3 seconds to complete 1 rep. The dynamic bench work you should be able to complete 3 reps in 3 seconds ( the time it takes to complete a max single) The same goes for the squat you should be able to complete a set of doubles in the amount of time it would take to complete a max single.

There's alot of info. on the subject I hope I explained it in a way you could understand but thats just the basics. Continue to read the articles on the site you'll pick it up.

Darkknight I know you're from NJ there's a westside seminar in NYC in july it may be something you might want to check out . I'll be there trying to learn as much as possible. If there is anything you guys need help with as far as westside goes feel free to PM me I'll answer anything I can.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by xxxl83
    Darkknight, your arms and shoulders will get plenty of work no need to do extra, if you feel that you must only do 2-3 sets for each any more and you'll overtrain.

Porkchop, as for your question you're right the sets for Dynamic day for squats should be 8-12 and the reps should be 2 the # of sets is based on your % of your 1 rep max. at 50% you could do 12 sets of doubles and to keep volume steady when you wave up to 70% you would cut it down to 8 sets of doubles. However Tapout isn't really wrong it's just a different type of workout. See the dynamic work is about bar speed with too little weight (under 50%) the bar moves too fast to generate force. With too much weight (over 70-80% depending on how advanced you are) the bar moves too slow to generate force. It's like trying to throw an object as far as you can a wiffle ball will only go maybe 40 feet it's too light, a heavy rock may only go 20 feet it's too heavy, but a hardball is perfect and will go the farthest. Now for dynamic bench day you would do 8 sets of 3 with around 60%. Thats the bare basics with the percentages.
    Now for the reps the reason you do 2's for squats and 3's for the bench is you're trying to mimic the "time under tension" say a max bench effort would take 3 seconds to complete 1 rep. The dynamic bench work you should be able to complete 3 reps in 3 seconds ( the time it takes to complete a max single) The same goes for the squat you should be able to complete a set of doubles in the amount of time it would take to complete a max single.

There's alot of info. on the subject I hope I explained it in a way you could understand but thats just the basics. Continue to read the articles on the site you'll pick it up.

Darkknight I know you're from NJ there's a westside seminar in NYC in july it may be something you might want to check out . I'll be there trying to learn as much as possible. If there is anything you guys need help with as far as westside goes feel free to PM me I'll answer anything I can.
    That was some excelent explaining
    It made me realise I use to little weight on my de squat day. I always though the speed was the most important thing so I have been doing speed squats with way less then my 50% of 1rm weight.

Like I said glad to be of some help.
    I know sometimes I may push Westside a bit too much but only because I've seen the results.

Hehe you dont need to tell me, after only 9 weeks of it I love it.
    hell if I continue with it I might even forget about bodybuilding and go for powerlifting instead whole time for a couple of years .
    Or maby try a modified version of this westside bb routine(the 2 workouts a day I think would seriously overtrain a natural bber, but I dont intend to stay natural for much longer)it looks interesting, I think mike francois(?) used it.

BodyBuilding: 4 Day Split

Day 1 AM:
    Lower Body Core Exercise: Work up to a 5 rep maximum of a Maximum Effort Movement
    Lower-Body Assistance: All Sets and Reps are Variable
    1. RDL
    2. Lunges
    3. Leg Extensions
    4. Lying Leg Curls
    5. Calf Raise
    Medicine Ball Ab Work

Day 1 PM:
    Back Work:
    1. Rotate Different forms of Row for a 5RM
    2. Lat Pull Downs: Variable Sets and Reps
    3. External Pulls: Variable Sets and Reps

Biceps: Variable Movements, Sets & Reps
    Reverse Hypers: 5x8 (If you do not have one of these, perform Pull-Thru’s)

Day 2 AM:
    Upper Body Core Exercise: Work up to a 5 rep maximum of a Maximum Effort Movement
    Chest Assistance: All Sets and Reps are Variable
    4. Dips
    5. Chain Push-ups
    Triceps: All Sets and Reps are Variable
    6. JM Press
    7. DB Tricep Extension
    Day 2 PM:
    Shoulder Work:
    1. Military Press: Up to a 5 RM
    2. Lateral Raise: Sets and Reps are Variable
    3. Clean Shrugs: Sets and Reps are Variable

Ab Work: Sets and Reps are Variable

Day 3AM:
    Dynamic Box Squats: 50% of 1RM for 8-12sets of 2 reps
    Superset: All Sets and Reps are Variable
    4. Glute Ham Raise
    5. Reverse Leg Extensions (Seated Hamstring Curls)
    Superset: All Sets and Reps are Variable
    6. Single Leg Squats
    7. Step-ups
    Calf Raise: 6-8 sets with variable reps
    Ab Work: All Sets and Reps are Variable

Day 3 PM:
    Back Work:
    8. Pull-ups: All Sets and Reps are Variable
    9. Cable Rows: All Sets and Reps are Variable
    10. Clean High Pulls: 4 sets of 5 reps

Biceps: Variable Movements, Sets & Reps
    Arched Back Good Mornings: 3x10

Day 4 AM:
    Dynamic Bench Press: 8-10 sets of 3 reps with 50% of your 1RM
    Chest Assistance: All Sets and Reps are Variable
    1. Superset: DB Incline Press with Pullovers
    2. Superset: Illegal Wide BP with Chest Flyes
    Triceps work: All Sets and Reps are Variable
    3. Close Grip BP
    4. Superset: Triceps Extensions with Pressdowns

Day 4 PM:
    Shoulder Work:
    1. Snatch Shrugs to a 1RM
    2. Front, Rear, Side Laterals for 3 sets of 15 Reps
    b. Ab Work: All Sets and Reps are Variable

I've got the same workout from a force training book by Louie Simmons
    the only problem is do you have enough time for a double split?

I would have time during a summer break, but my main concerne Is over training.
    Could you help me split it upp and modifie it so I dont have to use a dubble split??
    I could lift maby 5 days a week instead and possibly use dubbel split on one day(sunday).

BTW that book you mentioned is it a good read??

chris245 is offline Junior Member
    Just out of curiosity,whats a 'board press'? Is it basically another name for bench press?

Edit: Also what are the following exercises listed:

-Elbows out Extensions
    -Zercher squats
    -floor press

thanks guys,and sorry for askin so many question
    Last edited by chris245; 05-11-2002 at 12:35 PM.

a board press is a bench press done with board laying on your chest.
    the zercher squat is a squat done with the barbel reasting in your arms(someother guy should be abel to explain better) the elbows out extsension is the same as a tate press and I think one is describe on
    http://www.elitefitnesssystems.com/ in ask dave and exercise descirptions.
    and the floor press is a bench press done laying on the floor.

Originally posted by chris245
    Just out of curiosity,whats a 'board press'? Is it basically another name for bench press?

Edit: Also what are the following exercises listed:

-Elbows out Extensions
    -Zercher squats
    -floor press

thanks guys,and sorry for askin so many question

Here is a pic of the tate press. Its a excelent exercise.

http://www.geocities.com/johntroxel71/tate.html

Thanks bro, i owe ya one

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Great stuff Johan, thanks for the links.

Just happy to help.

footballcat is offline Associate Member
    west side stuff works real good
    i used there program for 3 years
    and all the power lifters i lift with use it

lionman is offline New Member
    Yes> Westside does work. been using it 3+ years now. I currently train at Southside Barbell, which a former member of Westside barbell started down here in S. FL...... Nice little private gym, just like ol' Westside... Tons of information on this stuff.. You have to keep on top of it daily because they are constantly tweaking and changing to improve the sport of powerlifting......................

Damn lionman I read in another thread that you pull over 700 in the deadlift. That is freaking amazing .

How much has your dl improved since you started westside style lifting??

How big is your bench and squat?

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    johan lion posted those numbers on the thread to the big guys(something like that)

my top thoughts for big lifts
    porkchop you have the desire which is the first step to big lifts
    no fear is the second--your body can lift 1000lbs but your mind wont let you--you got to see and believe
    third is form and tecnique--most important in power lifting
    fourth is speed and explosion--work power on some days speed and force on others
    read and learn---get involved---go to meets just to watch as motivation
    get a training partner with same goals and desire so you can push each other

on bench i never came close to 405 till recently when i believed in self and lost fear of sore elbow--trained for it and hit over 400 3 weeks in a row till 445 was hit---now elbow hurting so fricken bad cant bench---2 weeks off so far
    might have to start back into fighting jujitsu again---i got to be competing in something---grew up in sports all my life and wont change now

PorkChop is offline New Member
    Thanks for All the responses. I have been really reading on westside lately and will go for it. I wana get my bench and squat a little better. But i know it will take time. What sucks is the meet i did i got my opener bench and opener squat. 2 attempt deadlift. I knwo i am stronger then what i must say i have legally done. I just ordered the Inzer hardcore suit anyone use it?

Hey Tapout what can you bench in a shirt? According to westside if your tris are where they need to be you should get over 10% from one. I benched my 365 in a single poly and was thinking of getting s double ply. Anyone use double?

lionman you are beast! I take it your elite! What kind of lifting gear do you use?

johan thanks for th epic we started those and love em. I dont do too much right now , but should help my bench. Thanks guys.

Another question:

When it says "work up to a single or triple",does that mean reps? And if so,does it also mean you do as many sets as you can till only 1 rep can be acheived?

thanks again all
    -chris

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    pork chop i use a denium and benched 445 with it --my elbow and shoulder is fried and can only do about 365 raw cause of pain but with shirt no pain. with shirt benching tris are more important than chest strength
    chris s you still want do do anly a certain amount of sets--just do bigger jumps in weight

Can a mod plz move this to the Powerlifting forum??

Mounts is offline New Member
    i'm currently at 235 bench, i'm only 17 and ive been lifting seriously for about 5 months now, but i cant seem to get more than 235 up...ive been stuck at it for a long time, and ive tried switching up my woutines and shit but nothing works...anyone have any ideas to help me? and do you think its possible to be in the 300's by september?

lionman is offline New Member
    Johan, my DL has increased drastically since going to WS methods, but more so because I have targeted lagging body parts, such as hamstrings... ALot of it also comes from the motivation from theother guys in the gym, as they say, get strong or get the fuck out !!!! You can only get ragged on so long till you perform, ya know......

Porkchop, I only use Inzer... I feel it is hte best out there.... My bench shirt is a double denim, open back.... My squat suit is the hardcore, and no suit for DL..... I use to use the Inzer poly and really loved it, but they convinced me to go to denim.. still getting used to it... Hopefully I'll be hitting 600 in a few weeks at a APF meet.....

Chris, when it says work up to a single or triple, yes that is reps.... but one or the other... for singles, keep going up till you fail at a weight.. same with triples, till you fail at a triple.. then remember that number and next time you do that exercise again, your goal is to beat that number, even if it is only by 5 pounds or so....... we keep track of ours on a big dry erase board........

prenes is offline Junior Member
    nice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information