Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Strenghtening upper back?

The biggest problem I have now when I have returned to squatting is to keep the bar firmly placed on my back.

My entire upper back region feels to weak and its realy anoying. I often find that the bar slips down my back if I do more reps than 3 or so.

Might be a form issue aswell I guess. But hard to know for sure when I have no one to look over my form over here.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    sounds as ifit is aplacement issue. put the bar on the scapular ridge (top part of both scapulas). if you put the bar below this point ,it is to low IMO. can you take a still pic of your bar placement or a video and post it for me and the boys to look at?

nah unfortunaly I dont have any camera maby if I could se a good pic on the exact placement. Im trying to find a good video but I cant seem to find one

btw the perodization works wonders. My back was giving me some shit so I have been focusing on bench instead and brought it up 22ibs. I am on my way for another 22ib record. My bench had been stuck at 140kg for SO damn long so it feelt like a ****ing miracle to put up 150kg and it feelt like nothing! In two weeks Im gonna try 160kg. Today I did 3 sets of 3 with 135 and thats easily the best 3 reps I have ever done.

I forgot my girl has a camera. Just took two pics.

God damn I have become fat during this summer.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strenghtening upper back?-1.jpg   Strenghtening upper back?-2.jpg  

placement looks good to me, try to move the bar up maybe an inch and see if it makes a difference. no higher than that ,any higher will throw your form off

ok thanks Il give it a try

let me know if it helps at all

Phildude is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

Let me know if the mop squats help also, I've been doing mine with broomsticks and have gone NOWHERE!

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    Have you tried adding a lot of cleans, snatches and rear delt work to your routine. I know the west side guys really advocate that a lot not just for its application to presses.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdawg21
    Have you tried adding a lot of cleans, snatches and rear delt work to your routine. I know the west side guys really advocate that a lot not just for its application to presses.
    Along those lines, if you can really "get inside" seated dumbbell cleans and turn them into a muscle driven as opposed to momentum driven movement, they work wonders as a supplementary movement.

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg21
    I have noticed that if I do to much delt work I overtrain delts very easily. But I do alot of trap work and heavy barbel rows. I guess I could get started with cleans again it was some time since I did them

Thread Information