Leg Press
    6plates x 6 reps
    8plates x 6 reps
    10plates x 6 reps
    12 plates x 6 reps
    14plates x 6 reps
    16plates x 6 reps
    18plates x 6 reps
    20plates x 6 reps (actually have to go up next week to 22 plates)

16 plates x 8 reps
    12 plates x 10 reps
    10 plates x 12 reps
    8 plates x 15 reps

Leg extension
    6 reps
    6 reps
    6 reps

Leg curl
    10 reps
    10 reps
    10 reps

Lounges
    3 sets with 110lbs on back
    each set is about 10 steps

somedays I even add in single leg, leg extensions....

is this too much? btw I'm training for strongman/powerlifting

225lbs at 5'9 right now

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    if you are training for strong man or powerlifting, you dont know what you are dong,this is a bbing routine, not a powerlifting routine, where are you getting your info?

ITripMidgets is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    if you are training for strong man or powerlifting, you dont know what you are dong,this is a bbing routine, not a powerlifting routine, where are you getting your info?
    Well help me out Doc Sust...I want to train for strength....I just kinda came up with this routine...help me out and I would greatly appreciate it

all of these exercise (especially the leg press) are a waste in powerlifting, you have to squat and deadlift, that is your primary focus, work around the core lifts, , these exercises you are doing are all auxillaries, and auxillaries that a powerlifter wouldnt do, powerlfitng auxilaries examples: partial squats, front squats, speed squats with chais or bands, partial deads, good mornings, stiff leg deads, romanian deads,glute ham raise, revers hypers, leg adductors, pull throughs, deadlifting off a 2 inch block ..etcetc, the idea is to do powerlifitng or strongman, you pick exercises that help strengthen your weak pints, and you pick exercises that more closely mimic the movemnt you want to get stronger, what strongman event mimics the leg press??none! what strongman event mimics the leg extenxion?none! see what i am saying> now what strongman event mimcs the squat, i can name a few, or the deadlift.again i can name a few, if you truly are training for strongman, you cant only do powerlift movements either, you have to do strongman movements ie farmers walk, stone lifts, log lifts etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by ITripMidgets
    Well help me out Doc Sust...I want to train for strength....I just kinda came up with this routine...help me out and I would greatly appreciate it
    ok will work it out, i will be back online soon

lene28 is offline Junior Member
    I totally agree with doc, if u are doing powerlifting or strongman you need to focus on squats and deads. Almost all of your strength is going to come from your hamstrings and lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by lene28
    I totally agree with doc, if u are doing powerlifting or strongman you need to focus on squats and deads. Almost all of your strength is going to come from your hamstrings and lower back.
    the only lift i may screw around with would be leg curls once in a blue moon, but i would rather work hamstrings by using deadlift type movements

thanks alot Doc Sust!!! btw I do deadlifts and squats....always did them on back day....not on leg day...guess my whole routine needs fixin

thanks alot Doc Sust!!! btw I do deadlifts and squats....always did them on back day....not on leg day...guess my whole routine needs fixin
    ok lets talk. there is no more "back day. your program is going to revolve around the 3 big lifts(squat press and dead,) back is just an auxillary lift not a major lift. also have you checked out any of the programs i have stickied? german block training, westside template? take a peak at the workouts, and ask some questions we will try to slap a program together for you.

here is an example of a powerlifting program this one is a little more complicated, but you will get the jist of what i am saying, no leg press , no leg curls. just core lift work

Sunday
    Squats
    Close Grip Benches
    front squats

Tuesday
    Deadlifts
    speed bench press (8 sets of 3 reps using 50- 60% of your max)
    Deadlifts off of a 2 inch block or 100lb plate

Thursday
    regular bench press
    close stance Squats
    4-5 Board bench Presses

Friday
    Deadlift Rack Lockouts
    Lat Pulls Vertical
    Dips
    Lat Pulls Horizontal
    BB Curls

AWESOME!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN DOC. thanks alot I will try it out and report some progress in about 8 weeks.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Yo Doc,

I like that routine outlined above. I train for strongman. Could I incorporate a similar routine but substitute overhead lifting for the bench lifting since overhead lifts are more involved in strongman than the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31
    Yo Doc,

I like that routine outlined above. I train for strongman. Could I incorporate a similar routine but substitute overhead lifting for the bench lifting since overhead lifts are more involved in strongman than the bench?
    sure no problem, just be careful to not overtrain. make sure you incorpoarate the log lift.

AWESOME!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN DOC. thanks alot I will try it out and report some progress in about 8 weeks.
    we are not doen yet, what do you plan to do for reps?sets? how do you plan to work the program?percentages/periodization? how may wks?etcetc, we have to set this up like a science experiment, not half ass and maxing out every wk, that wont help you.show me what you think and i will hit you up some suggestions.take a look at the percentages, sets and reps for my original deadlift routine, this may help you figure it out

Doc Sust's deadlift routine

here is the link to the routine, if you can't figure it out let me know

also the program i wrote out for you is called the sheiko program, you may be able to find other examples of it online, artica showed me this routine and i liked it myself. his routine was a little more complicated(usings bands and powerlifting gear) so i made it a little more simple for you to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by lene28
    From what I know (which I am not saying is a lot), I believe you focus on your core...not really on like hamstrings, but your overall core. That's how I am able to squat so well, is my core strength.
    core is lower back and abs so lene is right as well, alot of strength is form the posterior chain(glutes,lower back and hamstrings) but also abs, hips/adductors and quads, there is alot moe involved than just the core or hamstrings

Quote Originally Posted by Shotput58"9'
    From what I know (which I am not saying is a lot), I believe you focus on your core...not really on like hamstrings, but your overall core. That's how I am able to squat so well, is my core strength.
    core is lower back and abs so lene is right as well, alot of strength is form the posterior chain(glutes,lower back and hamstrings) but also abs, hips/adductors and quads, there is alot moe involved than just the core or hamstrings

Thread Information