Madmax209 is offline Junior Member

Doc Sust deadlift routine - questions

I would have a couple of questions for Doc. Sust about his DL routine.

1. - how to use suit during this routine?

2. - what about the % ? Do you have any suitable plan? There is written - start at 50% and work up to 95%. This is taken from projected max, right?

3. - as for aux - you recommend to do SLDL, shrugs and pause squats?

Thank you for answer.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    this is an old routine i dont use anymore, but if you were to use it\

1 i wear the suit when using 90% or above

2 the % first wk is 50% second is 55% third is 60% and so on and so on up to 95% in 5% increments

3 auxillaries are stiff leg deadlift, shrugs and pause squats

does that help?

Yes, it does, thx. So you said, itīs an old routine and you donīt use it anymore? So can you recommend any others?

here is what i do now, i dont follow a particular program,i have a template, on saturdays i train my squat and deadlift together, o n mondays i do my leg auxillary work, and thats it. i change the percents i use when i get closer to a meet, i usually do multiple 3 wks waves, wk 4 i take a down wk where i dodn deadlift and squat light without using bands or chains

here is an example of how it would look

sat
    box squats with blue bands using briefs only
    5- 6 working sets of 2 reps, than 1-2 heavier singles

deadlift sumo, with doubled mini bands
    3-5 sets of 2.
    conventional deads 2-3 sets of 5 reps

glute ham raise or revers hyper2-3 sets of 10-15 reps

weighted ab work,
    done

auxillary day on monday

good morning or stiffleg deads working up to a 3 rep max,if i feel real beat up from the squat day i will skip these movements

pullthorughs with bands
    glute ham raise or hyper extensions
    leg curls
    quad work( i very rarely do it because my quads are strong enough_)
    a**uctor/ adductor work(not every wk,i do this if i feel i need it)
    light lat work 3- 5 sets of 10

basicaly this day is used to work any of your weaknesses, it will be different for everyone, but the focus generally should be the posterior change(low back,glutes, hamstrings,)

Is it correct -

wk 1-3 - 3x 3reps
    wk 4-6 - 3x 4reps
    ?
    Or should it be vice versa, 3x4 in first 3wks, followed with 3x3??

link me to the part of the program you are speaking about

10 wk program starts at 50% and you work up to 95 % take a wk off and max. wks 1-3 3sets of 3 reps.wks 3-6 3sets of 4 reps(during the first 6 wks pull off a 1- 2inch box) wk 7-8 3sets of 3reps, wk 9 2sets of 2 reps wk 10 one set of 2 reps. take a wk of and max.

wks 1-3 should be 5 reps. i screwed up writing it. good catch

What would you recommend to improve the bottom of the deadlift? It's my sticking point, everything I pull form the floor, I lock out... Deadlifts standing on box or deadlift till knees seem to work fine, what about bands? Can they help me with the bottom of dl? If so, what's your recommend scheme to follow? Also which dl suit is in your opinion best for conventional dl, if I need strongest possible rebound from the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax209 View Post
    What would you recommend to improve the bottom of the deadlift? It's my sticking point, everything I pull form the floor, I lock out... Deadlifts standing on box or deadlift till knees seem to work fine, what about bands? Can they help me with the bottom of dl? If so, what's your recommend scheme to follow? Also which dl suit is in your opinion best for conventional dl, if I need strongest possible rebound from the floor?
    now with a dead suit, i cant tell you, i still havent found anything that works for me.

as far as training, to fix the pull off the floor, pull from 3 inch boxes. you also have to do the rack deads below the knees and the band pulls. i would pick two out of the three exercise each wk and alternate them like this. wk 1, box pulls and lockouts, wk2 box pulls and than band deads, wk 3 box pulls and bands together. w4, take the wk off from pulls wk 5 repeat wk one, , wk 6 repeat wk 2..... you get the idea?

Got it Doc, thanks, but u think, rack lockouts can fix the pull off the floor? And how would you place this scheme into the training template?
    What about low box squat, can that also help?
    Sorry for too many questions...

Got it Doc, thanks, but u think, rack lockouts can fix the pull off the floor? And how would you place this scheme into the training template?
    What about low box squat, can that also help?
    Sorry for too many questions...
    many claim that low box squats with bands can help the dead. i myself never saw any gains from this

the rack lockouts wont directly help off the floor, but if you ignore the lockouts, guess where your new weakness will be? the lockout! i learned this lesson the hard way. my weakness was off the floor so i worked off boxes for wks. went to the meet. pulled everything off the floor quick, but i missed my final and heaviest deadlift in a contest ever at lockout because i stoped doing lockouts. needless to say i was pissed at myself.

where to place it in a training template? depends on what your plan of attack looks like. write up your plan and let me see it. i do my lockouts at the end of the dead workout. last exercise. i never start with rack deads or use it as my main max effort exercise

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust View Post
    many claim that low box squats with bands can help the dead. i myself never saw any gains from this

the rack lockouts wont directly help off the floor, but if you ignore the lockouts, guess where your new weakness will be? the lockout! i learned this lesson the hard way. my weakness was off the floor so i worked off boxes for wks. went to the meet. pulled everything off the floor quick, but i missed my final and heaviest deadlift in a contest ever at lockout because i stoped doing lockouts. needless to say i was pissed at myself.

where to place it in a training template? depends on what your plan of attack looks like. write up your plan and let me see it. i do my lockouts at the end of the dead workout. last exercise. i never start with rack deads or use it as my main max effort exercise

I see, just my deadlift is currently 530-540, while for lockouts I can pull about 620... Therefore I need to fix the pull off the floor. Anyway, will follow your advices.
    Well, my idea was something like this -
    ME Squat - Squat variaton, 1-3rm, followed by rep work (2x3 80% or so), some sort of pull - 1-5rm, accessories - hams, lower back, abs
    DE Squat - Speed box squat - 8-10 x 2, Goodmornings - 5rm, accessories - hams, lower back, abs
    I'm not sure, if speed squats work for me, maybe better to substitute them with some repetition work (like 5x5 or so)?
    How would you personalize that for my requests?

I see, just my deadlift is currently 530-540, while for lockouts I can pull about 620... Therefore I need to fix the pull off the floor. Anyway, will follow your advices.
    Well, my idea was something like this -
    ME Squat - Squat variaton, 1-3rm, followed by rep work (2x3 80% or so), some sort of pull - 1-5rm, accessories - hams, lower back, abs
    DE Squat - Speed box squat - 8-10 x 2, Goodmornings - 5rm, accessories - hams, lower back, abs
    I'm not sure, if speed squats work for me, maybe better to substitute them with some repetition work (like 5x5 or so)?
    How would you personalize that for my requests?
    try it out with rep work and i think it will work. it is basically almost what i do

Thread Information