Squatman51 is offline Senior Member

westside and single ply

I know many single ply lifters and none of them use westside...i wanted to start a westside routine but do you know alot of lifters who use westside that are single ply or raw?

Denim165 is offline New Member

westside/single ply

Louie has been writing articles for PowerliftingUSA magazine about training the westside way for a long time. I have his articles from the early 1990's, maybe even mid- late 1980's, and this was before all the double & triple ply suits...also before canvas was used to make suits. It work then, and it can work now. If your raw, I think you would need to adjust the percentages.

Brian

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    westside is designed for multi ply, even when it was year back, the west side guys were wearing single ply suits with briefs underneath, they were never really single ply. raw training is suicide using westside, trust me, i have tried. i now train mulit ply now, and westside works for me now, as opposed to before when i was raw and it just murdered my deadlift numbers. westside is a template, and you cant really learn it unless your train with people who are very familiar with it, you can read all the fcking articles, buy the books, and still not get it(you would have a better idea, but you would not be a master by any means) it is a template, not a workout routine, it is diffeent for everyone depending on your weaknesses and your strengths. it is always changing, the methods they used in the early 90's are VERY different from what they use today, and the percentages changed as well. (the percents are a guideline, they arent meant to be written in stone, see the prieblin chart, it gives you an idea of what you should use with volume per percentage ratio but you have to adapt it to YOUR needs

i would like to hear what your thoughts are on this greg p. (greg is a westside lifter and possibly the best lifter pound per pound on the planet"

Lightbulb WS ply training..

For sure things I different then the late 80's, early 90's...I've made my way around the net the last week or so, and I see its way different, exercises, etc....that Greg Panora
    is a monster, I can't imagine him & Chuck V training together. I have this old video of Louie's from about mid 90's, it came in regular vid sleeve, nothing fancy. Chuck was lighter, and benching 485 at the time. Kenny P. was benching like 455. How time changes. Kenny's speed sets of 3 on the bench were with 300. In the video, they were using about 65% or so, but that changed with the chains/bands, the percentages have really dropped.

I guess the only thing that is the same, is adjusting the numbers to fit you. Off subject, I see Kenny has started a new organization, I wish him luck. I see a meet in Ohio in the spring, might make that one my first one back.
    Last edited by Denim165; 12-04-2007 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denim165 View Post
    For sure things I different then the late 80's, early 90's...I've made my way around the net the last week or so, and I see its way different, exercises, etc....that Greg Panora
    is a monster, I can't imagine him & Chuck V training together. I have this old video of Louie's from about mid 90's, it came in regular vid sleeve, nothing fancy. Chuck was lighter, and benching 485 at the time. Kenny P. was benching like 455. How time changes. Kenny's speed sets of 3 on the bench were with 300. In the video, they were using about 65% or so, but that changed with the chains/bands, the percentages have really dropped.

I guess the only thing that is the same, is adjusting the numbers to fit you. Off subject, I see Kenny has started a new organization, I wish him luck. I see a meet in Ohio in the spring, might make that one my first one back.
    i have seen the video with chuck and kenny! lol how old is that thing?i think chuck was 181 pressing around 500

i have seen the video with chuck and kenny! lol how old is that thing?i think chuck was 181 pressing around 500 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its so old, even Matt Dimel is in it...I just watched it again tonight.

i have seen the video with chuck and kenny! lol how old is that thing?i think chuck was 181 pressing around 500 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its so old, even Matt Dimel is in it...I just watched it again tonight.
    yes he is in it! louie keeps talking about how he has squated 1010lbs, he mentions it a 100 times at least.

in the video we are talking about, at the very end of video, does louie do a skit where he goes into the gym with a puppy and he is talking to the dog saying he is going to have him do some max effort work, and than it forward into time a few wks later and louie comes out of the gym with a full sized pitbull, saying that the training made him a monster?!?! LOL!it is stupis but funny, one of the westside video's has this skit on it

Yes, that dog at the end made me laugh......you know, at the very beginning, he talks about each lifter who has lifted at westside, a little of this and that. One guy he mentions is Jeff Chorpenning. This guy was "the man" around 17 years ago. He put up 800/500/750@198. In todays gear, who knows. He is a guy who wasn't built to bench, but still posted a 500@198 in the early 1990's, as Louie points out in the video.

Yes, that dog at the end made me laugh......you know, at the very beginning, he talks about each lifter who has lifted at westside, a little of this and that. One guy he mentions is Jeff Chorpenning. This guy was "the man" around 17 years ago. He put up 800/500/750@198. In todays gear, who knows. He is a guy who wasn't built to bench, but still posted a 500@198 in the early 1990's, as Louie points out in the video.
    i dont remeber jeff C, but damn his numbers are really something for that time hell even now,guy has my total beat. a 750 dead is a real solid lift

Thread Information