powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member

Irishpower's visit to Florida!

Well first off Irish is a hell of a nice guy. Bigger in person! We did speed squats and got a pretty good training session in. We took a max box weight afterwards and all i can say is the man is strong! We all had a good Training day.

Next up was dinner. The rounds of Killians just kept a comin! We (Myself, Irish, Grimmer, and Jimmie Dean) sat for a couple hours and shot the shit. Teen Myth trained with us but had to get up at 3 am for work and couldnt make dinner. We then went to a pool hall and shot a few games and drank a couple pitchers of beer, before my ball and chain said it was time to go! Dam woman always ends my nights!

BUt Irish it was a pleasure to meet you, and i hope you find your way back here to live soon. We wil definitly hit your gym. And it would be pretty cool to go to meets together and set up camp and compete.

My wife informed me i was drinkin to much!! Imagine that?

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    DAMN I tried to see if he was coming tomm when he posted a ?for GRIMM I had some time off yesterday that woulda been cool to meet him and train with you guys too. OH WELL next time.

Give us some numbers on weights that were used. Or were there not enough in the gym

IrishPower is offline Junior Member
    Just got situated back in nice, COOL Washington.

What a great crew you guys have down there! The pleasure was all mine.

PLJay, Jimmie Dean: please feel no guilt about not coming into tampa. we will arrange it better next time It was nice not traveling home on a hangover anyway!

It was a pretty good squat session, and it was a nice change to do all the speed weight with no belt.

PLJay got the award for going the heaviest sucessfully (545 + greens). Ironically, we all failed at 585, but no one showed any fear of the big weights and that is the most important thing.

You have a stable of 800 squatters down there now. Just gotta put it together at a meet.

Our session reinforced my suspicions about some of the band training i have been doing. I have been doing too much band tension and NOT enough raw weight on the bar. I am going to compensate by alternating between heavy bands one session and heavier raw the next. I have lost some of the explosion I used to have but have compensated by developing a lot of lockout power. Combine the two, and I think it will do wonders for the squat!

Hey guys... thanks again!

http://www.growordie.com/Training/pi...a_Trip_004.jpg

deciever is offline Associate Member
    in that picture, who are the 3 guys from the left over.. im pretty sure teen myth is in the middle.. and ones jimmy dean, and the toher i dunno... just dont know who is who..

oh and btw, PLJAY it looks like your standing on your tip toes..
    Last edited by deciever; 09-14-2002 at 09:44 PM.

jeremys is offline Associate Member
    i'd like to know also, so i can recognize you guys when you're big-time

benchmonster is offline Junior Member
    Those guys are big time jeremy.

Glad you guys had a good time. Good job Jay on the 545 plus greens.

B.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    Irish, would you be more explosive because you are using more band tension? Maybe I am thinking of this wrong. Kind of the same things on bench with bands....the bands cause you to eccentrically lower the weight faster, which in turn causes the more explosive concentric contraction....

so wouldnt you be more explosive when you switched to more raw weight? Just a thought...

chad
    carolinapower.net

regarding bands and explosion:

i did an experiment over my last 2 meets. i lowered my raw weight % to under 50% of my 1rm. I also mega-increased the band tension.

end result: lost my explosion out of the hole but gained a shitload of power from pushing against the bands as they started engaging.

i think you need to move more raw weight on the squat. the canvas suit (IMO) doesnt give you the kind of rebound you get from a denim bench shirt.

well... i will have 8 weeks to work on this theory before i can test it out.

i will keep you posted.

musc2002pa is offline Associate Member
    Ok, that makes a lot more sense with the denim to canvas comparison.

One other thing to help out the hole...have you thought of going lower on the box, maybe every other speed session, drop the box height a little?

chad
    carolinapower.net

GRIMMER is offline Junior Member
    HELL I havn't even seen the pictures yet but i can tell you i'm the small guy with the Beastie Boys shirt on. You can magine how i feel when i speed squat with guys that do it with my MAX. Anyway, it was a pleasure training with another intense llifter. Cheers to ya IRISH and hopefully we'll get together at another time.

Imnotdutch is offline Junior Member
    I'm guessing that nobody tried to pick fights with you lot when you hit the bar?

TeenMyth is offline New Member
    deciever
    Grimmer is in the beastie boys shirt, Jimmydean is in the green shirt, im in the gray INZER shirt, PLJAY is in the black shirt and our guest lifter, who I must say is a very nice guy with alot of knowledge, Big Irishpower is in the yellow.

deciever is offline Associate Member
    thanks.. i recognized irish from all his videos, PL jay from his shaved legs, you, i just figured it was you since you were wearing an Inzer shirt, i just wanst sure about the 2 on the left.
    so what kind of weights did you guys use?

LOL shaved legs!! Deciever you cant let that one go huh?!! I wasnt on my tip toes really. Our powerack is 3 inches high, and teen myth was right behind me so i couldnt scoot back, and big Irish was right in front so i just squeezed in the best i could.

Ya see we used green bands and after doing the measuring we did we didnt have that much difference between lockout and on the box. We had over 100 at lockout(actually like 115 or so) and had closer to 60 to 75 on the box. I remember when we were measuring the box height was the same as my lockout on bench 42 inches. And it was 75lb tension for bench. Either way the actual weight was heavy and on the box was really heavy!!

We have been taking a weight after speed day for th elast few weeks. No more then 3 sets of singles. But we we try to figure is how were gonna use the bands. We do lots of tension, lighter weight, sometimes, others we do liek last Fri were we have little tension and more actual weight, and otheres no bands. Change it weekly.

Irish is one strong ass dude. He squats wider then i do. Cant wait to train again like that. Hey Irish keep us updated on the job thing.

I forgot to mention we used a 13inch box height, and big green bands. 50 to 65lb on box (depending on height). And did speed work with 365, then 405. We then went up to a single at the end.

jimmydean is offline New Member
    Irish, I gotta tell ya. It was great having you train with us. I know I speak for everyone when I say we really hope you decide to move down for good. It would be awesome to be able to train together then go kick ass in competition.

I didn't realize it at the time, but with the green bands choked we had at least 50 lbs on the box and 105+ at the top. So we had 635 on the box on that last attempt. But we still gave it a good ride.

We will definitely add those band deads that you showed us to our rotation. It's too bad we didn't have enough time to hook up the reverse hyper. Maybe next time.

Again, it was a pleasure to finally meet and train with you. You are one huge powerlifter.

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    WOW you guys are stil big can't wait to get some of my pics up Monday should be the day. I by accident erased my dig cam pics I know now NOT to press format.

Great workout guys can't wait to train with you FL Crew.

bigokie is offline Junior Member
    Sounds awesome. Can't wait to train with some of you guys. A 13" box though, uuuhhhhmmmm maybe not. (MIDGETS)

So Irish, if your not happy with the rebound you get out of a canvas suit, why not get a denim? Think that would make any difference?

Good luck fellas

Big Okie:

I am debating whether or not to ditch the canvas. I think it is conducive to westside box training. It allows you to descend nice and controlled. I feel more secure.

One more meet, and I will see. I have heard that the Frantz canvas gives more rebound. I have a phillips.

Thread Information