boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member

Do you touch the highest point of your arch?

I videotaped my benching on Monday and realized that I am missing the highest point of my arch by about 2". I have a pretty good arch, but I bring the bar about 1-2" below my chest plate, when the highest point is around 4" below the chest plate. I'm trying to concentrate on touching really low when decline benching in hopes of getting accustomed to bringing the bar lower when flat benching.

Do you guys touch the highest point of your arch, or is your comfort level somewhere else? As I said I have a pretty good arch, and could probably shorten my length by at least an inch if I can touch the highest spot. Any tips?

BTW, I'm talking raw benching.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by boondockSAINT View Post
    BTW, I'm talking raw benching.
    if it is raw benching you dont want to do that. touch where you have the most strength. now in a shirt, yes touch at the highest point

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust View Post
    if it is raw benching you dont want to do that. touch where you have the most strength. now in a shirt, yes touch at the highest point
    Really? Are you saying that one's leverage higher up the chest will make them stronger? Couldn't one adjust to become comfortable benching off the top of the arch, or do you think they are loosing too much leverage by doing so?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by boondockSAINT View Post
    Really? Are you saying that one's leverage higher up the chest will make them stronger? Couldn't one adjust to become comfortable benching off the top of the arch, or do you think they are loosing too much leverage by doing so?
    loosing leverage and starting strength from the pecs. when i press equiped. i use elbows in, and highest arch(touch my belly). reason so is the shirt gives more than enough support from the bottom which makes up for not using the pecs. when i press raw. elbows out. i do touch low, but not that low where i am at my belly. i am right at about the bottom part of my pecs hitting the manubrium on the sternum.

another example. try to deadlift with the bar two inches farther from your body. it throws off your bio mechanics and makes the lift a hell of alot more difficult. same goes with touching to low with a raw press. to low = no starting strength

Thread Information