3v1lj03 is offline Junior Member

Invited to compete in power lifting comp

I was working out in a small town (1 stop light) YMCA a couple of weeks ago and the director was watching me do my workout. After I was done he commented on my size and strength and asked me if I would be interested in entering a power lifting competition he holds there regularly on Dec 20th this year. I told him I don't really train for power lifting and he pointed out that I used all the weight he had and the biggest DBs on the rack ( only 90s) and very few people he has in the Y can. I told him I would think about it. He pretty much gave me a free pass to workout there anytime I wanted to without a membership with the prospect that I was going to compete. I really did not think I would I am not a power lifter. I told my wife about it and she told my kids and now the whole family has convinced me too go for it. My question to you guys and gals is should I change what I am doing to prepare for this event or should I train and eat just like I have been. I don't think I am that strong but, I guess compared to the other people around me I move a lot of weight. I am inclined to just stay on the course I am since I am making real progress towards my goals right now.
    What do you think?

Tony Q is offline Junior Member
    Try to find someone who knows what they are doing. You should have him go with you to help you out. Open LIGHT!!! You will be miserable if you bomb-out... OPEN LIGHT!!! Open with something you can easily do for 3.

right thanks

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    what kind of program are you following, two wk before the meet, lift lite the first wk, second wk, right before the meet,dont lift at all

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust View Post
    what kind of program are you following, two wk before the meet, lift lite the first wk, second wk, right before the meet,dont lift at all
    I am on a 5 day bodybuilding split. I do deads, squats and bench every week I do about 80% for 10 to 12 reps on everything except legs on legs I am on a version of 20 rep squats. The kick here is I am in a cut cycle diet too so that has affected my strength but, my body has started to adapt to it and my strength has been on the way back up.

Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good… go for it and I would not change anything unless you intend to become a frequent competitor of powerlifting. Don’t hit it too hard before the meet (about a week or 2) and open with something you can easily hit 3xs. Good luck…

thanks fat guy

Thread Information