Adrock is offline Junior Member

Box squats are bad?

I've been box squating for a little while now, with the box set at a height which is just a little below parallel. I have been told by a few people that box squats are very bad for your back when compared with regular back squats. On the other hand I have read many articles about box squats being key in a good powerlifting routine. I have found a few references to box squats being bad for your back because they compress the discs more and this increases the chances of back problems later on in life. Can anyone offer an thoughts or advice on this topic? Thanks.

This Is Bench Day is offline Junior Member
    I have been box squatting for only 5 months, but have not had any problems yet. Maybe a more experienced box squatter will help you out. But as for "more compression" -- whether you're doing a normal squat or a box squat, the downward force is the same on your spine. Sitting down on a box does not make the weight heavier, or trasnsfer more weight onto the back. Your back would be in the same position and same conditions if you were in the bottom of a normal squat -- the only difference is that on the box, the eccentric/concentric is broken FOR YOU HIPS AND LEGS. Note that the weight on your back is constant, just as it would be in a normal squat.

If anything I would say it puts more strain on your hips because you are squatting so wide when you do it -- hips is the only area I've actually developed pain in because of box squatting.

Will you hear stories of people messing up their back on box squats, sure. You'll hear just as many about people messing them up on normal squats.

The only danger I see is if you are careless and "fall" onto the box for the last few inches -- now that would cause more compression. If you "sit back" onto the box you are safe IMO.

Maybe somebody will chime in with a box squatting injury report.

GRIMM is offline Junior Member
    Most that hav enever tried them will tell you that they are bad for your back for the very reason that Bench day said. By falling onto the box it will cause more compresion of the vertebrate so don't fall onto the box. If yoiu are going to start it , as with any exercise learn proper technique by using lighter weights first and then slowly lmove up. If you fall onto the box even with the lighter weights then move the box up a few inches until you build up your weak muscle , primarily hips glutes and hams before you lower it.

On the opposite hand box squats are much better for your knees than regular squats because you can sit further back , bringing the knees over the ankles rather than over the toes as with free squatting. This will help take a lot of the shierring forces off of the knees.

Oh well, good luck.

Adrock is offline Junior Member
    Everything you guys have said is along the lines of what I have been thinking. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what these people who are saying that box squats are bad are thinking. The only thing I can come up with is there is a difference in how the weight is applied to your back when doing box squats. Of course when you are doing regular squats your back holds the same weight as when doing box squats, but when you sit down maybe that moves the stress to different parts of the back. I'm having a hard tmie explaining what I mean but think of it this way, maybe there is a difference between sitting at a set height and squating to the same height and how your back handles the load in those two situations.

yellows2k is offline Member
    I don't think you actually "sit" onto the box. You "sit" but not actually normally sit, if ya get what I am saying. I have been box squatting for about a month now and they are a great excercise. They really help for explosive positives IMO!

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    Your butt should be on the box, and you should pause pause on the box, but you should not let yourself get loose.

Ermantroudt

Rich8888 is offline Member
    Box squats are an awesome excerise. If you stay in form and not "relax" when you sit, you should be good to go. It is when you "relax" when sitting and then re-engage you lower back as you press up. Visualize pushiong through your feet on the way up. Box squats help make you big n' strong.

bigokie is offline Junior Member
    I've screwed up my back, herniated disk, and I can box squat much more comfortable than regular squat. The main thing most people do wrong is that they use either too much weight or they try to fall on the box and almost bounce up off the box. Just what I think. If you take time to learn the right form it won't hurt you.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Everyone anserwed perfect all i can add is they are not bad for you. The people who tell you this will also tell you deadlifting is bad for you as well. Proper techinique is key. Hell you can hurt yourself doing crossovers if done poorly! YOu sit back on the box and your hips are to remain tight. Start with lighter weight and learn the form then you will see how benefical they are. I miss them!!

CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member
    exactly like powerlifterjay said as long as you do them correctly there shouldnt be a problem, i use them for training for speed and explosion, they give my muscles a little bit more speed, and its always good to throw in variations, but no, they are not bad for you.

Thread Information