Thread: Barbell Weights

Maverick_J8 is offline Member

Barbell Weights

I've posted here because it's techincally to do with max lift totals on the bar.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but all olympic sized steel bars are 20kilo?

I have two olympic style bars in my gym, both exactly the same length and shape, except one has a slighter thinner diameter around the bar itself.

I use the thinner because I have thick hands and I feel it enables me to get a nice tight grip on the bar.

Guy X walks over and says, "hey is that bar lighter", to which I reply no it's a standard 20. He immediately turns to his gym buddy and says "i told you so". His gym buddy was adamant up until I told him he was wrong that the bar was the "light bar" than the other olympic.

All steel olympic style bars, whether thin or thick, are 20kilo weight, correct?

For the record, i've held both hand in hand and they feel pretty much the same which should confirm my theory. But the thinner grip does feel.... easier to use? Lighter would be the wrong word.
    Last edited by Maverick_J8; 08-10-2010 at 11:52 AM.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    No there are different bars most gyms however will only have standard 45lb bars, however some bars are 55lbs.

xxxl83

Skyler is offline I thought I knew it all...WRONG!
    The thinner one is easier to use just because you have a better grip, thus more control. Its like taking the same gallon of water, and first trying to hold it with one hand without using the handle, and then trying to hold it with one hand using the handle. Weighs the same, but it feels heavier or lighter depending on how much control you have over it.
    Most gyms do have 45lbs (20.4kilo) bars, but I know that there are specialty bars that weight more. There is this one powerlifting federation I compete in, and they always use a Texas Power Bar for their deadlift, which has a slightly thinner handle, and good grip so its easier to handle, but it has a super high weight capacity, and actually weighs 50lbs.

Mr.Rose is offline Anabolic Member
    Thinner bars are for dead-lifts. They also have more flex to them. Thicker bars are for squatting/bench.

Cheers for clearing that up guys.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Rose View Post
    Thinner bars are for dead-lifts. They also have more flex to them. Thicker bars are for squatting/bench.
    That's not entirely accurate. Texas power bar has much less flex in it than a olympic bar (used for actual olympic lifting). Both bars (standard) weight about the same.

Now there are bars that weigh 55lbs (I have two, can't remember the manufacturer), but they have a standard grip and have next to zero flex. I use them in all lifts.

There are axels used in strongman that weigh between 75-100lbs. These are anywhere between 1 3/4" and 3" in diameter.

It all depends on the manufacturer and what the bar is used for. But most gyms carry the standard 45lb bars.

Thanks for clearing that up BgMc31, we don't have half the bars you yanks use down here in Aus. But i've never competed in a meet so i wouldnt know waht bar they use for which, the boys that do they tell me thinner are for deads, thicker for squats. haha.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    No sweat, Mr. Rose! I can understand the theory behind squatting with a thicker bar and pulling with a thinner bar, though. It does make a lot of sense. But, to be honest, give with exceptionally large hands, like myself, don't like the thinner bars because large hands actually wrap to far around the bar (picture a pencil in your hand as opposed to a hammer handle).

Yeh i get you. I use a standard olympic bar for all lifts too. Always have. The thinner bar feels way to strange for me to lift, i don't like it.

Godplex is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    That's not entirely accurate. Texas power bar has much less flex in it than a olympic bar (used for actual olympic lifting). Both bars (standard) weight about the same.

Now there are bars that weigh 55lbs (I have two, can't remember the manufacturer), but they have a standard grip and have next to zero flex. I use them in all lifts.

There are axels used in strongman that weigh between 75-100lbs. These are anywhere between 1 3/4" and 3" in diameter.

It all depends on the manufacturer and what the bar is used for. But most gyms carry the standard 45lb bars.
    Agreed. There's quite a bit of variation out there. The only way to know for sure what you've got is to weigh the bar.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_J8 View Post
    I've posted here because it's techincally to do with max lift totals on the bar.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but all olympic sized steel bars are 20kilo?

I have two olympic style bars in my gym, both exactly the same length and shape, except one has a slighter thinner diameter around the bar itself.

I use the thinner because I have thick hands and I feel it enables me to get a nice tight grip on the bar.

Guy X walks over and says, "hey is that bar lighter", to which I reply no it's a standard 20. He immediately turns to his gym buddy and says "i told you so". His gym buddy was adamant up until I told him he was wrong that the bar was the "light bar" than the other olympic.

All steel olympic style bars, whether thin or thick, are 20kilo weight, correct?

For the record, i've held both hand in hand and they feel pretty much the same which should confirm my theory. But the thinner grip does feel.... easier to use? Lighter would be the wrong word.
    my home gym i have an olympic bar that is thinner than the one at my gym.. it bows a little from doing squats with it so many times.. it is 8kg.. the regular thicker bar is 20kg...

CFforged is offline Junior Member
    Be aware that a womens olympic bar is exactly the same length, and has the same sleeves, but is thinner. Those bars are 15kg. That is immediately what I thought of when I read the OP. Not sure how common those are in commercial gyms though.

Holding hand in hand they both feel very similar weight. The only difference is the control when holding the thicker bar - it's diffcult to hold straight.

CFforged is offline Junior Member
    Likely just diferent brand of bars then. All mens olympic bars have a standard weight of 20kg, aside from that there are all kinds of differences. Bar thickness, length, knurling, sleeves, bearings, etc.

Thread Information