Maverick_J8 is offline Member

Westside Dynamic Bench %

I've been incoporating Westside principles and following a WB style bench routine.
    Last edited by Maverick_J8; 10-16-2010 at 09:48 AM.

mediocre45 is offline Junior Member
    Yeah you should raise it. 2 things to think about though:

A lot of raw lifters that use WS don't do typical speed work, or use a much higher percentage...60% sounds about right though. When I'm tailoring my WS routine I might work up and make it a bit less dynamic: 5 sets of 3 at 60%, then work up to a few sets at 80% or so.

Both raw and equipped lifters often wave the dynamic weight percentages, for example:
    Week 1: 55% (8 x 3)
    Week 2: 60% (8 x 3)
    Week 3: 65% (8 x 3)
    Week 4/5/6: 55/60/65% at 10 x 3

There is a fair amount of info out there on this kind of thing, but if you are seeing gains that good, you may not want to bother listening to me lol!

Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mediocre45 View Post
    Yeah you should raise it. 2 things to think about though:

A lot of raw lifters that use WS don't do typical speed work, or use a much higher percentage...60% sounds about right though. When I'm tailoring my WS routine I might work up and make it a bit less dynamic: 5 sets of 3 at 60%, then work up to a few sets at 80% or so.

Both raw and equipped lifters often wave the dynamic weight percentages, for example:
    Week 1: 55% (8 x 3)
    Week 2: 60% (8 x 3)
    Week 3: 65% (8 x 3)
    Week 4/5/6: 55/60/65% at 10 x 3

There is a fair amount of info out there on this kind of thing, but if you are seeing gains that good, you may not want to bother listening to me lol!
    Nice suggestions.

I like the "bit less dynamic" approach.

mediocre45 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_J8 View Post
    Nice suggestions.

I like the "bit less dynamic" approach.
    Agreed. Just make sure to listen to your body, get rest, deload when needed, etc.

I'm going to buy some RTS (reactive training systems) materials...heard good things and think it's a good investment. Basically from what I know it teaches you how to help tailor a program to yourself and listen to your body and what not. For anyone that plans on lifting for a long time I think it's a swell idea to learn this type of thing early on, and employ the techniques over long periods.

Good luck!

Thread Information