Maverick_J8 is offline Member

Glute Ham Raise - Executing effectively?

I use the lat machine alternative as my gym doesn't have a GHR machine.

I usually do 4 sets of 5 (just started doing them) as my hams are clearly weaker than I thought and cannot manage any more than 5 reps.
    I try to go down as slow as possible until I break fall, usually about parallel with the lat machine seat, which at that point I use my hands slightly to push up until I can bring the hams and glutes back in to it - usually only a very slight push is needed so the hams should be getting worked nicely.

However, I am never sore or feel like i've worked them as most articles suggest. Whereas straight legged deads leave my hams sore the following day, even within the 5-6 rep range.

Normal? Just keep doing them and try to improve the rep number?

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Does your gym have one of those things used to do the back raise?

Since my gym doesn't have a GHR machine either, and I found using the lat machine method to be overly easy, I do this:
    I take the back raise bench and put it on it's lowest setting so that the top pads that are supposed to be at your waist are at your knees when in the machine, and then just proceed to do the GHR exercise.

Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    Does your gym have one of those things used to do the back raise?

Since my gym doesn't have a GHR machine either, and I found using the lat machine method to be overly easy, I do this:
    I take the back raise bench and put it on it's lowest setting so that the top pads that are supposed to be at your waist are at your knees when in the machine, and then just proceed to do the GHR exercise.
    My gym doesn't unfortunately. Cheers for the suggestion.

Although, since posting this thread i've started executing a 4 second eccentric and noticed quite a big difference.

Although soreness isn't necessarily attributed to a worked muscle, with a muscle like the hamstrings and an exercise like GHR, I would expect at least a little soreness until the body adapts.

Thread Information