jypoll is offline Member

powerlifting suits

ive been training for powerlifting for 8 months now and i plan to compete for the first time in the new year, i am currently 92kg and will hope to gain weight so i can compete is 100kg weightclass. i am in the junior category and my current lifts are Bench 235lbs, Dead 400lbs, Squat 280lbs, i am wondering what IPF approved equipment i should buy and how much weight i will gain on my lifts.

GetSwole83 is offline Associate Member
    Inzer Bench shirts were allowed, and only a select erector suits... I believe Inzer was the Brand standard back a few years ago when I competed. I personally never like those nut huggers. But they DO make your totals soar! Good luck bro!

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    You cannot just put on gear and expect your numbers to improve. You have to LEARN to use gear. Geared lifting and RAW lifting are two totally different sports. So, IMO (I've been powerlifting since 1990), unless you have 6-8 weeks training in gear, I would suggest you do that 1st comp, raw.

jypoll is offline Member
    I am going to go watch a meet next month to see how it works, but my first meet won't be for 4-6 months

CDiesel313 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    You cannot just put on gear and expect your numbers to improve. You have to LEARN to use gear. Geared lifting and RAW lifting are two totally different sports. So, IMO (I've been powerlifting since 1990), unless you have 6-8 weeks training in gear, I would suggest you do that 1st comp, raw.
    Valuable advice to listen to here. I've been training with weights for 6 years on an off. I've been "powerlifting" for about 13 months straight seriously. I thought I was doing well because I was in Iraq and everything I learned was through movies and articles. I learned quite a bit, but when I got back I started training with a group of guys and I found out quick I didn't know shit! I did my first raw meet Sept. 18 in UPA -AD (drug tested division) and took the next week off and Sept. 25 started training with gear. I found it pretty much easier to erase everything I knew about training and start from scratch. I jumped right into Multi-ply because that is where I am going to compete. It may or may not be a little easier with IPF approved gear as I believe that is all single ply. I chose to do a meet 8 weeks away from the day I started using gear so that way when I do the Pro/Am in March, that isn't my first geared meet.

There are so many different things to think about in gear. Especially squatting. That is the one I have the most trouble with. When you're in the hole there is so much pressure built up, and I'm in Inzer predator briefs and a Leviathan that are both too big for me haha. Biggest trouble I have is keeping my knees out in the hole.

With benching I try to touch too low and dump on my stomach. My upper back isn't strong enough to pull the weight through to the spot I want it to touch. I'm in a super duper phenom (even though I just ordered an Overkill) that is a size too big for me as well. I did smash 545 off of a 1 board and it flew up, but touching is a nightmare to learn.

Deadlift is easiest. The only thing you have to learn is how to get to the bar and set up properly to get what pop you may get out of the gear. I do use a single ply dl suit it is the Metal King DL suit (conventional) I believe it is legal in the IPF.

Make sure you're with people who know what they are doing, because you can get hurt if you're not.

Chump is offline New Member
    jyyyyyy

uncle_tom is offline New Member
    Hey, I was pretty much like you when I first competed.
    As I am an IPF guy, my suits had to be single ply. I went for a Super Katana - for bench- and a Super Centurion -for the squats and the deadlifts.
    It was really hard to learn how to use the bench shirt, as the material is very tough, and can cause serious injuries if you don't have spotters.
    Also, be sure that you know a lot about powerlifting and that the equipment that you'll be using is exactly for your size. And also, don't expect to improve your total if you don't improve your RAW strength.

drawsleoj is offline New Member
    i prefer to train raw

Thread Information