freakmentality is offline New Member

Deadlift Lockouts

I tried for a new max yesterday and the weight came off of the floor pretty nice, but right around knee height I just couldn't lock it out (struggled for about 2-3 seconds without the bar moving and finally just had to drop it)

I know rack pulls could help me out, are there other exercises I can do to work the last few inches?

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Lockouts, speed deads with chains and/or bands, and heavy shrugs.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    bump

maxwkw is offline Associate Member
    I like good mornings for back strength. Also, rows, chin-ups.

I have a problem with lockout strength and band resisted deadlifts seem to help.

dj fabreeze is offline New Member
    Lockout strength seems to be a problem with a lot of people. Do as Max said.

jcp2 is offline Junior Member
    Try and find some chains. I like to use about 120lbs, anything more than that seems to be too easy off the floor. Rack lockouts don't seem to help all that much as you never seem to start in the same position as a dead. Failing right around the knee is a little more than lockout as well, just get stronger overall. GM's, pullthroughs, Reverse Hypers, Hypers, GHR's, all these things work and cycle them in and out. If i had to guess you are most likely weeker in the hams and glutes, and is what really gets you through a deadlift. You have to get your hips through and have strong enough glutes and hams to lock out. Right where you missed is where you see peoples hams strain on deads.

Duckhombre is offline Associate Member
    Can you not just work on driving your hips forward? It may not be your problem, but if it was it's an easy fix.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckhombre View Post
    Can you not just work on driving your hips forward? It may not be your problem, but if it was it's an easy fix.
    explain?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dj fabreeze View Post
    Lockout strength seems to be a problem with a lot of people. Do as Max said.
    id tend to follow bgmc31's advice, how the hell are rows and chin ups going to help locking out a dlift? its a lower back finished lift

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    id tend to follow bgmc31's advice, how the hell are rows and chin ups going to help locking out a dlift? its a lower back finished lift
    Heavy rows will help the lookout somewhat because at the finish of the lift you're actually pulling the weight closer to the body (up the thighs) using your lats and upper backs. So heavy rows do help but not nearly as much as the other things I listed. Chins aren't really that important for deadlifts and very few big time deadlifters do them. BUT, guys like KK and Dan Harrison do them religiously. But these guys are also strongmen and not just powerlifters and chins/pull ups help in many strongman lifts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    Heavy rows will help the lookout somewhat because at the finish of the lift you're actually pulling the weight closer to the body (up the thighs) using your lats and upper backs. So heavy rows do help but not nearly as much as the other things I listed. Chins aren't really that important for deadlifts and very few big time deadlifters do them. BUT, guys like KK and Dan Harrison do them religiously. But these guys are also strongmen and not just powerlifters and chins/pull ups help in many strongman lifts.
    i always found if my lower back would straighten on the lift the rest was no problem, rows will help rhomboids which have a part to play, but if tht lower back gives then it doesnt matter

You are correct, Dec. If your lower back is weak, you aren't locking out the weight...no chance!!! The rows will help at the last 2-3 inches of the lock, but hip strength and lower back strength is definitely more essential.

Thread Information