Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Maverick_J8 is offline Member

How much do you bench? (Thread)

I'm hoping we can move on from referencing this type of question from the typical incompetent newbie trainer stereotype, seeing as this is in the powerlifting forum.

You see these type of threads all over the internet in forums, especially powerlifting sub-forums, but cannot find one on here.

Not so everyone can brag and bullshit and inflate some ego, but so we (especially I) know who are the strong guys so we can possibly get advice and learn from them.

Bench is something I'm really training for at the moment. Over the long term I would like to reach 400lbs - hopefully without putting on another 20lbs first.
    So, "how much do you bench"?
    Last edited by Maverick_J8; 02-11-2011 at 07:36 AM.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    525, Raw. 575 single ply shirt. The 575 was at 275lbs. The 525 Raw was at 313lbs.
    Last edited by BgMc31; 02-04-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    was working my way up to 455 but got set back. Im at about 425 right now

9za4ck4 is offline Associate Member
    weight was 187 bench was 415 raw(that was my peak)

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    best ratio was 475lbs at a body weight of 198. . most was 495lbs at a BW of 227

right now I'm slowly working back from a bad shoulder injury i suffered in Iraq. but I'm pretty sure I could get those numbers again in another month.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Man you guys suck.I aint even going to put my #s up there.Beacuse they suck.Thats some impressive benchin guys keep up the good work.

Impressive numbers.

I will never bench 500lbs, nor do I intend do. I plan to stay under 200lbs if possible. 210 maximum.

How long did it take to achieve some of these current maxes - months, years - and what type of training (whether programs or principles) have you found to work best?

EDIT: Then again, I used to say that about my weight at 180lbs. I don't want to be 200lbs. And right now I'm 200lbs. I also never used to aim higher than 315 on the bench; now I'm aiming at 405. I guess this is one of the biggest enjoyments of training for me; always finding your limits and pushing them further and further.
    Last edited by Maverick_J8; 02-10-2011 at 12:46 PM.

The sky the limit bro.I tore my rotorcuff and shreed my bicep tendon.Workin back slow.But at 52 I dont have a overdrive any more

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_J8 View Post
    Impressive numbers.

I will never bench 500lbs, nor do I intend do. I plan to stay under 200lbs if possible. 210 maximum.

How long did it take to achieve some of these current maxes - months, years - and what type of training (whether programs or principles) have you found to work best?

EDIT: Then again, I used to say that about my weight at 180lbs. I don't want to be 200lbs. And right now I'm 200lbs. I also never used to aim higher than 315 on the bench; now I'm aiming at 405. I guess this is one of the biggest enjoyments of training for me; always finding your limits and pushing them further and further.
    When I graduated high school I benched 385 at 217. When I reported to college for freshman/JC transfer football camp, I benched 405 at 227. I was 17 at the time. While playing football in college, we never focused on bench for max, our strength and conditioning coach was more into the olympic lifts. I did my a powerlifting meet before reporting to my first pro team and I benched 465 raw at 258lbs, that was 4yrs after benching 405. I was 22-23 at the time. While playing pro ball I didn't bench much, but at 27 I benched 505, at 30 I benched 525 and the 575 in a shirt. I'm 38 now, and I haven't progressed since (torn rotator cuff and various other shoulder injuries), but I bench 500+ on a weekly basis. I'm doing a raw comp in April and my plan is to bench 630 raw. So I guess 20yrs took me to bench as much as I do now. But I'm not really built for benching. I have extremely long arms (84" wingspan). But no excuses. The goal is 650 by 40...raw.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    my bench was what let me down in competition, it's shit, 170kg in a single ply shirt. long arms and just could never get it going at all no matter what i did and now that my rotators have given me a kick up the arse, im done benching for good. im more of a dlift and squat man lol

Not ment for benching? Hell guy for your so called short comings.I would be thankful.You got some good #s

Little76 is offline Associate Member
    Some very good numbers!
    Seeing as this is the PL section, all benches are paused?
    Im 6t and 176lb, not exactly built for PL yet, especially bench .
    That said, my best comp bench is 265, squat 363, dead 484.

This year I plan to get myself up to around 210lbs, then look at doing my first cycle.
    My goals for this year are 400/300/550.

Songdog, thanks brotha!!! I'm not complaining, I'm just jealous of those short armed bastards who's range of motion is like 4-6 inches! HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Like Dec, I'm more of a squat and deadlift guy. I'm built for the deadlift (plan on pulling 800 in april) and because I've had knee problems because of football, I'm hell bent on showing people you can squat super heavy again even after several knee surgeries (I plan on squatting 750+) in April.

Yeah Sticky, all benches are paused.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickyman View Post
    Some very good numbers!

This year I plan to get myself up to around 210lbs, then look at doing my first cycle.
    yep, competition style and natty. i could bounce 180kg but thats kinda pointless lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickyman View Post
    Some very good numbers!

have you an injury with your squat? most would tend to be similar weight to dlift

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    Songdog, thanks brotha!!! I'm not complaining, I'm just jealous of those short armed bastards who's range of motion is like 4-6 inches! HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Like Dec, I'm more of a squat and deadlift guy. I'm built for the deadlift (plan on pulling 800 in april) and because I've had knee problems because of football, I'm hell bent on showing people you can squat super heavy again even after several knee surgeries (I plan on squatting 750+) in April.

Yeah Sticky, all benches are paused.
    go for it! i had my knee cap torn completely out as a youngster and was told id need walking aids by my mid 20's, still went on to squat 260kgs, my training over the years actually helped the injury. it gets a bit creaky now though, im 36 almost but got a good run out of it lol

Little76 is offline Associate Member
    No, but I squat deep...... Really deep, and I lift raw of course.
    And yes, I do have an injury currently, but I got those numbers injury free. I've just started my training program to try and hit my new goals, squat is the thing I need to work hardest on.

Blog Entries
    ah yeah, if its not below paralell it aint a squat lol. if you are going like seriousily deep you could stop alittle shorter to bring the poundage up. your dlift will assist your squat also. i was lucky an exp plifter trained me from day one and he got a blank canvass to work on

Oh yeah!!! I've had 13 knee surgeries over the past 10-12 years. I've since squatted seven hundred and eighty pounds. But after my last surgery I've been stuck in the high 6s. I think it was a matter of training alone, I had fear of failure, but now that my sons are old and strong enough to spot, the fear is gone. 750 will fall in April and 800 will fall by years end!!!! GUARANTEED!!!!!

Oh yeah!!! I've had 13 knee surgeries over the past 10-12 years. I've since squatted seven hundred and eighty pounds. But after my last surgery I've been stuck in the high 6s. I think it was a matter of training alone, I had fear of failure, but now that my sons are old and strong enough to spot, the fear is gone. 750 will fall in April and 800 will fall by years end!!!! GUARANTEED!!!!!
    Let me guess; you're a home gym man down in the garage type?

It's ironic, most home garage-type trainers are the ones who are lifting elite weights. Usually Americans actually, now I think about it.

Must be the distractions in these public/commercials.
    Last edited by Maverick_J8; 02-13-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    405lbs when I was at my biggest...Nothing great but not bad for 6'2" and 21 years old.

It's ironic, most home garage-type trainers are the ones who are lifting elite weights. Usually Americans actually, now I think about it.

You nailed it Mav!!! I stopped using commercial gyms about 8 yrs ago. Against the Mrs. Wishes, I converted our guest house into a gym, lol!! The problem with commercial gyms aren't simply the distractions, but the rules. I don't have far to run if I have to puke. I don't have to worry about being an asshole because some rookies keeps asking the same questions over and over again, I don't have to weight for some youngin curling in the squat racks to finish so I can actually SQUAT!! And last but not least, I can drop 370lbs from overhead without having any saying anything to me! LOL!!!!

Blog Entries
    You nailed it Mav!!! I stopped using commercial gyms about 8 yrs ago. Against the Mrs. Wishes, I converted our guest house into a gym, lol!! The problem with commercial gyms aren't simply the distractions, but the rules. I don't have far to run if I have to puke. I don't have to worry about being an asshole because some rookies keeps asking the same questions over and over again, I don't have to weight for some youngin curling in the squat racks to finish so I can actually SQUAT!! And last but not least, I can drop 370lbs from overhead without having any saying anything to me! LOL!!!!
    i cant help but point out to them that the rack aint for tht, and now please piss off. lol

Blog Entries

yep, this is where most competitive plifters come from, i myself trained in a back street garage gym, owned by my coach, for 8yrs

JusLiftIt is offline Associate Member
    Maverick j8
    At 16 weighing 215 at 6'3 I benched 365 no shirt, I wasn't competeing at that time but IDK this might help... I grew up in a gym since I was 10 my dad was one of the top rated all around powerlifters in the world in 1999 between him his partner sam pectol and the late jerry capello, what they taught me was board presses and pause reps with compression training. It kept me from gaining weight a few lbs but the strength, technique and power from the bottom all the way through the finish I developed was outstanding. You might already do this but im just throwing things out there. when I was training power all the way at 22 weighing 265 at 6'4 I got 505 for doubles. From training like that. It worked for me amazing hard work but thats what makes it fun
    Last edited by JusLiftIt; 02-13-2011 at 06:52 PM.

38jumper38 is offline Senior Member
    Man you guys rock, can't even think about 500lbs.

I cant even think of doing 500lbs with that freaking sexy ass woman in that picture you have for urself bahahahahahahahahhahahahha

Honestly Mav, to talk about the home gym type. I think there is a difference between us home gym types and guys who do the commercial gym thang. Most of us garage gym types aren't interested in looking good, we are more about moving massive amounts of weight. I've found that commercial gym guys like the attention when they wear tight sh*t, or tank tops. Most of us home gym or warehouse gym types are fattys to most of y'all. Plus sexy women will put a dent on any workout, so in your garage gym, you can eliminate that. Unless of course your wife comes in, in nothing but a thong and a tight tank top to give you a towel...but then you can go handle you business for about 10 mins and get back to the workout right away!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Oh and by the way...most strength athletes think the bench press is the most overrated exercise in the weight room and the most impractical. Most powerlifters get their big numbers from the squat and dead, that is of course if you don't use one of these super thick, elastic rebound shirts...LOL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JusLiftIt View Post
    Maverick j8
    At 16 weighing 215 at 6'3 I benched 365 no shirt, I wasn't competeing at that time but IDK this might help... I grew up in a gym since I was 10 my dad was one of the top rated all around powerlifters in the world in 1999 between him his partner sam pectol and the late jerry capello, what they taught me was board presses and pause reps with compression training. It kept me from gaining weight a few lbs but the strength, technique and power from the bottom all the way through the finish I developed was outstanding. You might already do this but im just throwing things out there. when I was training power all the way at 22 weighing 265 at 6'4 I got 505 for doubles. From training like that. It worked for me amazing hard work but thats what makes it fun
    This was going to be a question of mine shortly; which movement has been the most effective for increasing your overall max?

Would you mind elaborating on the 'with compression training' part? And pause reps - we're referring to regular bench, whether close or reg grip, with a pause at the bottom on the chest, for say a second, then ascend as normal? I haven't tried these.

Tried off the rack presses this evening after my ME close-grip. Press off the pins style, for a few sets. Pins set at 7 inch above chest... managed 340. Clearly my very bottom off the chest strength is a weakness.

For the big benchers (kind of connected to the first question); if you were to select four ME movements (we're talking Westside type terminology here I'm afraid) to rotate for 6 month, with the aim in obviously increasing your 1rm max, what would they be? i.e. close-grip, pin presses, incline, decline, board press, floor press, dumbbells for reps, etc etc.
    Last edited by Maverick_J8; 02-14-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Honestly Mav, to talk about the home gym type. I think there is a difference between us home gym types and guys who do the commercial gym thang. Most of us garage gym types aren't interested in looking good, we are more about moving massive amounts of weight. I've found that commercial gym guys like the attention when they wear tight sh*t, or tank tops. Most of us home gym or warehouse gym types are fattys to most of y'all. Plus sexy women will put a dent on any workout, so in your garage gym, you can eliminate that. Unless of course your wife comes in, in nothing but a thong and a tight tank top to give you a towel...but then you can go handle you business for about 10 mins and get back to the workout right away!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Oh and by the way...most strength athletes think the bench press is the most overrated exercise in the weight room and the most impractical. Most powerlifters get their big numbers from the squat and dead, that is of course if you don't use one of these super thick, elastic rebound shirts...LOL!!!!!
    And blast music that's not N Sync, Backstreet Boys, or some reality TV singer winner.

Unfortunately, I won't be in a position to create my own home garage type gym for a while yet, so I will need to perservere with the commercial for the time being.
    HAving said that, my gym - actually it's called a bloody 'Health Club' - has everything a powerlifter requires. Except bands, chains etc.

It has a great power rack. Full of "squat rack curlers" though haha
    Last edited by Maverick_J8; 02-14-2011 at 01:43 PM.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    best i did was 405 three times when i was 215lbs 19 y.o.

now i could probably press up 380 or so.. i do 4 sets of 8 of 140kg(308lbs)

Board presses, floor presses, reverse band presses, band presses. I also do dumbell presses for sets of 10-12 just for pec development. But those are done on DE days. I'll throw in inclines on DE days as well, usually 3x5.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Ive only managed to hit 370lbs for 2 reps. I was up there in weight though I think I was around 245lbs. God I gotta start lifting hard and heavy again.... I tried 405 one time but failed to bring the bar all the way back up but I fought pretty damn hard lol I hate that feeling of failure.

This was going to be a question of mine shortly; which movement has been the most effective for increasing your overall max?

Would you mind elaborating on the 'with compression training' part? And pause reps - we're referring to regular bench, whether close or reg grip, with a pause at the bottom on the chest, for say a second, then ascend as normal? I haven't tried these.

Tried off the rack presses this evening after my ME close-grip. Press off the pins style, for a few sets. Pins set at 7 inch above chest... managed 340. Clearly my very bottom off the chest strength is a weakness.

For the big benchers (kind of connected to the first question); if you were to select four ME movements (we're talking Westside type terminology here I'm afraid) to rotate for 6 month, with the aim in obviously increasing your 1rm max, what would they be? i.e. close-grip, pin presses, incline, decline, board press, floor press, dumbbells for reps, etc etc.
    With pause reps im talking a grip that allows you to keep your elbows in close so it keeps you from letting your arms chicken wing out it may be uncomfortable but when you get used to it its legit for pause reps also with my pause reps i go down controlled obviously and hold it on my chest for 3 seconds to 3.5 seconds and got for 4-6 reps. That Is the #1 strength and power builder for me. Also i tweak my board presses....I pause those to cause it enables me to build strength and power the same way for that area of movement. Now onto compression training When ever you are training to max out what we did was for example on squats if my goal max was 685lbs then I would put the bars in the cage to where I had 3 inches to go up or down with the bar I would put on 750lbs because it compresses my back and gets me used to holding a weight thats way heavier than I will be able to do, in turn when your used to holding that kinda weight other lighter weight seem like nothing cause the first thing you notice when you pick up a weight is "this b***h is light'' Or "Damn this feels heavy for some reason'' Get my drift with compression training???? you'll do the same for bench press with the compression training hold that bitch for 8 seconds let that heavy weight work ya you get used to holding a weight thats hella heavy the stuff you max for will feel like nothing it build's a great mental and confident approach...Don't forget to have the safty bars up in the cage for that and maybe even someone to help you get it up off the bars so you dont waste all ur energy trying to budge that kinda weight so you have no energy to hold it.
    Another thing to rotate in would be the dbell flat bench cuz it builds stability and of course is harder than holding a bar bell cause its not one solid peice. Take those movements incorporate them into your 6 month rotation. Another thing that helps build pop in your bench are box push ups have to boxes little wider than shoulder width apart and each box be about a foot to a foot and a half tall. Start with a hand on each box do a push up then drop your hands on the floor on the inside of the boxes in a push up position when you go down explode as fast as you can so you gather enough momentum and power to land in pushup position on top of the boxes again 5 sets of 10 reps when it gets easy add wrist weight or weight on top of your back... Builds amazing speed for beching amazing pop to get that S.O.B going...
    Last edited by JusLiftIt; 02-14-2011 at 07:28 PM.

SlimJoe is offline Banned
    Lol lucky if I can 100kg I don't train big or I'm not a body builder I just keep fit and have took steroids but am not serious into body building on a cut at the moment some eph,clen

sadukar is offline Junior Member
    Incline close grips for my raw bench help the most for me. Also, presses against a mini band are great. best ever was 435@242lbs. 20 YO and natty at the time. Fat as hell though.

I also do dumbell presses for sets of 10-12 just for pec development. But those are done on DE days. I'll throw in inclines on DE days as well, usually 3x5.
    All things being equal, do you think I could effectively throw in some dumbbell presses for 3 sets on my Dynamic day?
    I haven't directly trained my chest for months now and could be an opportunity for progress.

Or, alternatively instead, maybe interchanging every other week heavy shoulders on ME day (2 working sets for 5 reps currently - barbell or dumb press) with 3 sets of dumbbell bench press? I believe the dumb bench press still works the shoulders; much more than regular barbell.
    Last edited by Maverick_J8; 02-15-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JusLiftIt View Post
    With pause reps im talking a grip that allows you to keep your elbows in close so it keeps you from letting your arms chicken wing out it may be uncomfortable but when you get used to it its legit for pause reps also with my pause reps i go down controlled obviously and hold it on my chest for 3 seconds to 3.5 seconds and got for 4-6 reps. That Is the #1 strength and power builder for me. Also i tweak my board presses....I pause those to cause it enables me to build strength and power the same way for that area of movement. Now onto compression training When ever you are training to max out what we did was for example on squats if my goal max was 685lbs then I would put the bars in the cage to where I had 3 inches to go up or down with the bar I would put on 750lbs because it compresses my back and gets me used to holding a weight thats way heavier than I will be able to do, in turn when your used to holding that kinda weight other lighter weight seem like nothing cause the first thing you notice when you pick up a weight is "this b***h is light'' Or "Damn this feels heavy for some reason'' Get my drift with compression training???? you'll do the same for bench press with the compression training hold that bitch for 8 seconds let that heavy weight work ya you get used to holding a weight thats hella heavy the stuff you max for will feel like nothing it build's a great mental and confident approach...Don't forget to have the safty bars up in the cage for that and maybe even someone to help you get it up off the bars so you dont waste all ur energy trying to budge that kinda weight so you have no energy to hold it.
    Another thing to rotate in would be the dbell flat bench cuz it builds stability and of course is harder than holding a bar bell cause its not one solid peice. Take those movements incorporate them into your 6 month rotation. Another thing that helps build pop in your bench are box push ups have to boxes little wider than shoulder width apart and each box be about a foot to a foot and a half tall. Start with a hand on each box do a push up then drop your hands on the floor on the inside of the boxes in a push up position when you go down explode as fast as you can so you gather enough momentum and power to land in pushup position on top of the boxes again 5 sets of 10 reps when it gets easy add wrist weight or weight on top of your back... Builds amazing speed for beching amazing pop to get that S.O.B going...
    Many thanks for the clarification and info.

Since I train strongman, here's what my split looks like:

On my ME bench days I either do board presses or floor presses using the set/rep range of 5,3,2,1,1,1

Then I do DE overhead presses usually 6x3 with either an axel, regular bar, or log, using bands and or chains.

My accessory lifts are usually db shoulder presses 3x8, then lockouts 3x8, and dips 2xfailure with weights chains.

Then I switch it up the next week. By this I mean I switch from ME bench to ME overhead and then do DE bench which is usually 6x3 with 70% of bench max using chains and/or bands.

accessory lifts are either db bench 3x8 or incline 3x8. Then some tricep work which is usually what I said above.

Quote Originally Posted by bgmc31 View Post
    since i train strongman, here's what my split looks like:

On my me bench days i either do board presses or floor presses using the set/rep range of 5,3,2,1,1,1

then i do de overhead presses usually 6x3 with either an axel, regular bar, or log, using bands and or chains.

My accessory lifts are usually db shoulder presses 3x8, then lockouts 3x8, and dips 2xfailure with weights chains.

Then i switch it up the next week. By this i mean i switch from me bench to me overhead and then do de bench which is usually 6x3 with 70% of bench max using chains and/or bands.

Accessory lifts are either db bench 3x8 or incline 3x8. Then some tricep work which is usually what i said above.

axel>>>>logg>>>>>>>chains=

me liken alot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information