fbcoach84 is offline New Member

Powerlifting Opportunities

I will try and keep this as short as I can sorry in advance for the long post. I currently am working as a teacher/football coach and this year I took over as head powerlifting coach for a dying program at our school. One of my athletes is an incredible natural lifter. With a lot of hard work he not only won his regionals but won the 168 class at the HS state meet. I have him signed up to compete at the NASA HS Nationals meet in OKC April 1st. We are going to bump him to 181 bc he was a large 168 and hes only a junior so we figure he'll need the experience for next year. This kid has had a hard life and after some big hearted local folks took him in as a foster kid he is just now starting to see his potential. So after all that my question is what next for this kid? I want him to branch out and get all the opportunitie available. We have some support financially but not a ton so what else can we do with him? any suggestions would be appreciated i just want to do what i can for him.

State Meet Lifts (168)

Squat - 430

Bench - 260

Dead - 525

I know he needs a lot of work but this is only with me working with him for about 3 1/2 months. With enough time I have no doubt he could be amazing. Thanks again!!

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you looking for additional meets for the kid, or are you looking for a program to help develop this kid?

sorry I was not clear...additional meets and where he might get best opportunities. when i searched I found tons of meets all over the country but like I said we dont have a lot of funds to be sending him across country just because. I was looking for the best meets thatll be most worth his time. We were lucky that nasa hs nationals are in okc which is about a 4 hour drive for us. As for programs, I have him on wendler's 5/3/1 and it seems to be working, but any suggestions would be nice if there is anything better i can do for him.
    Last edited by fbcoach84; 03-22-2011 at 06:05 AM.

btw. I am looking for raw or unequipped. thats the way we train bc there is nor equipped divisions allowed in our state for the HS meets.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Powerliftingwatch.com is the best place to look for meets. Wendler's program is what I use with my football players as well. Stay on that program until he stagnates. He's too young to keep switching programs. Use the one that works and keep with it until it doesn't.

I keep my athletes away from equipped meets. Too expensive to compete in and without a good base of natural strength then he'll never be very competitive in those meets. He needs to mature fully in his strength before going to equipped meets, IMO. Plus, RAW is making a comeback.

Good luck, sounds like the kid has a good base. Tell him to keep it up.

Thanks bro I appreciate it!

Thread Information