DFRELAT is offline Associate Member

405lbs close grip double video

Thought I'd post this in here where people might appreciate it more. The spotter touched the third one so it doesn't count! I'm really happy, had't done this in years!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXd8HTwjDPE

THEROCMANCOMETH is offline New Member
    Dang, just when I was feeling strong with a few cg reps @ 275. Amazing! thanks for posting it.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    big lift. looks strong!

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    looks like normal bench press to me. My idea of close grip is hands seperated by 6 inches

lol
    After doing that, my wrists beg to differ!

bodybuilder is offline Senior Member
    Impressive bro.

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    its def legit close grip, especially when u look at his other vids of him doing regular bench. i generally go just inside shoulder width when i close grip

The Toad is offline Associate Member
    Very nice!

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFRELAT View Post
    lol
    After doing that, my wrists beg to differ!
    exactly, extremely tough on the wrist

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Definitely impressive pressing power, brotha, good job!!! But (and I've noticed on your other bench press vids), why don't you go all the way down to the chest. That's more of a bodybuilder type bench. Is that your focus?

Well I had a nagging shoulder injury for a long time and it's not so bad when I just stop shy of my chest. I also do it to avoid any bouncing and cheating. But for argument sake, say I was entering a powerlifting meet, it wouldn't be a much of a change, I'd bring it down to my chest no problem and wait for the command.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Just FYI, the torque your shoulder takes when stopping large amounts of weight in mid-stroke puts it at greater risk than taking it all the way down to the chest. After a torn rotator cuff myself, I got that good advice from a couple of world record powerlifters and bench pressers (Jim Vironin, Steve Goggins, Ed Coan). I know the opposite is usually taught to people and a lot of bodybuilders believe this sentiment, but it's simply not true. Now doing rack presses and board presses are similar to not touching the chest, both the rack and the boards take the stress off the shoulder as you are transitioning from descending the weight to the press itself. Just a little advice from a 500+ bench presser with a history of shoulder injuries to another...

turkishexpress is offline Junior Member
    Good work. You had a lot more than that in you though.

I know BgMc31, I found it odd too when I first started doing it too, but the fact of the matter is that for the time being it hurts me less when I do it that way. Not like I'll be doing it like this for ever, but it suits me for the time being. My body has taken quite a beating over the years. Just the fact that I'm doing this after all the medical shit I've been through is a miracle in itself!

oldschoolfitness is offline Associate Member
    good lift bro been watching some of the other vids ; really enjoy. looks like your attitude is like mine get strong and let everything else take care of itself. in all the bench vids you notice the guys beside you stop working out just to watch ya!! i was wondering i noticed you lift your head when doing tricep ext., closegrips etc. does it not strain your neck doing this just something i noticed not bashing your tech at all. stay strong

Hadn't really noticed it, I'll check it out from now on lol

toothache is offline Senior Member
    That's an awesome lift, bro!

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    Just FYI, the torque your shoulder takes when stopping large amounts of weight in mid-stroke puts it at greater risk than taking it all the way down to the chest. After a torn rotator cuff myself, I got that good advice from a couple of world record powerlifters and bench pressers (Jim Vironin, Steve Goggins, Ed Coan). I know the opposite is usually taught to people and a lot of bodybuilders believe this sentiment, but it's simply not true. Now doing rack presses and board presses are similar to not touching the chest, both the rack and the boards take the stress off the shoulder as you are transitioning from descending the weight to the press itself. Just a little advice from a 500+ bench presser with a history of shoulder injuries to another...
    im actually doing my senior thesis on this fact, and am attempting to design a machine that negates these forces on the shoulder

Thread Information