DFRELAT is offline Associate Member

Dave's quest to 500lbs flat bench

I have Crohn's disease and I've been sick non stop for the last few years and stopped training completely for 2-3 years because of this. But I've been fortunate, I finally caught a break and started working out again about a year and a half ago. And when I did, the thing I wanted the most was to gain back some of my former strength, but most importantly, to get back to at least a 500lbs bench. It's been really hard but now I'm finally getting close to it. I'll be posting my progress along with pics and videos as I hopefully get it back in the following weeks.

I was really tired today but I still decided to try 5 plates. I missed it but I got a real good feel for it, I'll do better in the following weeks! I'm happy, hadn't tried this heavy in years! I put in some incline bench too, I also hadn't done this heavy on this in a real long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S42-nUU1Vns

turkishexpress is offline Junior Member
    That's really good weight given the past. You'll get the 500 in a week or two looking at the control.

Braveone is offline Junior Member
    The video won't play on my Evo. But good for you brother. My old boss had chrons and he could barely lift a pen. It's a terrible disease. Hope you take that ****in bar for a big ride.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    You have the power for sure. Did you realize that you use absolutely NO leg drive when you bench. I guarantee if you get some leg drive into your bench 500 will fly up! Looking strong, brotha!

Yeah thats one thing I have to work on.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Good luck bro.

oldschoolfitness is offline Associate Member
    500 in the future for sure. impressive!!

Still no 500lbs bench but I'm sure I would've gotten my 5 plates by myself (495lbs+/-) if I had my regular training partner with me. The guy spotting me followed the bar even though I told him to only touch it It I get stuck. He said he just followed and didn't help at all, but it still pisses me off! I count it as a miss! Second try I went to slow and got stuck, but can't complain since it's my first chest workout since I got sick and it's been over 2 weeks since the last one...Next week! Did some high reps stamina sets after, went ok, did a decent amount of reps, gave a great pump!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSbm6qG52q0

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    I would never suicide grip 495lb!! be careful bro

brad1986 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    You have the power for sure. Did you realize that you use absolutely NO leg drive when you bench. I guarantee if you get some leg drive into your bench 500 will fly up! Looking strong, brotha!
    leg drive? Maybe in a power lifting comp that might help otherwis that sounds redicules.... esspecially to train that way.... leg drive is just going to excessivly arch your lower back

Thread Information