24tyrone is offline Junior Member

deadlift lower back

yesyes powerlifters

i tried deadlifting today after a long long time, slipped a disc in back so not been able to dl for a while

warmed up on 60kg from the floor did 5 reps felt it on the lower back really hard
    then 90kg for 4reps
    then 130kg for 1 difficult rep

a few days later i tried 130kg again and got it off the ground about an inch but lower back wasnt agreeing

basically what can i do to boost this dl
    i can bend down without a weight and i get lower back pain so my lower back is hella weak
    should i lift off a rack under knees?
    i think i must be around 104kg at moment so embarrassed considering i used to have a good dl a few years back
    285kg for 3 reps with a not so bad technique and that was at a weight of about 115kg- i used to wear a belt for all workouts even biceps

now i dont use a belt and abs i guess they are weak anyway
    my goal is to build back strenght up iv had to psotpone my cycle so onc eim pulling decent weights then its a tren acetate and halo cycle

any advice appreciated

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    where is dec11 when you need him

who is he and where lol
    seems like the only threads people want to post on is a oraql only ycle so they can say add test lol

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    have you tried sumo deadlifts? they use more hips than back. can you do squats without pain?

hi patrick- i have never tried sumo deadlifts before- i have not tried to squat since the injury but before the injury i was shit at squatting my legs were fine but my lower back seemed to be taking all the strain. i was leg pressed 770kg for 13 deep reps, full stack on both leg extensions and ham curls high reps and good form, 85kg single arm hammer strength rows and 70kg dumbells so had a strong upper back/lats

not too fussed about the aquat now tbh its just the dead i want to rocket up.

thanks for any help patrick

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    when you are deadlifting what is your purpose? to be stronger or size?

hey doc, purely to be stronger

thanks for nothing fellas, fixed this myself by deadlifting 4times a week since i posted this- also my form was corrected by a powerlifter. lower back is weak though pulled 195kg x2 off the floor but could not lift more than 140kg from just below knee height(off blocks). for the next few weeks i am only going to lift off blocks no belt. i was focusing on pulling with my arms and not really using my legs or hips in the dead, im very happy hoping to have a good deadlift by around august time. need to get back to squatting next

jypoll is offline Member
    i just started doing a russian strength program and i really like it.

start with your 10 rep max, do 5 reps, then a second set of 5 reps with 10% less weight. only 2 sets. Do them slowly and focus on form.
    next session add 5 lbs then 2 sets of 5,
    every session add 5lbs, and only ever do 2 sets
    NEVER go to fail. when you can only do 4 (still not to fail but because its getting heavier) drop back to 10rep max and restart cycle.
    you can do this almost every day.

how much has your dl increased?

jypoll is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 24tyrone View Post
    how much has your dl increased?
    just started this program 3+ weeks ago. my max is 200kg and i have attempted more than 120kg for 5.
    I wont be able to comment on this program for a while.

my last comp was 4 months ago and i weighed in at 97Kg. Im gonna do this program until my next comp in 8 months, with 2 month cycles, and i plan to lift more weight at a bodyweight between 85 and 90 Kg.

Thread Information