krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member

Powerlifting routines

5x5 and 3x3... We've all heard this is the typical powerlifting routines. If I search google this Is about all I see, but I don't find in depth descriptions.

If I'm doing a 3day split, set around Bench/Deadlift/Squat. I've heard varied ideas behind strength training, should the workouts be at 80-85% of 1rm? Or does progressive training have a better effect? What exercises do you incorporate into these days?
    I've done an example for chest days. Criticise please!

Chest:
    Flat bench ---------------5x5 (100kg)
    Incline dumbell press ---3x8 (40kg)
    Dumbell flies ------------3x8 (16-20kg)
    Decline cable flies ------ til failure, drop set.

Back:
    Deadlift
    T-bar rows
    Shrugs
    Low cable rows

Legs:
    Squat
    Leg press
    Leg curl
    Calf raises
    Leg extension
    Last edited by krugerr; 09-25-2012 at 02:45 AM.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    5x5 and 3x3... We've all heard this is the typical powerlifting routines. If I search google this Is about all I see, but I don't find in depth descriptions.

If I'm doing a 3day split, set around Bench/Deadlift/Squat. I've heard varied ideas behind strength training, should the workouts be at 80-85% of 1rm? Or does progressive training have a better effect? What exercises do you incorporate into these days?
    I've done an example for chest days. Criticise please!

Chest:
    Flat bench ---------------5x5 (100kg)
    Incline dumbell press ---3x8 (40kg)
    Dumbell flies ------------3x8 (16-20kg)
    Decline cable flies ------ til failure, drop set.

Back:
    Deadlift
    T-bar rows
    Shrugs
    Low cable rows

Legs:
    Squat
    Leg press
    Leg curl
    Calf raises
    Leg extension
    looks fine to me, you just have to periodise your training, 6-8wks strength, then 4wks bb'ing style training then 1wk off and start again. in strength phase stick to 4 reps that seriously push you without form getting too bad. obviously stuff like dbell flies and cable flies should never be done heavy, keep those 10-12reps and medium weight, if you value your shoulders!

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Cool, thank you for the reply mate. I've often done 8-10weeks on and then a week off. But I've never swapped to bodybuilding routines, I tend to swap between HIIT and and powerlifting. It serves the same purpose though, it just shakes up the routine a bit? Keeps the body guessing?

anthony.fruhling is offline New Member
    I've been researching power lifting and that's the consensus it seems. The local guy I talked to said he doesn't do any body building work. The reason for that is he lifts for strength only and size isn't his goal. So I am assuming it really breaks down into what your physical goals are.

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    I pretty much ramp up everything. Except band assistance work like band press downs or pull aparts where the reps are a lot higher. But I prefer ramping 5x5 for sure.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    looks fine to me, you just have to periodise your training, 6-8wks strength, then 4wks bb'ing style training then 1wk off and start again. in strength phase stick to 4 reps that seriously push you without form getting too bad. obviously stuff like dbell flies and cable flies should never be done heavy, keep those 10-12reps and medium weight, if you value your shoulders!
    I agree with Dec but when you get into heavy triples and doubles I'd drop the flyes and cables. At that point your intensity should be way high so to keep the flyes and cables would be overtraining for me. You could keep the inclines but only a couple heavy sets to 6 reps or so. You have to consider the CNS when you go heavy.

italianstallion85 is offline Junior Member
    You won't be disappointed with 5x5 training that's for sure!

fbomb1990 is offline New Member
    Looks pretty good man, but you could throw in some sumo deads that will be a more glute and quad variation of the standard deadlift. I tend to get lazy with my sumo deads, but I've noticed when my sumo deadlift weight goes up my standard deadlift goes up, as well as my squat. I'd also throw in some wide grip dips. Alot of experts call dips "the upper body squat." Have you ever tried 8X3? It kills!

Thread Information