Cubanito17 is offline Member

GRIP PROB and FRUSTRATED to HELL!!!!

Hey guys I know there's been threads on here about grip before but there are alot of new lifters on now from that point. So I figured i'd try to get some new insight.

My training split is Mon DE Bench. I do tri,chest,shoulders,traps
    Tue ME SQ/DL and back. I do lats first,then my legs, some days i'll do bis.
    Thur ME Bench. I do tri, chest, shoulders, sometimes traps again light if anything.
    Fri DE SQ/DL and back. I do light lats, then legs, and heavy bis.

I wanted to know within that split which would be the best day to train my grip. My prob is deadlifting. I did rack pulls last TUE from the 3rd pin in the power rack. Not a powerlifter power rack the one that has the bars that you set. And at 435lbs I lost my grip so I decided to see if I could stil go up with leg/lower back strength on my own and I strapped up with my wraps. And I got 535!!!!!!! SO if my grip was stronger I know I can do ALOT more weight and I know i'm normally strong off the ground so in a meet i'd be good for 500 if I could bring up my grip strength.

At the moment the only thing i'm really doing is shrugs 5X5 and that's my grip work the reason i say that is b/c my last set of shrugs is normally 495X5, BUT!! I have to use straps and i feel gay doing like 405X3 b/c that's how long i can hold it without straps. GRIP IS WEAK

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Especially all of you 500+ DL's what do you guys do for grip.

6 weeks out to meet and i can't get my grip up,

Thanks.

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member

Re: GRIP PROB and FRUSTRATED to HELL!!!!

"My training split is..."

If you are going to use the WSB template, and you can not adhere to the 72 hour rule, add more rest time, not less. I would suggest you go to M, W, F and rotate the days

"Especially all of you 500+ DL's what do you guys do for grip."

Ditch the straps from all of your training, make a wrist roller and use it on your bench days.

Erm

ERMAN I am using the 72 hour rule within the days I'm just not doing exact days that westside uses.

And about the straps I know I wanna ditch em for good but when I know I can do more weight than I use them to push myself b/c i know my body can handle it just not my grip.

WRIST ROLLER?

if i was to rotate M W F and not do all the workouts in one week then eventually i would have two DE days back to back and two ME days back to back and that's against westside also. they would fall on weeks 3 two DE days back to back and in week 4 two ME days back to back.

I understand how my split at the moment just has one rest day in b/w ME days but unless you know of a better split to get both DE and ME days in one week on M-F then I guess that's all I can do.

(NOT trying to be rude, and I know ur trying to help but i'm just telling you how I can train b/c of my gym, and work and school schedule)

MAYBE I shoulda specified more I only use straps once my grip gives out and I know i'm good for more. And I was implying that I use straps for shrugs once I go past 405 b/c I can't hold it. I want to get rid of the straps I just need to increase my grip to come up to my DL strength and shrug strength. So i was looking for some excercises to increase my grip.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Question Cuban, when your grip has left you (405 b/c I can't hold it) have your hands opened up to a hook grip for the last rep or reps? I've been working on my grip to geyt passed 475 on DL. Curious

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member

juger when it leaves me at 405 it pretty much, YES leaves me with almost a hook grip and my hands just open up and release the weight.

erman thanks for the links i'll check those out I know I have the trainer cap crush grip, BUT i was told those aren't the best of tools to use. BOB YOUNGS recommended to me one time the rolling thunder.

strongerthanall is offline New Member
    Cubanito, I train my grip twice a week on my squat/deadlift days. Erman was right about losing the straps. It's cool to use the for shrugs but when you do lat pull downs and stuff like that I wouldn't use them at all.

You might want to try holding weight for time. I will take 405 and try to hold it for as long as I can. It seems to help.

I have a grip problem too. But my problem is that my skin tears away all the time. No matter how much I shave my calluses down they always tear.

OK I think you guys misunderstood me and I thought I cleared it up.

The ONLY time I use straps are when doing a movement that requires heavy grip work that I can't handle. I.E. If i'm shrugging with 405 I DO NOT need straps now when I move up to 465 and 495 I HAVE TO USE THEM b/c my grip isn't strong enough. I don't use straps for lats or anything else. if I'm doing pin pulls then after like 365 or so I need straps b/c my grip CAN NOT take it. I'm trying to incorp grip work to improve it so I WON'T have to use straps. I hate using them but when I KNOW I can do more weight with them b/c my grip doesn't let me then I use them.

STRONGERTHANALL thanks for the reply i've been waiting for yours especially since u train with westside. I'll start training grip twice a week on those days.
    Do you agree with how my split is set up or not? And do you switch off excercises or just hold for time?

thanks any other replys would be appreciated.

I am by no means rankin on neone replying just saying how it is.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I like what Stronger stated. I work on my grip on those days as well. However, I have not been doing HOLDS (hold a lot of weight as long as you can). Outstanding idea. I have been trying to pick up plates by the center hub (fingers only) and holding it as long as I can. 25's are tough, 35's (for me are impossible, for any length of time) and 45's......can't comment because I can't even lift them. But it's a goal. Read about them in Dinasour Training and a couple of other strength books. You guy's ever tried them?

Stronger I'd like to know about how many sets you do.

I looked back upon my own opinions when grip was a problem and I found out what i used to do and what was suggested to me so I figured i'd post it on my own thread.

GRIP EXCERCISE IDEAS:
    pinch 2 plates together
    open and close hand in bucket of sand
    forearm curls with PVC pipe
    grip holds 3 sets for time(strongerthanall said this one and a while back GRIMMER told me about this one)
    rev curls
    wrist curls
    believe it or not squessing a 2 board and trying to squeeze the 3 board until grip gives out.
    and for recovery work never stated this one before but just to test how much poundage i could grip the bathroom weight scale i would squeeze it together and then with right hand and left hand to see which one was stronger.

HOPE THIS HELPS others. If it sounds funny feel free to laugh but the weight scale thing is kinda cool to know how much pressure u have in ur hands.

Cubanito, the way you have your training set up is cool. As for how many sets, I keep it to 3 sets per exercise and I don't do more than 2 exercises in one day. I do switch up exercises. I believe its important.

Wrist curls and reverse curls are good for building muscle but big muscles are not always strong muscles. I would definetly stick with the gripping movements. Chuck Vogelpohl has one of the strongest grips I know and his favorite exercise is grabbing the end of a db and hold it for time.

Good luck!!!

STRONGER thanks man I didn't think that the split was all that bad. AND WOW you do 2 excercises and 3 sets. I normally do main movement. One tri excercise 4X8, one shoulder 3X8, one chest 3X6-8, and abs. and on leg days main movement, lats 5X6,hams5X6,quads 4X6-8, and sometimes hips and that's it. I'm normally out of the gym b/w my brother and me in about an hour if we talk which I HATE TOO but when u got hunnies walkin round u gotta do somethin when they ask how much ur liftin then it's like hour 15-30min.

thanks I will work on the grip for time and try Chuck's way. Bad thing is I DON'T have the hexagon DB's just the round one's but hey what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.

LOL! Cubanito, when I was talking about 3sets per exercise and no more than two exercises in one day I was talking about training your grip. As for actual training, I do one main exercise too and follow it up with two assistant exercises, abs and upper back work.

I hear ya about the hunnies. LOL!

OH I gotcha aigh man I was about to say DAMN at your weight you got WAY MORE ENDURANCE than me when you got 130lbs overweight than me. What do you normally do for 2 assistant excercises? and are they the same muscle groups each week or do you switch them up?

I always switch the assistance stuff. That way you got your muscles always guessing. Endurance? What's that? LOL!

ye i understand about switchin up i do it too but i mean would you do like mon tri's, lats, shoulders(direct shoulder work) then th next bench day do like shoulders(delt work) stuff like that or just about the same movement but with diff accessory movements. I can't wait to get in the gym tomm neither. I got new motivation my LITTLE BROTHER 16 years old just turned it in FEB has 18 INCH ARMS they're 1 inch BIGGER THAN MINE and i'm 2 1/2 years OLDER WTF!!!!!!!!!

about endurance, i've never heard of such thing

Thread Information