Braz_Machine is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up First time I ever used a Bench Shirt

I have a contest in two days "May 3 2003". I never used a Bench Shirt B-4 until last night. I had a shirt on Sunday but it was too small. So I had to have one expressed to me so I could use it at least one time B-4 the contest. I am glad I did because here is how last night went.

I did my pyramid workout. Went to my raw max 370 lbs. I put the shirt on loaded the bar to 380 lbs. I took the bar in my hands and started to lower the bar. It took me about 5 seconds to reach my chest. It felt like my under arms were ripping and the shirt was going to burst. I finally got to my chest and when I went to press the bar flew up so fast when I reached lock out I wasn't pushing much and failed the lift.

Then the guys told me to bring the bar down faster. It shouldn't take 5 seconds to reach your chest that I'm wasting strength that way. Also not to explode off the chest that I am loosing control that way.

The only reason I brought the bar down so slow is because the shirt hurt like hell. So I decided to suck it up and stop being a pussy.

I attempted 380 again. This time I brought the bar to my chest in about 2 seconds and pressed it with more control. Press was good.

Then I loaded the bar to 400 lbs. Brought the bar to my chest "not too slow and not too fast" Pressed it with control and the press was good.

Then I loaded the bar to 410 lbs. Brought the bar to my chest and pressed it. Press was good.

410 went up easier than 400.

I was going to go to 420 lbs and I know I would have pressed it. But the shirt was killing my under arms. So I had the guys pull the shirt off me.

At the contest I plan on opening with 400 lbs. Second lift 420 lbs. Third lift 430 lbs.

I wiegh 215 lbs. Last night the shirt added 40 lbs to my press. I figure that is good considering it was my first time ever using a bench shirt. Also this was after a full bench workout.

I'll post my results sometime saturday after the contest.

Later,
    Braz_Machine

Cubanito17 is offline Member
    Dude if that was ur first time in a shirt I CONGRATULATE YOU. i've tried using shirts and diff shirts on 3 attempts. 2 diff shirts with PLJAY and they DON'T SEEM TO WORK FOR ME. I hate it b/c i'm at a disadvantage. BUT I guess I just have to work with them more.

How'd u go about measurements on ordering your shirt?

Nice lift by the way good luck sat. REST UP

Go to this site.

http://www.monstermuscle.com/bench-shirts.asp

I measured shoulders 55", Chest 48", and arms 17" hanging to the sides of body. These are the measurements you put in at the site above and it will tell you what size shirt you should use.

My shirt is a 58 size.

It takes 3 guys to pull the shirt over me. You might me using a shirt that is too big because it should help you. I can't see them not. The shirt is so tight I can't pull my arms back and when I bring the bar to my chest it doesn't seem possible that the bar will reach my chest b-4 it rips apart. But it does. If this is not what you experience then the shirts you use are too big. It two guys have a hell of a time getting you into one. Which should take about 5-10 minuites. Then it is small enough.

Later,
    Braz_Machine

hey man well the thing is the 3 shirts are not to my measurements in fact i think one is smaller than what it should be, the other is just about right, and one is too big. BUT I can fit into them just I can't get them to work for me. I think it's my lat strength which is REALLY WEAK. Along with that the fact that unless i travel 3 hours I can't get shirt help and right now I can't be doing traveling. So i'll just lift raw til then.

Thanks for the link

Bros,

I weighed in at 216 lbs. I opened with 400 lbs. It was good. Second lift 420 lbs. It was good. Third lift 430 lbs. Failed. I placed first in my division. The best lifters award went to a dude who pressed 430 lbs which was the biggest bench of the contest and weighed 193 lbs. He also pressed a personal best of 440 lbs.

I was worried about opening with 400 because in the warm up room 350 went up slow and heavy. I know I wouldn't have been able to press 370 raw. And I'm not so sure I would have even been able to press 360 raw.

But the good thing is the shirt added 60 -70 pounds to my bench.

Next year I want to press 450 raw and 500 or more with the shirt and stay in the 220 division.

Later,
    Braz_Machine

TheyoungJason is offline New Member
    awesome job dog!!! that bench shirt really works for you if you're adding that kind of weight to your press. keep up the great work and good luck with that 500!

-young Jason

strongerthanall is offline New Member
    Congrats on the pr!!!

Dude that's awesome. hit the 3,4,5 boards HARD and that 500 will be yours.

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    WOW! That is a heck of BP! Congrats on the 420!

Erm

Thread Information